Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vuelta Stage 3: Into the Mountains Already-Andorra
Quote | Reply
Not an uphill finish but a first mountain stage to see whose legs are "on" after Grand tours earlier this year (Giro, France).

Here we go with 2x Cat 1 and one Cat 2. But nothing really steep enough combined with length to make a massive delta. If anyone is going to make a diff they they have to go at the Cat 1 with 31K left, and drill it hard to open a gap on the descent and then go crazy on the shorter steep Cat 2 that is only 4.3K long. This sounds like a stage for Bardet to go hard and ride everyone on the brink of disaster on the final two descents before the finish in Andorra la Vella:

• Km 127.0 - Col de la Perche19.5 kilometre-long climb at 4.8% - category 1
  • Km 31.0 - Coll de la Rabassa.13.3 kilometre-long climb at 6.8% - category 1
  • Km 7.1 - Alto de la Comella4.3 kilometre-long climb at 8.6% - category 2

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 21, 17 5:17
        Quote Reply
        Re: Vuelta Stage 3: Into the Mountains Already-Andorra [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
        Quote | Reply
        The Vuelta is one of my favorite races because of crazy stages like this. I have no idea what will happen, but I am going to go with a breakaway. GC guys are probably going to look at each other when there are basically 3 weeks left to race.

If a GC guy goes for it, I am betting it is Contador. Last race and he is good at this kind of crazy shite.
        Quote Reply
        Re: Vuelta Stage 3: Into the Mountains Already-Andorra [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
        Quote | Reply
        Quote:
        Not an uphill finish but a first mountain stage to see whose legs are "on" after Grand tours earlier this year (Giro, Vuelta).

I was thinking, first, that if someone doesn't know which Grand Tours came earlier and needed to be informed, then they are really not going to understand most of the rest of the post. Then, I realized that you don't know what Grand Tours came earlier this year.

But please don't let my editorial deter your great daily GT posts.

Edit: I don't expect much to happen. Break to take it.

________
        It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
        Last edited by: H-: Aug 20, 17 21:24
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Any idea how technical those last 2 descents are? The sort of place where a solo rider throwing caution to the wind can make up some time?
        Quote Reply
        Re: Vuelta Stage 3: Into the Mountains Already-Andorra [H-] [ In reply to ]
        Quote | Reply
        H- wrote:
        Quote:
        Not an uphill finish but a first mountain stage to see whose legs are "on" after Grand tours earlier this year (Giro, Vuelta).

I was thinking, first, that if someone doesn't know which Grand Tours came earlier and needed to be informed, then they are really not going to understand most of the rest of the post. Then, I realized that you don't know what Grand Tours came earlier this year.

But please don't let my editorial deter your great daily GT posts.

Edit: I don't expect much to happen. Break to take it.

Hey, look it was just before bed time and I was just writing fast before getting the thread up for the next day....of course I (and anyone opening this thread) know what Grand Tours happened earlier. Hey if you had just said, "I think you meant TdF right?", that would have been better because clearly that is what I meant (I was putting up the daily thread for the TdF, so kind of impossible to have forgotten it happened right?). Anyway I fixed it, so now let's move on to actually discussing the race rather than complaining about other posters as there are plenty of threads on ST that take care of ensuring that there is an endless supply of hammering others.
        Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 21, 17 5:28
        Quote Reply
        Re: Vuelta Stage 3: Into the Mountains Already-Andorra [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
        Quote | Reply
        cartsman wrote:
        Any idea how technical those last 2 descents are? The sort of place where a solo rider throwing caution to the wind can make up some time?

No idea how technical they are. I don't recall anything hyper technical at other Grande Tour visits to Andorra. Now there is a break up front with 4 min after the first climb. DeGent in the break AGAIN. The guy is a monster. I don't know who else is in the break (there appear to be around 10 of them).
        Quote Reply
        Re: Vuelta Stage 3: Into the Mountains Already-Andorra [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
        Quote | Reply
        The last descent looks pretty technical. Maybe Nibbles can put some time into his GC rivals there?

Quote Reply
        Re: Vuelta Stage 3: Into the Mountains Already-Andorra [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
        Quote | Reply
        ClayDavis wrote:
        The last descent looks pretty technical. Maybe Nibbles can put some time into his GC rivals there?

That looks like it had the potential for a fun free fall drag race between Nibbles, Bardet and Froome!!! I don't think any of these guys can get away form each other, but I think they can get away from Aru
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Sorry, I posted right before bedtime myself, and that came out harsh instead of tongue in cheek as I was intending. As I said though, please keep up the good work with your daily race posts.

Meanwhile, we have reduced bunch approaching final climb. Somebody will try something, but will Sky train make it impossible to get away?

________
        It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        I am at the physio so if you post play by play on the final climb it would be awesome. I cannot see anyone getting away, but I am interested to see whose legs are dead after a long season.
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Two KM to go on last climb, Sky train. Contador dropped. Not looking like anyone will go on the climb due to Sky train.

________
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Barguil dropped as well.

________
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Love watching Froome, the guys races with balls, first big day and he is ripping it.
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Froome and Chaves attack group 1 km from top about 8km to go.

________
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Sky hit the final climb with a massive surge, caused an instant selection, froome attacked half way into the climb and Chaves followed, bardet and aru following.
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Group of 7 chasers splintering. Carnage.

________
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        On the descent, group is totally blown apart, froome chaves still up front, aru in 3rd, bardet following right behind, contador is already 2;10 behind.
        Quote Reply
        Re: Vuelta Stage 3: Into the Mountains Already-Andorra [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
        Quote | Reply
        Aru and Bardet in sight of Froome and Chaves. Looks like winner will come from this group of four.

________
        Quote Reply
        Re: Vuelta Stage 3: Into the Mountains Already-Andorra [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
        Quote | Reply
        looks like froome, chaves, aru, bardet are about to come together on the descent. Nibali, Zakarin, TVG chasing behind.
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Ron_Burgundy wrote:
        looks like froome, chaves, aru, bardet are about to come together on the descent. Nibali, Zakarin, TVG chasing behind.
        did the cameras just not cover nibali's return to the front group/???

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
        2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        All come back together with 1k to go, froome did an early attack but caught with .7k to go, nibali countered and won. Froome, Bardet, Aru, Chaves, TVG, de la cruz right behind. Zakarin lost some time, contador is done.
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Nibali group of 5-6 came back from 16 seconds behind on descent to catch lead group in final KM. Nibali goes with about 200 meters to go to take the win.

________
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        Awesome Vuelta so far, only thing stinks for me is missing any weekend stages.

Olympic Channel is not part of my cable package so no primetime replays, and missing the key stages over Labor Day weekend.
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        H- wrote:
        Nibali group of 5-6 came back from 16 seconds behind on descent to catch lead group in final KM. Nibali goes with about 200 meters to go to take the win.

thanks for the updates. It sounds like Nibali does not have his legs "yet" and may have a tough time contending and the only reason he won was due to his descending....Contador and Barguil relegated to stage hunting already? I did not think most of the climbing today would be steep enough to drop those guys "that easily today".

We're on day three and the entire race is already wide open. Super to see Teejay hanging on today and also my local boy Mike Woods from Cannondale (he's from our city) in the top 15 overall. Woods only fluked into riding as detour from his olympic running dreams while injured and some local tri guys taking him out for some riding and he was dropping all the best local studs on a $100 bike and running shoes
        Quote Reply
        Quote | Reply
        I follow Woods since this years Tour de Suisse and his heartbreaking breakaway. The swiss reporter told his story and that made me chear for him even more. When did he take up cycling? At 24?

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
        Quote Reply

Prev Next