Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vuelta Stage 2: Flat but this is Mistral Wind country!!!!
Quote | Reply
One of the most miserable days of cycling in my life was from Perpignan in France (right near Spain) to Narbonne and from there to Montpellier during a solo bike tour I did after graduating from college in 1988. Basically I was riding the opposite direction of the Vuelta tomorrow. I woke up on the camp ground in Perpignan which is 90K or so south west of Sunday's stage finish in Narbonne, and my tent had almost collapsed from the strong wind of the Mistral. I got on my bike and was barely holding 12 kph into the crazy wind.

Biking by the beach, the windsurfers were going insane ripping on the sea, and the crazy thing is the beach is permanently lined up with ambulances and rescue boats because these windsurfers are going way too fast for their own good. Something told me that this was not the ideal place for cycling with the Mistral wind whipping down from the Pyranees towards the sea. I barely moved on the bike for something like 6-7 hours over the first 90K to get to Narbonne and at that point, made a gradual right bend towards Montpellier/Nimes and suddenly I was riding at 65 kph for the final 1.5 hour 90K or of riding with a cross tail. It was absolutely insane. Never ridden in wind like that, never want to again.

Tomorrow's Vuelta ride to Narbonne looks like a cross headwind coming from the right of the riders, but the gusts are only up to 35 kph. Still enough to cause a split as the area can be really exposed especially the area along the sea:

You can see on the map that exposed section along Marseillan Plage. it's basically a road with water on each side. In any case if a breakaway does not get away this is a sprinter stage before they hit the mountains on day 3 going to Andorra on Monday.
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 2: Flat but this is Mistral Wind country!!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the crosswind days. If the wind blows, look for Bardet to have is Vuelta ruined. Quick Step and maybe BMC could do some damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 2: Flat but this is Mistral Wind country!!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep the GC teams will really want to be at the front of the Peloton to control things. Could be interesting - wasn't it a day of crosswinds that lost the TdF for quintana the other year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's one of the wild card days, all about placement. No way to predict prereace who will win.
Is Tiz working out for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 2: Flat but this is Mistral Wind country!!!! [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both Tiz and cycling.tv it says the coverage is due to start (cycling.tv says 9 am EDT). So I am waiting.

Some quotes from cycling news:

"Today, we will have to wait and see how decisive the wind is and exactly how selective it's going to be. In my opinion, it will split somewhere, so we need to be on the right side of that," Chris Froome told the Vuelta's media people this morning.

Our Spanish correspondent Alasdair Fotheringham has just arrived at the finish in Gruissan. Before he attacks the press buffet, he sends us the following weather update.

"It's blowing a gale. Sunny, not a cloud in the sky. But really, really windy. The finish is out on the coast. Virtually no cover, very exposed in general."

Accuweather has the predicted 35 kph NW wind from last night blowing in Narbonne right now. Organizers picked three interesting days to start the Vuelta. TTT, wind day, and first mountain day into Andorra. Now we just need Froome to do a duo attack like he did with Sagan and Bodnar last year!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 20, 17 6:00
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 2: Flat but this is Mistral Wind country!!!! [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
It's one of the wild card days, all about placement. No way to predict prereace who will win.
Is Tiz working out for you?

I am on cycling.tv (first 3 stages for free) in Canada and it is working well. Peloton all intact at the 100 km point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wind directions today from cyclingnews text feed:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at the map above you can see where it goes from cross headwind to headwind to full on tailwind in the last 40K of racing. At 64k to go, Lotto, Sunweb and Sky controlling the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a perfect Mistral country day...can you see the trees bent over sideways:

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 20, 17 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL at 50 K to go, the entire Peloton has to come to a halt at a railway crossing due to the TGV! Luckily no breakaway ahead.

So far a snoozer on this stage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a move by QS and Lampaert. Love seeing the big boys smash it and get some.
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 2: Flat but this is Mistral Wind country!!!! [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
What a move by QS and Lampaert. Love seeing the big boys smash it and get some.

I had to pull out of watching the last 40K to hit the outdoor pool for the last outdoor swim of the season (I have no idea why they close it to early....it could easily go to mid Sep). In any case, pretty cool stage. The race dynamic worked reasonably well per the intentions of the organizers. If there was a breakaway when the peloton got stopped due the TGV that would have been very interesting. In terms of the GC I am happy that the time gaps were there but generally small. No one won or lost the Vuelta today, but a few strengthened their positions (namely Froome). The pretenders like Contador keep bleeding away small amount of time. This is the cool thing about Froome. He never bleeds away small amounts of time when he does not need to. He is always in good position and reacting appropriately.

Chapeau to Quickstep. Those guys are having a great year. cycling.tv coverage was excellent. I'll be signing up for the $12 USD package after day 3. Will be worth every penny since I can watch it live and then replay till I am blue in the face. Better than my PVR because I don't even need to hit 'record'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
No one won or lost the Vuelta today, but a few strengthened their positions (namely Froome). The pretenders like Contador keep bleeding away small amount of time. This is the cool thing about Froome. He never bleeds away small amounts of time when he does not need to. He is always in good position and reacting appropriately.

Froome lost 8secs to Nibali, which I'm sure he's not happy about since he considered Nibali his biggest threat.
Last edited by: jsk: Aug 20, 17 21:47
Quote Reply
Re: Vuelta Stage 2: Flat but this is Mistral Wind country!!!! [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
McNulty wrote:
No one won or lost the Vuelta today, but a few strengthened their positions (namely Froome). The pretenders like Contador keep bleeding away small amount of time. This is the cool thing about Froome. He never bleeds away small amounts of time when he does not need to. He is always in good position and reacting appropriately.

Froome lost 8secs to Nibali, which I'm sure he's not happy about since he considered Nibali his biggest threat.

Sorry I missed that. At while point did Nibali sneak away from Froome?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sorry I missed that. At while point did Nibali sneak away from Froome?
When Quickstep attacked at the end. Nibali came in with the front group (just barely, in 10th), Froome was in a group that came in 8 secs back.
Quote Reply