Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Voss Bikes
Quote | Reply
Anyone know anything about Voss Bikes? A friend of mine is looking around and asked me about them.

Chinese carbon frames?

Reviews?
Quote Reply
Re: Voss Bikes [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Owner is a local here in CT. Really good guy, lots of guys ride the frames and wheels to great success. Supports youth tri and cycling in CT. Other than that I have never ridden them but know the reputation.

USAC, Health and Nutrition Coach
http://www.echelonhealthcoaching.com
use code SLOWTWITCH for %15 off
Quote Reply
Re: Voss Bikes [jw67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw67 wrote:
Owner is a local here in CT. Really good guy, lots of guys ride the frames and wheels to great success. Supports youth tri and cycling in CT. Other than that I have never ridden them but know the reputation.

I know it's been a year, but have you seen or heard anything further about them or the quality of their bikes? considering a new Tri Frame from them and looking for some references.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Voss Bikes [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a ton of friends on Voss bikes. Well made and the owner will take care of you. Tell him Jeff Weaver sent you. They also support the youth teams in Connecticut.

USAC, Health and Nutrition Coach
http://www.echelonhealthcoaching.com
use code SLOWTWITCH for %15 off
Quote Reply
Re: Voss Bikes [jw67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jeff - if i go that route, i will. glad to see they support local stuff, i'm in CT too. i'm normally not so concerned about what the bike looks like but the one that was offered in my price range, is a bit crazy looking!
Quote Reply
Re: Voss Bikes [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are Chinese open mold frames. Not a good or bad thing, just is what it is.

http://www.ebay.com/...c:g:sXYAAOSwmLlYB1bQ

http://www.ebay.com/...a2e9b:g:G4EAAOSw-CpX~fKh

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Voss Bikes [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's fine that its chinese Carbon. the fact that they have a local store front makes it so there's a reasonable contact if there is a problem with the bike vs having to deal direct. but does this mean that this isn't a bike designed by Voss? is it just something they researched and purchased and slapped a sticker on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gskalt wrote:
that's fine that its chinese Carbon. the fact that they have a local store front makes it so there's a reasonable contact if there is a problem with the bike vs having to deal direct. but does this mean that this isn't a bike designed by Voss? is it just something they researched and purchased and slapped a sticker on?

They probably don't design the frames themselves (they may get to spec the grade of carbon, depending on the shop but the mold is pre-existing). As you pointed out the main advantage is having some stateside service and QA.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Gskalt wrote:

They probably don't design the frames themselves (they may get to spec the grade of carbon, depending on the shop but the mold is pre-existing). As you pointed out the main advantage is having some stateside service and QA.

well, they do say this "We hand-build each bicycle one at a time and fully test it before we ship it to you. Our mission is to ensure you have the best cycling experience of your life. Please excuse some dirt on your tires. When we say test, we mean it."

i'm only looking for a frame, so not sure what this really means. i would pick a size, so unless they're only having them produced individually, which doesnt make sense, i dont know what to make of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It means its a generic frame that they have painted with their name on it.
When they say hand build, they are just talking about putting all the components on, and test riding it.

If you were to just buy a frame from them (if you can...I have no idea), then probably/hope they would do a quick inspection of it, make sure it isn't cracked, etc.

Why not phone them and ask?
Quote Reply
Re: Voss Bikes [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
It means its a generic frame that they have painted with their name on it.
When they say hand build, they are just talking about putting all the components on, and test riding it.

If you were to just buy a frame from them (if you can...I have no idea), then probably/hope they would do a quick inspection of it, make sure it isn't cracked, etc.

Why not phone them and ask?

OK Gotcha. they'd be putting on my components since its only a frame. ive been in touch with them, but wanted to get some other opinions besides their own website. not being a name you see on a daily basis, i've got some hesitation since i dont know how reputable they are. but as mentioned earlier, they're not too far from me and if there's a problem with the product, i have a local person to deal with. just need to find something in the price range i can handle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do they charge for the frames? Doesn't seem to be posted on their site?
Quote Reply
Re: Voss Bikes [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the lower end one was about $800, next up was closer to $1300. the lower end one is in my range, but was really ugly. i couldnt get past it! i'm actually looking at A-D bikes (http://www.a-dbikes.com) and maybe a QR frame via an online dealer. A-D is another one where its sourced from China/Taiwan but has a physical presence in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct, we OEM / ODM frames. For frames, we specify carbon grade, resin brand, paint design, frame hardware, have input over molds (new and future improvements), QA here before we pass it to the athlete, and of course as mentioned above, we provide local USA warranty and support. I can assure you will not be disappointed.
In addition, athlete can hand pick components - for example a preferred saddle and/or handlebar- and we build/customize based on choices.
Last edited by: JLujambio: Sep 14, 17 16:46
Quote Reply
Re: Voss Bikes [JLujambio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome to slowtwitch. visit the reader forum more often ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds crazy, but yes, we produce them to order. Athlete can customize paint design, carbon grade, and resin to use. Unfortunately, it is not cost effective (makes not feasible business) to have stock for all combinations and sizes. Although, we have some stock for common sizes.
Quote Reply
Re: Voss Bikes [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
What do they charge for the frames? Doesn't seem to be posted on their site?

We do not post prices, because it depends on athlete choices on frame customization and components.
Quote Reply