Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX
Quote | Reply
Looking for a quick opinion. I've got my first Ironman coming up at the end of August (Louisville) and my current Vittoria Rubino Pro 700x20 tires have about 2k miles on them. I want to go ahead and replace them now and put some miles on my new tires before the race. I'm right at 200 pounds and run American Classic 420 Aero rims so I keep the tires at 140 - 145 psi to prevent pinch flats with my weight, and knock on wood it's working. Have loved the Vittoria tires and want to stick to that brand.

Looking at all the rave reviews of the Open Corsa EVO CX but can't find any reviews on the Open Tirathlon EVO. I see that Vittoria touts them as "made for Ironman". Any opinion on the difference other than the Open Triathlon only comes in a 22 width?

Was also considering that even though I've been happy with the 700x20 I've been riding was wondering if I go Open Corsa EVO CX if there is any reason to go 700x23 (like maybe my weight)?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [mcornelia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to hear the consensus from others about the Corsa vs. Triathlon.

You could consider switching to a 23 in the rear. Wider tires themselves help reduce pinch flats, you can run lower pressure which reduces rolling resistance, and there's a "better behaved" contact patch with the road.

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [mcornelia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC the Triathlons have a butyl inner, so that they can be pumped up the night before and left in transition for 12hrs (or whatever) without losing pressure.

The Evo CXs have a latex inner and should therefore be faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently got the Open Corsa EVO CX on my Tri-bike, I have Rubino Pros on my other bike. The difference is absolutely noticeable. I am running 20mm @ 110psi (but on 650 wheels and I am lighter than you). Sorry I can't offer an opinion on the Triathlon version. I think the difference that I notice is because of the 320 "TPI", which just makes the tire seem absolutely silent, and smooth on rough pavement.

Which ever way to go, I think you will enjoy the upgrade to 320 TPI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had nothing but problems with my Open Corsa Evo CX at 145 to 160. I've probably had 4 flats on my rear tire in a span of 2 weeks. Switched to a gatorskin...Not sure yet what I am going to do next...maybe I just got a bad tire...

I am 6ft 192, and the tire was a 23 mm...
Last edited by: trihacklete: Jul 23, 12 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [trihacklete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are over 120psi you should probably be sizing up. I have 20mm front and 23mm rear and weigh 155 (110 psi front, 105 rear).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had both. Both are excellent tires, IMO, and roll well.

The triathlon has a little more protection from flats and has a smoother tread surface. I would say it's comparable to the Conti 4000 Force. It feels like the CRR is fairly low, but I'm not sure it has been tested like the Corsa has.

However, the Corsa is, IMO, the best tire on the market. It has an incredible CRR for a clincher, it's easy to mount, and with the 320 tpi, the road feel is amazing. Yet, this performance has the cost of reduced resistance to cuts. This is my "go to" tire for training and racing. And it's available in colors (white is faster)

Having said that, I used a set for a full training season of about ~2000 mi before I felt that I needed to replace them. For some people this is too much wear, but others will change tires at 1000 mi. I'm on the lower end of the scale. I consider tubes and tires a consumable item, so I don't get bent when they wear out.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [trihacklete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
145 to 160 psi? Or is that your range of body weight?
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [Sloggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sloggy wrote:
IIRC the Triathlons have a butyl inner, so that they can be pumped up the night before and left in transition for 12hrs (or whatever) without losing pressure.

The Evo CXs have a latex inner and should therefore be faster.

Open means clincher in Vittoria speak.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That should of read 140 to 145.
Last edited by: trihacklete: Jul 23, 12 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, at least I am now slightly less ignorant!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140+ psi sounds pretty damn high for a clincher. Remember, the same tread gets glued onto the clincher and tubular casing (at least for the set I have), so the psi might be for the tubular. Are you possibly extruding your tube into a partially covered spoke hole in the rim? I'd spend the $5 and replace your rim tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode the 23mm open Evos for years at 120 psi front and rear with no pinch flats at all. My weight at that time was 6'4" 255 lbs. I agree with the other poster about a new rim strip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
consider using a diamante pro radiale 700x22 front and 700x24 rear. It's not quite as supple as the corsa evo CX, but more so than a gp4000S. I found it to be more flat resistant than the corsa and last nearly twice as long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 200 pounds and run the Open Corso EVO CX 23/25 front/rear. The wider tires allow for lower pressures. I've done one half and one full on them plus countless training miles with only one pinch flat which was the result of riding into a 3" wide by 2' long hole in the asphalt at 30 mph. I'm lucky I did not crash. It would have flatted a Gatorskin. If your wheels won't accommodate the 25 in back, definitely go 23/23. I tried 21/23 and the pressures I had to run in front were unacceptable to me. On the 23/25, I run 105-110 in each. If the triathlon version is butyl, well that's a non-starter.

Panabax

We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.—Robert Wilensky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to Vittoria's site the other differences are the tread (slick for the triathlon versus the diamond tread of the CX) and weigh (20 g at most in favo of the triathlon). Both tires use the 320 TPI casing which is fantastic, and since they both are clinchers they will both take the same latex tubes(butyl for your spare).

I would pick based on where I am racing. For less than 20g more the CX gives you a more versatile tread (it rained and hailed in August when I did IMC) and maybe a better ride at your weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for everyone's input! I'm guessing that the Open Triathlon tire might be new(er) and hence less feedback on it - but I went ahead and ordered a set. The only thing I'm ever-so-slightly concerned about is the lack of tread and of course no idea of what the weather will hold on race day. But my road bike has slicks and I've never experienced traction problems on wet roads. Will probably try the Corsa's next time and see if I can tell the difference - maybe something only a seasoned pro could tell.

Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [Frenchman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frenchman wrote:
According to Vittoria's site the other differences are the tread (slick for the triathlon versus the diamond tread of the CX) and weigh (20 g at most in favo of the triathlon). Both tires use the 320 TPI casing which is fantastic, and since they both are clinchers they will both take the same latex tubes(butyl for your spare).

I would pick based on where I am racing. For less than 20g more the CX gives you a more versatile tread (it rained and hailed in August when I did IMC) and maybe a better ride at your weight.

Tread on a bicycle tire has no impact on performance (well, other than to increase rolling resistance if it gets too crazy). The contact patch is so small that water is pushed out automatically. On a car tire, tread is used to push water away from the tire because the contact area is so large that the water gets trapped underneath the tire.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not talking about water and hydroplaning. But I might also be incorrect to think that the diamond tread helps grip a little bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihacklete wrote:
I have had nothing but problems with my Open Corsa Evo CX at 145 to 160. I've probably had 4 flats on my rear tire in a span of 2 weeks. Switched to a gatorskin...Not sure yet what I am going to do next...maybe I just got a bad tire...

I am 6ft 192, and the tire was a 23 mm...

You are running way, WAY too much pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to go ahead and replace them now and put some miles on my new tires before the race.

I recommend that you put about five miles on your new tires before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah - only a few miles? No more testing than that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you want to test?
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Triathlon EVO vs. Open Corsa EVO CX [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol - good point I suppose. I did get a bad tire once, one of the beads was slightly too large and it would cause pinch flats with the tiniest bumps in the road, like every 15 to 50 miles before the bead finally failed all together. At first I thought it was just a string of bad luck that I had four flats in four rides (okay - so maybe I'm not that quick).

But I guess your bigger point is that a brand new tire performs better than one with say 200 miles on it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But I guess your bigger point is that a brand new tire performs better than one with say 200 miles on it?

No.

A tire that has 200 miles on it is likely to have a few small cuts in it. A new tire doesn't have any cuts.
Quote Reply

Prev Next