Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c It's coming!
Quote | Reply
I was at the weekly criterium series race last night and saw a preproduction sample of the new 25c Corsa speed. One of my friends is the product manager for i9 and had received it from Vittoria. I picked up on it immediately. He said that they are not on the market yet, but should be coming soon. The hot patch on the tire looked production. This has the potential to be even faster than the 23c. It will probably become the go to rear tire.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c It's coming! [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a 23 up front?
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c It's coming! [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I would do.

It will be interesting to see how much faster it rolls.

iamuwere wrote:
With a 23 up front?

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! The idea of a 25mm on the rear... probably measuring close to 28mm on a modern rim.... at something like 70psi sounds really comfy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd rather a 22mm version for up front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know a whole bunch about tires, better than gp4000II?

Currently running 25c front and back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubular or Clincher
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c It's coming! [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TLR Clincher

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
That's what I would do.

iamuwere wrote:
With a 23 up front?

Wouldn't that be a hugely rim-dependent decision? For example, Enve states that their new wheels are optimized for a state tire width of 25mm. In that case wouldn't it be better to run 25 F/R?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c It's coming! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we're getting to a point where we can't really talk about a "23mm" or "25mm" tire, because these are just numbers and can mean different things for (i) different manufacturers and makes or tires on (ii) different width rims.

Just as an example, I run the 23mm Pro Ones on my Aeolus TLR wheels. The Pro Ones are wide for their stated 23mm width and the Aeolus TLR's are wide and will expand a tire more than on a "standard" rim. The 23mm Pro One measures out at almost 27mm across when mounted on my Aeolus TLRs. So I am pretty sure that moving up to the 25mm width would violate the 105% Rule when mounted on these wheels.

Other tires advertised as 23mm actually measure out narrower than the Pro Ones and so the 25mm version of those tires might well work on my wheels. But each tire is different and we all have different width wheels so I think it's time we all own a pair of calipers and measure actual tire width on our wheels and use the manufacturers' stated width as guidance only.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c It's coming! [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, totally agree. Although that does give the potential of ordering tires, mounting, measuring, finding that they are the 'wrong' width for your wheel, and then possibly not being able to return due to the tires having been mounted.

The point of my earlier post was that Enve goes out of their way to specify 'branded':

Enve wrote:
As such, SES Disc wheels are wider and optimized for tires with branded widths of 25mm.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Referring to rolling resistance. The tires aren't that aero outside of a small window, but "Crr makes up for a lot of aero sins" (credit: TomA).

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25 on the back is still a pretty good choice since in TT bikes they are pretty shielded. The wheels I've seen tested that are "designed for 25mm" still test faster with a 23.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I had written the numbers down, but when I first went tubeless, I planned on auditioning three tires, (1) Schwalbe Pro One 23mm, (2) Maxxis Padrone 23mm and (3) Specialized S-Works Turbo 24mm, and i measured each tire across it's carcass (uninflated).

I'm *pretty sure* that the Pro One measured widest, even more than the Specialized with a wider "stated width." I ended up really liking the Pro Ones and with the rolling resistance and reviews out there, never actually mounted the other two tires. I would guess that they would measure out narrower when mounted, since they were physically narrower bead to bead when laid flat, but maybe there is some magic shape property to one or both of them that would challenge my assumption. Of course, if they did measure wider than expected when mounted, this would seem to mean that they were "flatter" tires and that would seem to be sub-optimal from an aero perspective.

I don't think we can ask much more from Enve than for them to say a given rim shape is designed for use with a tire with a "stated" width of __mm, but I do think there is variation within tires of the same stated width and so the recommendation is really a good starting point but not necessarily the optimal end point.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:
That's what I would do.

iamuwere wrote:
With a 23 up front?

Wouldn't that be a hugely rim-dependent decision? For example, Enve states that their new wheels are optimized for a state tire width of 25mm. In that case wouldn't it be better to run 25 F/R?

That is why I was so curious to take the Enve 7 to the wind tunnel and find out. If it was me, I wouldn't be running a 25 upfront based on what I found. Marketers will be marketers. I would love to see Enve release their own data on this. Using it as a "25mm designed" allows them to further differentiate their product from competitors.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 18, 17 18:02
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c It's coming! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing this when searching the forum one day. No idea why this data isn't available from their site.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5739456#p5739456
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
25 on the back is still a pretty good choice since in TT bikes they are pretty shielded. The wheels I've seen tested that are "designed for 25mm" still test faster with a 23.

I'm on a P3C so my rear wheel is really well-fared, and I'm riding a rigid carbon disc wheel... so this tyre is really interesting to me. But even with the frame shielding the leading edge, how important is the trailing edge? And the tyre/rim interface at that point? My disc is pretty narrow so I'm mindful of a large bulge at the trailing edge just where the airflow reattaches.

But it might not matter very much! I know which approach my arse would prefer.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c It's coming! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trailing edge makes a difference according to Zipp and others. If the 25 is really wide on your wheel you'd probably be well served just to run a 23 and drop the PSI down 5 or so.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD is going to be upset with you that you released breaking news before he did ;-)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c It's coming! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't think I didn't think of that. haha. I'm surprised I didn't get a text or FB message. I guess he's panic training for Raleigh 70.3.

desert dude wrote:
BryanD is going to be upset with you that you released breaking news before he did ;-)

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c It's coming! [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxTT wrote:
I remember seeing this when searching the forum one day. No idea why this data isn't available from their site.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5739456#p5739456

that test was using gp4ks though which are taller than most other models so reasonable that they will hold aero shape better in wider widths. i'd think that tyre shape is more important and variable than width (for a given stated width)

flo's testing seems to confirm that the gp4k gains less drag in the change from 23c to 25c than the schwalbe one or zipp tangente - the other tyres tested in both widths

not unreasonable that a tall and wide tyre will do well on a tall (deep) and wide rim but a lower equally wide tyre won't
Quote Reply