Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Virtual rides on kickr
Quote | Reply
2 part question

1) I'd like to try doing virtual rides using my kickr and MacBook. Just wondering what app people are using to do this

2) this belongs on a Mac site, but anyone know how to get picture from my MacBook up on my smart TV?
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual rides on kickr [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:
2 part question

1) I'd like to try doing virtual rides using my kickr and MacBook. Just wondering what app people are using to do this

2) this belongs on a Mac site, but anyone know how to get picture from my MacBook up on my smart TV?

2: modern MBP has HDMI out, otherwise use a thunderbolt->hdmi or usb->hdmi. Or use apple TV+airplay. But cables are cheaper, so is Microsoft's wireless display adapter.
Last edited by: JSully: Nov 22, 14 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of buying a kickr and trying to figure out about riding "courses" on the kickr.

It looks like there are a few ways to do this including their strava app. So it's not video or anything but any strava segment appears to be able to be fed into the kickr. Does that seem right? Are people doing this or is there another way to manage this?
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual rides on kickr [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW I have the Strava app and Trainerroad, I rarely use Strava. I love the Trainerroad deal along with some of the Sufferfest videos, even without the videos either option makes rides seem shorter to me. I love the Kickr and would highly recommend it!
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual rides on kickr [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like trainer road as well, but I think it would be a nice change of pace to do a virtual ride every once in a while
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know some of the options too. I did the PerfPro trial and found it didn't quite have what I was looking for. Maybe someone who is more savvy with the application can help but I wasn't able to figure out how to ride a course with video at a speed other than the original recording. Either it was a workout in Erg mode so a 60 minute ride would be a 60 minute ride at the wattage profile I originally rode it at or it would be a course with a pacer that would ride exactly the same pace as I originally did and so would the video, but at least I could ride my own pace but it was pretty annoying that the video was from the pacer's perspective which made it useless. I'm better off just watching a video and changing the resistance manually. I was pretty disappointed with PerfPro and there were other annoying things like the ant+ transmission dropping every ride. For my needs, it looks like Kinomap is my next candidate.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual rides on kickr [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you load up a past performance file in PerfPRO Studio, as long as the file contains speed and course information (grade, elevation or lng/lat) you can ride it virtually as one option with that file type.

Once loaded PerfPRO gives you two options:
1. If the file contains wattage information then you can ride it as an FTP% workout. In that case, PerfPRO converts the wattage information to FTP percentages based on your FTP at the time. Then you (and entire class) can ride the same workout at the same intensity. Those can be pretty cool if you get your hands on some PRO perf files from say a crit or some shorter race with lots of surges. Then everyone feels it.

2. If you go with the course/pacer option you can pair up your video with the course. The speed of the video is then based on the pacer. If you go faster than the pacer the video speeds up and slows down when slower than the pacer. It's just up to you how much time you want to spend producing the video ride.

More info on all the modes you can ride PerfPRO in: http://ppst.co/104FIGP

Pairing up videos for virtual mode: http://ppst.co/1aADjdn

As far as the dropouts you're experiencing, there's about a 99% chance it's not PerfPRO and you'll get the same dropouts in other software. There's a large list of things that can cause this, but check on some of these:
- Batteries going dead. Probably solves about 90% of the home use dropouts. Throw some freshies in there and you'll probably be good.
- Line of site. Make sure you're ANT stick is out in the open and in a pretty good line of site with your trainer and other devices. A dockable USB extension cable works wonders with adding flexibility to improving that signal. You can go into Studio's ant options and see what your signal strength is at.
- Limit any Bluetooth chatter from phones and whatever else.
- Your WIFI router may be interfering. If your WIFI channel (in it's control panel) is set to "4" then try changing it to "1" or "6". That helps sometimes.

There's other possibilities like microwave oven use in the area, but not as common. Feel free to ping my support email if you're having any more dropout issues.

Hope that helps,
Drew.
http://perfprostudio.com
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual rides on kickr [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also new to the kickr and looking for an virtual video app. I signed up to trainerroad but also want some variety. I dont have an IPAD, IPHONE, etc so its either Android or windows and I prefer a windows app for virtual riding since I have an HDMI output right from the laptop so it seems easy. 55" TV in front of my kickr, just need to find that good app for windows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try our application.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Kinomaps with the Kickr on an iPad mini with an HDMI output to the big screen. Excellent course replication and has ability to make your own hi def courses. Great for particular course practice and pacing.
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual rides on kickr [jetall3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jetall3 wrote:
2. If you go with the course/pacer option you can pair up your video with the course. The speed of the video is then based on the pacer. If you go faster than the pacer the video speeds up and slows down when slower than the pacer. It's just up to you how much time you want to spend producing the video ride.

As far as the dropouts you're experiencing, there's about a 99% chance it's not PerfPRO and you'll get the same dropouts in other software. There's a large list of things that can cause this, but check on some of these:
- Batteries going dead. Probably solves about 90% of the home use dropouts. Throw some freshies in there and you'll probably be good.
- Line of site. Make sure you're ANT stick is out in the open and in a pretty good line of site with your trainer and other devices. A dockable USB extension cable works wonders with adding flexibility to improving that signal. You can go into Studio's ant options and see what your signal strength is at.
- Limit any Bluetooth chatter from phones and whatever else.
- Your WIFI router may be interfering. If your WIFI channel (in it's control panel) is set to "4" then try changing it to "1" or "6". That helps sometimes.

There's other possibilities like microwave oven use in the area, but not as common. Feel free to ping my support email if you're having any more dropout issues.

Hope that helps,
Drew.
http://perfprostudio.com

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what I wasn't doing correctly but when I tried the course with pacer option, the video never slowed/reset and the pacer and video were pretty far ahead of me. We're talking miles ahead since I was riding my beach cruiser on the trainer as opposed to my road bike in the video/gps data.

The drop outs I was experiencing were with transmitted power via ant+. My Garmin watch was fully charged and my laptop was plugged in and within 3 feet of the watch. I do understand that it's not a software issue directly but it's still something that occurs and something people should consider when looking at this option.

The software looks great but unfortunately my trial is over and riding courses with variable video speed with transmitted power were my main draws to the software and it sounds like even if I did get the video working that skipping forwards and backwards isn't quite what I was looking for.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual rides on kickr [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kostya416 wrote:
Try our application.

Any coupon codes for first timers to try it out. I was thinking of giving Grand Tour Majorca - Part 1 a try. Looks to be a 60K ride, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual rides on kickr [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have 2 free short demo videos. That is enough to try and see if it works for you. If you're looking for deals then there are combo packages I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kostya416 wrote:
We have 2 free short demo videos. That is enough to try and see if it works for you. If you're looking for deals then there are combo packages I think.

I did already. So I use the wahoo kickr and it seemed like the resistance had a mind of its own. I was climbing a hill but the resistance changed from hard to easy for no apparent reason. Didn't seem to be in synch with the video. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most likely you have signal drops. Read following post to get the cure

http://veloreality.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35#p100

Unfortunately sometimes wireless does not work too well. Especially ANT+ where they're more concerened about saving power then quality and transmission rate of the signal. I wish those ANT+ pals also released wired specs for let's say ANT+ over the Ethernet/COM/Whatever. Same goes to BTLE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I buy a video, can I immediately download it or is there shipping or other delays involved?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
If I buy a video, can I immediately download it or is there shipping or other delays involved?

You can download it immediately. Try it with free demo videos. Getting them is the same as buying with the price
set to $0.00 is the difference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased the Grand Tour Majorca - Part 1. It seems like it comes in two files, a 1.5GB and a 6.9GB file. Is that because it couldnt fit as one file? which one to run first? Also noticed a download counter set to 100, how does that work? I believe that once I purchase the video I can use it as long as I want. Is it simply that if I change computers, etc, I can download it a maximum of 100 times? Thanks for your responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
I just purchased the Grand Tour Majorca - Part 1. It seems like it comes in two files, a 1.5GB and a 6.9GB file. Is that because it couldnt fit as one file? which one to run first? Also noticed a download counter set to 100, how does that work? I believe that once I purchase the video I can use it as long as I want. Is it simply that if I change computers, etc, I can download it a maximum of 100 times? Thanks for your responses.

Smaller file is 720p version, bigger one is 1080p. you want the bigger one. When you download video it requires registration. At this point it is bound to a hartd drive. You are allowed 2 registrations on 2 different harddrives. If you need more for whatever reason you have to contact us using email or contact form
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it, thanks. will be trying it soon, downloading now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Got it, thanks. will be trying it soon, downloading now.

Did you actually fix that signal drop problem you seem to have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the link but I also use trainerroad and have no issues. Well try again and see what happens. My laptop is close to the kickr and I have the latest ant usb stick that came with the vivofit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
I read the link but I also use trainerroad and have no issues. Well try again and see what happens. My laptop is close to the kickr and I have the latest ant usb stick that came with the vivofit.
I just had customer 2 days ago who had the same problem and it was fixed when he's got USB extension cable and placed the stick very close to KICKR. I surprised you're buying video before making sure first that everything is nice and dandy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No native Mac version? Don't tell me to use dual boot or parallel.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next