Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bricklayer wrote:
Marco in BC wrote:
ZackC. wrote:
If I only had one I would set it up facing backward. That's where the cars come from. Even the wide angle of a GoPro probably wouldn't see the car that runs a redlight/stop sign and t-bones you. A few of the bike-car collision videos that have been published would only have been seen with a forward-facing camera (i.e the ford expedition that passes a guy during a race only to make an immediate right turn), but those seem to be a much more rare type of accident. I would say that the majority of collisions on the road are caused by cars overtaking cyclists without enough clearance, so I would put the camera on the back.

would be nice for bike base bars and seatposts to have cameras as an option (with the software set to keep recording forever and just keep the last X amount of minutes, instead of stopping when the card is full) as well as have a front wheel dynamo of some sort for power + of course a 5-min capacitive backup for when you stop (so you never have to take them out or deal with batteries lasting only 2 hours when you're out riding for 4), I doubt you'd need a lot of power from the dynamo to run two cameras so it should have minimal impact on your speed, and anyways this would be something you'd have on a training/commuting bike anyways, not on your race bike...

somebody should kickstart this, with all the bike+car accidents there ought to be a market for it (not to mention it'd also cover things like people "buzzing" you by intentionally passing too close, or throwing stuff at you etc.)

Here's the setup I have on my bike.

I assume this if for recoding backwards only, no link to a front display?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marco in BC wrote:
ZackC. wrote:
If I only had one I would set it up facing backward. That's where the cars come from. Even the wide angle of a GoPro probably wouldn't see the car that runs a redlight/stop sign and t-bones you. A few of the bike-car collision videos that have been published would only have been seen with a forward-facing camera (i.e the ford expedition that passes a guy during a race only to make an immediate right turn), but those seem to be a much more rare type of accident. I would say that the majority of collisions on the road are caused by cars overtaking cyclists without enough clearance, so I would put the camera on the back.

would be nice for bike base bars and seatposts to have cameras as an option (with the software set to keep recording forever and just keep the last X amount of minutes, instead of stopping when the card is full) as well as have a front wheel dynamo of some sort for power + of course a 5-min capacitive backup for when you stop (so you never have to take them out or deal with batteries lasting only 2 hours when you're out riding for 4), I doubt you'd need a lot of power from the dynamo to run two cameras so it should have minimal impact on your speed, and anyways this would be something you'd have on a training/commuting bike anyways, not on your race bike...

somebody should kickstart this, with all the bike+car accidents there ought to be a market for it (not to mention it'd also cover things like people "buzzing" you by intentionally passing too close, or throwing stuff at you etc.)

Is this something like what you were looking for?
http://cerevellum.com/hindsight.aspx
- rear facing camera with a loop (also a screen to allow use instead of a mirror).
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
That is for an urban environment. I was thinking more about my experience riding in rural areas on the open road. Per that list though it definitely looks like anyone who frequently rides in urban areas would want to put a camera on the front...

Well, yeah, when by definition there aren't (m)any cross roads ("on the open road"), there aren't many other ways to get hit.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
This is why I cannot wait to purchase ahttp://cerevellum.com/[/quote[/url]]

"The name Cerevellum comes from a combination of "cerebellum” (meaning a region of the brain that plays an important role in motor control) and "velo” (In Flemish means "bicycle”)."

I guess Cervelo was already taken eh?

John
"A profoundly peaceful run; a gift to myself" Frazz
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [TriVelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriVelo wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
This is why I cannot wait to purchase ahttp://cerevellum.com/[/quote[/url]]

"The name Cerevellum comes from a combination of "cerebellum” (meaning a region of the brain that plays an important role in motor control) and "velo” (In Flemish means "bicycle”)."

I guess Cervelo was already taken eh?

Would be neat to have a camera in the front and back and have the display saw either camera or a PIP split screen.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
bricklayer wrote:

Correct. I have the handlebar mount sold as an aftermarket product from GoPro, but I rarely use it on the road. Usually for mountain biking or I'll use the handlebar mount on a broomstick to get video of my swim stroke under water. I figure if I'm going to get hit, the chance it higher it will be from behind and the camera will capture the vehicle and hopefully the drivers face. In a forward facing camera, who knows which way the camera will be facing after the chaos of being struck by a vehicle. I suppose I could purchase another camera, but I'd rather save my money or use it on other things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bricklayer wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
bricklayer wrote:

Correct. I have the handlebar mount sold as an aftermarket product from GoPro, but I rarely use it on the road. Usually for mountain biking or I'll use the handlebar mount on a broomstick to get video of my swim stroke under water. I figure if I'm going to get hit, the chance it higher it will be from behind and the camera will capture the vehicle and hopefully the drivers face. In a forward facing camera, who knows which way the camera will be facing after the chaos of being struck by a vehicle. I suppose I could purchase another camera, but I'd rather save my money or use it on other things.

I do not see any video output port on these for live watching. Looks like you can only transfer the file via USB after you are done.

Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello klehner and All,

Not so sure about that data from John Forester .............. I think ZackC. has it right ...................

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/25000/25400/25439/DOT-HS-803-315.pdf

I note that John Forester used only urban data (and excluded rural data which is where we usually ride) from the Cross Study for his book but he must have ‘adjusted’ the data in some other ways to get results quite different from the published Cross Study which shows motorist overtaking cyclist as the largest class of causes for fatal accidents ……….. partly because of the larger speed differential between motorist and bicycle than in intersection crashes.

Regardless of how John parsed his data …… in fairness to John it should be noted that as a probability ………… because of the number of cyclists and number of miles ridden your chances are very good that you will not killed by being hit by a car from behind …………. but if you are killed by a car …… there is a good chance the police report will state …… ‘struck from behind by motorist who did not see the cyclist ......
Motorist released on own recognizance ……’

Excerpts from the 1977 Cross bicycle study:

Page 229 - 231
Class D includes five problem types that occurred when (a) a vehicle overtook and collided with a bicyclist traveling in the same direction, or (b) the threat of an overtaking motor vehicle caused the bicyclist to collide with an object that obstructed the path he would have taken if the obstruction had not been present. Class D does not include cases in which the bicyclist turned or swerved into the path of an overtaking motor vehicle.

Table 36 lists the problem types and subtypes for Class D and shows the proportion of fatal and non-fatal cases that were classified into each problem type and subtype. It can be seen in Table 36 that Class D accounted for nearly 38% of all fatal cases and that nearly one-fourth of all fatal accidents were classified into Problem Type 13 [motorist overtaking – cyclist not seen].

Since Class D accounted for only 10.5% of the non-fatal cases, it is clear that the likelihood of suffering 'fatal injuries is far higher for Class D accidents than for any other accident class. The high incidence of fatal injuries is mainly the result of the high speed of the motor vehicle on impact. About 45% of both the fatal and non-fatal accidents in Class D occurred in a rural area. It also was found that 56% of all rural accidents in the fatal sample and 31% of the rural accidents in the non-fatal sample were classified into Class D.

Few young bicyclists are involved in Type 13 accidents [motorist overtaking – cyclist not seen]. For example, it was found that the age of the 5th centile bicyclist in the fatal and non-fatal samples was 12.9 and 11.2 years, respectively. Apparently, bicyclists younger than 11 or 12 years of age are not permitted to ride during darkness and in the types of areas where Type 13 accidents occur. The median age was 18.3 years for the bicyclists in the non-fatal sample and 20.5 years for bicyclists in the fatal sample.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of (layman) comments ….. for triathletes the percentages of Class D fatal accidents would be higher because than figure of 38% because we are older – and a good share of the 100% total of the accidents in this study involved children and we are not in that group – also we ride in rural areas where about 45% of the fatal accidents occurred (and 56% fatalities were with the motorist overtaking the cyclist (Class D) – then we should subtract out some percentage of accidents because we do not ride at night a great deal ….. also keep in mind that this study was completed in 1977 and conditions have changed somewhat.

A bit more current data for fatalities:

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pubs/811156.pdf

Pedalcyclist fatalities occurred more frequently in urban areas (69%), at non-intersection locations (64%), between the hours of 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. (28%), and during the months of June (9%) and September (12%).

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811386.pdf

most pedalcyclist fatalities in 2009 occurred at non-intersections.

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster

Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [slindell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slindell wrote:
- rear facing camera with a loop (also a screen to allow use instead of a mirror).

5 minutes seems way too short, VGA resolution is likely way too low to catch any license plates, and it still has a rechargeable battery instead of a dynamo solution so no, not what I was talking about: rather than this a gopro would be a lot better (since with a large SD card you can record as long as the battery last anyways), but I still think somebody should come up with something like I described...
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha I guess that is a bit of a tautology...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was an arrest made in the Berkeley hit-and-run case:

http://www.ktvu.com/...t-caught-vide/nMkPH/

Some weird things surrounding this case:
  • The owner reported the car stolen the day of the hit-and-run (not sure if before or after the incident).
  • The owner was staying at a hotel for some reason.
  • Apparently the guy was on probation, had heroin, and ammunition (a violation of the probation).

Seems like the guy might have been jacked up on heroin when he drifted into the cyclist(s).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
bricklayer wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
bricklayer wrote:

I do not see any video output port on these for live watching. Looks like you can only transfer the file via USB after you are done.

No there isn't a live feed available. Why would anyone care to see live video of me riding? Yes those cameras exist...but not on my budget.
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marco in BC wrote:
slindell wrote:

5 minutes seems way too short, VGA resolution is likely way too low to catch any license plates, and it still has a rechargeable battery instead of a dynamo solution so no, not what I was talking about: rather than this a gopro would be a lot better (since with a large SD card you can record as long as the battery last anyways), but I still think somebody should come up with something like I described...

Not to mention that a lot of states have no front license plate requirement so you could be looking at just trying to ID a make/model, and maybe the driver's face, if you use a rear-facing camera.

This incident (and what seems like more frequent ones recently) has prompted me to use my Contour on road rides, not just mountain biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bricklayer wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
bricklayer wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
bricklayer wrote:

No there isn't a live feed available. Why would anyone care to see live video of me riding? Yes those cameras exist...but not on my budget.

I don't know, it could be kinda cool. Imagine friends or family that can see what's going on during a race instead of only the few seconds they see when you run or ride by? Or laughing with friends over stuff that happens during a ride or race. I have an older model ContourHD cam that I like, but I recently saw this. http://looxcie.com/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by h2ofun [ In reply to ]

Prev Next