Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
This is why I cannot wait to purchase a http://cerevellum.com/

What an awful, awful invention.
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [KingJulian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What an awful, awful invention.[/quote]
I'm curious why you think so. When it was announced around last Interbike, the only real complaint was the anti-mirror contingency, who thought drafters could use it to spot marshal's in a tri. Otherwise, the occasional glance down when a car is approaching to see that it's not crossing the line, plus the 10 mins of recording in case of a crash sounds like pretty decent features.
But I often miss other obvious things

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree,

Plus the scumbag reported his car as stolen on the same day, while the cops found the car at the same location than he was... It's not even that he "didn't see" the cyclists, he hit them and purposefully ran away, and tried to get away with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [KingJulian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingJulian wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
This is why I cannot wait to purchase a http://cerevellum.com/

What an awful, awful invention.

Why is it awful?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap, this just made CBS national news and the drudgereport...

Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yes, the headline just two lines below is classic.
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention the headline two lines above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The two riders were Brazilians ... they were speaking portuguese after the crash

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
Bmanners wrote:
Wow and nobody stopped either. Did they go to police with it? They should be able to get LP number.

I recently moved to Berkeley, and one of the things that struck me was that people don't like cyclists as much as anywhere else. I've also noticed an absurd amount of drivers talking on their cell phones & texting even though the law prohibits it. Not sure if that lead to this particular collision, however I will certainly be more aware next time I head up Tunnel.

Not surprising at all given the demographics of Berkley.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:
Looks to me like the plate was fuzzed out by the editor....

And, the frame after this one is why you wear a helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive ridden on that road once, will never do it again. Its the last stretch of through city Highway before you hit the real highway. People drive through there pissed as hell from all the city traffic. Berkeley streets are such a mess to deal with.

Later down the road the bike lane veers into the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. I thought thats where the collision would have happened, but this looked aggravated or negligent.
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Michael Medaglia is the guy they arrested.....what a winner. https://www.facebook.com/...glia/100000749158375

His FB post from 4/17 talks about riding a motorcycle while drunk. Not surprising he's an ex-con.
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [Azr43l] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Azr43l wrote:

Michael Medaglia is the guy they arrested.....what a winner. https://www.facebook.com/...glia/100000749158375

His FB post from 4/17 talks about riding a motorcycle while drunk. Not surprising he's an ex-con.

Plus, the A-hole posted a eulogy to his step son who was HIT ON HIS MOTORCYCLE.....oh,the irony!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [jwade13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [asclepius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When police entered Medaglia's hotel room, they arrested him on charges of possession of a heroin, felony possession of ammunition, violation of probation and a felony hit-and-run.

Well, now we know why he didn't stop...
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [Acquaspin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I only had one I would set it up facing backward. That's where the cars come from. Even the wide angle of a GoPro probably wouldn't see the car that runs a redlight/stop sign and t-bones you. A few of the bike-car collision videos that have been published would only have been seen with a forward-facing camera (i.e the ford expedition that passes a guy during a race only to make an immediate right turn), but those seem to be a much more rare type of accident. I would say that the majority of collisions on the road are caused by cars overtaking cyclists without enough clearance, so I would put the camera on the back.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [G$] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a winner
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [Azr43l] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Azr43l wrote:

Considering that his Facebook page is open to the public, I bet it took the police a few minutes to track him down.
It looks like his cell phone auto checks in. Most visited place, the “Jack London Inn” right where the police found him.
Last edited by: heliix: Apr 30, 12 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [heliix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering that he reported his car being stolen that day, I wonder if the D-Bag is going to claim that it wasn't him driving. Regardless, he's heading back to his second home (prison) for awhile.

Why don't we take a 5 minute brake...?
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [heliix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heliix wrote:
Considering that his Facebook page is open to the public, I bet it took the police a few minutes to track him down.
It looks like his cell phone auto checks in. Most visited place, the “Jack London Inn” right where the police found him.

It's amazing how much information people offer up using Facebook.
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
If I only had one I would set it up facing backward. That's where the cars come from. Even the wide angle of a GoPro probably wouldn't see the car that runs a redlight/stop sign and t-bones you. A few of the bike-car collision videos that have been published would only have been seen with a forward-facing camera (i.e the ford expedition that passes a guy during a race only to make an immediate right turn), but those seem to be a much more rare type of accident. I would say that the majority of collisions on the road are caused by cars overtaking cyclists without enough clearance, so I would put the camera on the back.

would be nice for bike base bars and seatposts to have cameras as an option (with the software set to keep recording forever and just keep the last X amount of minutes, instead of stopping when the card is full) as well as have a front wheel dynamo of some sort for power + of course a 5-min capacitive backup for when you stop (so you never have to take them out or deal with batteries lasting only 2 hours when you're out riding for 4), I doubt you'd need a lot of power from the dynamo to run two cameras so it should have minimal impact on your speed, and anyways this would be something you'd have on a training/commuting bike anyways, not on your race bike...

somebody should kickstart this, with all the bike+car accidents there ought to be a market for it (not to mention it'd also cover things like people "buzzing" you by intentionally passing too close, or throwing stuff at you etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
I would say that the majority of collisions on the road are caused by cars overtaking cyclists without enough clearance, so I would put the camera on the back.

While this data from Effective Cycling is rather out-dated, that turns out not to be the case:

http://www.johnforester.com/BTEO/ECIM6.pdf

On page 7 or so, there's a table that lists the types of bike accidents by frequency, and being overtake is way down on the list (two types adding up to less than 4% of the total).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [kbmcdowell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The facebook page is priceless. He posts that he "hates liars fakes and assholes." 2 posts earlier he has a "watch out for bikers" pic and implies that his stepson died in a motorcycle accident.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is for an urban environment. I was thinking more about my experience riding in rural areas on the open road. Per that list though it definitely looks like anyone who frequently rides in urban areas would want to put a camera on the front...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Video of hit-and-run in Berkeley [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marco in BC wrote:
ZackC. wrote:

would be nice for bike base bars and seatposts to have cameras as an option (with the software set to keep recording forever and just keep the last X amount of minutes, instead of stopping when the card is full) as well as have a front wheel dynamo of some sort for power + of course a 5-min capacitive backup for when you stop (so you never have to take them out or deal with batteries lasting only 2 hours when you're out riding for 4), I doubt you'd need a lot of power from the dynamo to run two cameras so it should have minimal impact on your speed, and anyways this would be something you'd have on a training/commuting bike anyways, not on your race bike...

somebody should kickstart this, with all the bike+car accidents there ought to be a market for it (not to mention it'd also cover things like people "buzzing" you by intentionally passing too close, or throwing stuff at you etc.)

Here's the setup I have on my bike.

Quote Reply

Prev Next