Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming
Quote | Reply
A short video from Brett Sutton.

Learn 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming from the guy who coached 8 swimmers on to the Australian Olympic swim team, and 24 swimmers on to the Australian national swim team; not to mention his 30+ triathlon World Champions and Olympic gold medalist.

Click here to watch
Last edited by: robbie: Aug 1, 14 6:28
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [robbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice link. His tips makes sense to me.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [robbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never could catch what the third "R" is; it is clearly related to distance per stroke (dps) and turnover rate (spm), but I couldn't understand whatever word it is he's saying, as he seems to have a bit of an Aussie accent:) I did easily hear that the first 2 "Rs" are rhythm and relaxation.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Range
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rhythm
Relaxation
Range - DPS
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [Writerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Writerguy wrote:
Range

Ah, range, I see, that makes sense in terms of dps. Thanks!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Rhythm
Relaxation
Range - DPS

Range/DPS...ah, great, thanks!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone dumb it down for me? Why Range means DPS(I'm assuming DPS here means distance per stroke)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guy is completely off his rocker, but I have to admit he did make me laugh. I'll have to start listening to 'staying alive' by the BeeGee's before my swim sessions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Brett in the video: "DPS KILLS EVERY Ag SWIMMER ALIVE!! (around 3:03)

Brett is obviously a kooky personality, but as an MOPer AGer trying to improve, I gotta agree with that - he goes through why right after in that rant.

Also love the "ahhh my arms are falling off!! waaaaah' rant antics at 5:00 making fun of how wussy AGers are about avoiding hard training and higher cadence LOL
Last edited by: lightheir: Aug 2, 14 4:59
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
The guy is completely off his rocker, but I have to admit he did make me laugh. I'll have to start listening to 'staying alive' by the BeeGee's before my swim sessions.

Why?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Barlow wrote:

Why?

You clearly don't have your American Red Cross Adult CPR certification.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope.

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Barlow wrote:

Why?

You clearly don't have your American Red Cross Adult CPR certification.

"Optimal" chest compression rate = 100 compressions per minute
"Staying Alive" is taught as a way to keep that cadence...it's not in the manual or official.

"Another Bites the Dust" also works...but it is highly HIGHLY recommended NOT to sing that one out loud.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett rarely give bad advice when it s related to triathlon. i never seen a coach change so many non swimmer into decent close to front pack individual. he as a gift to build strokes for everyone. The message is always deliver in a very entertaining and color full way but if you can read pass that.... it s wise to listen and apply lots of his advise.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
Brett rarely give bad advice when it s related to triathlon. i never seen a coach change so many non swimmer into decent close to front pack individual. he as a gift to build strokes for everyone. The message is always deliver in a very entertaining and color full way but if you can read pass that.... it s wise to listen and apply lots of his advise.

I agree. What it was saying makes sense. His results speak for themselves. And I thought he was very entertaining with his delivery.

I loved he told folks that advice he gave for one person was only for that person.

Love your posts on triathlon advice also.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must be a heavy training day or Slowtwitch has grown up. Thread hasn't devolved yet.
Good advice. Thanks for videos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great video

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [fascinating] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fascinating wrote:
Can someone dumb it down for me? Why Range means DPS(I'm assuming DPS here means distance per stroke)?

My interpretation of his meaning of range is the ability to keep pulling as long as possible rather than stretching out to create artificial length and disturbing your rythym and relaxation. (hope that's not too confusing)

BTW how many people make sure there isn't any tension in their biceps on recovery phase?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite being good info and an awesome insight into Sutto world I couldn't help but think of this movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3tG5t9cN0

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
, but I couldn't understand whatever word it is he's saying, as he seems to have a bit of an Aussie accent:) I did easily hear that the first 2 "Rs" are rhythm and relaxation.

What is his first language?
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
, but I couldn't understand whatever word it is he's saying, as he seems to have a bit of an Aussie accent:) I did easily hear that the first 2 "Rs" are rhythm and relaxation.

What is his first language?

I think English is his first language but he has a rather thick Aussie accent, or at least that was my impression in that video:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THIS is why I got into teaching! Sutton validates the approach of sound core principals plus honouring individual differences to maximize individual performance.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Video - 3 tips to improve your triathlon swimming [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
it s wise to listen and apply lots of his advise.

What he says makes sense, as someone who is a crappy swimmer. I try to keep up with good technique but it's unsustainable. However, if someone is a "better" swimmer by not reaching so far forward each stroke, is that person doomed to always be a relatively crappy swimmer or do you slowly try to bring that back? Is that a known strategy?
Quote Reply

Prev Next