Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob
Quote | Reply
I got sucked into youtube this afternoon and stumbled upon this video from Kona 2015. This guy is hilarious! Thought I'd share if you haven't seen it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
I got sucked into youtube this afternoon and stumbled upon this video from Kona 2015. This guy is hilarious! Thought I'd share if you haven't seen it.

Thanks. I also just watched his interview with Bib, posted 18th Jan 2018 - it's really good, what a great guy! Like you say, hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62VePgCZB34

After this, I really hope he does well.
Last edited by: bluefever: Feb 8, 18 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
domingjm wrote:

Thanks. I also just watched his interview with Bib, posted 18th Jan 2018 - it's really good, what a great guy! Like you say, hilarious.

Dear god, this man dislikes Jan Frodeno... or at minimum despises the way he acts towards other athletes while racing. Not only has he called him out multiple times in public settings but I'm now seeing him comment on Jan's social media posts with hilarious, albeit sarcastic, responses.

I don't care if he never wins Kona, he's my favorite pro by a long shot right now. I miss the Macca shit talk.
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

Dear god, this man dislikes Jan Frodeno... or at minimum despises the way he acts towards other athletes while racing.

Certainly does!! But mulling over it, I think he does have a point. He's brash, but also humble with it - he calls it as he sees it, which includes criticising himself, and it's refreshing to hear.

If his swim is normal this year (front pack), bike similar, and he can repeat the 3:00 runs he's done, we could be in for a hell of a race again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

Dear god, this man dislikes Jan Frodeno... or at minimum despises the way he acts towards other athletes while racing.

Certainly does!! But mulling over it, I think he does have a point. He's brash, but also humble with it - he calls it as he sees it, which includes criticising himself, and it's refreshing to hear.

If his swim is normal this year (front pack), bike similar, and he can repeat the 3:00 runs he's done, we could be in for a hell of a race again.

I'm so over speculating.. I would have bet $1 million that Lange wouldn't have won this year because of Wurf/Kienle/Sanders bike skills but look how that turned out.

I just want shit talk. It makes it so much more fun. Honestly, the pro panels the days before the race are so incredibly annoying/boring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% Agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Factor in the return of Mr Andrew Starykowicz, and we are going to have a great event.
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit talk is good, doesn't do Boxing any harm as a Sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

if
if
if
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The boys asked me about nutrition on the run, and I said, 'I don't know, don't they have aid stations out there.'"
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:

Harm?! Jesus... the more shit talk, the more views in boxing. If you take an absolute horrible match up (which most are now a days) and stir up some shit talk during press and in training camp, people WILL tune in even when they know its a shit fight.

I've only been in the sport for 7 or 8 years but I was always a lover of Macca because he made it exciting! Pro triathletes should learn a thing or two from him. I assume they don't talk shit because brands (i.e. sponsors) are all stupid conservative and run away from controversy because they think it messes with Sales... but no offense, talk some shit, back it up (even a little) and you'll retain sponsors. Might even get more money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

Dear god, this man dislikes Jan Frodeno... or at minimum despises the way he acts towards other athletes while racing. Not only has he called him out multiple times in public settings but I'm now seeing him comment on Jan's social media posts with hilarious, albeit sarcastic, responses.

I don't care if he never wins Kona, he's my favorite pro by a long shot right now. I miss the Macca shit talk.

I've watched a few of his interviews and he is hilarious!! I agree that he'll be on my short list that I'll be rooting for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Harm?! Jesus... the more shit talk, the more views in boxing. If you take an absolute horrible match up (which most are now a days) and stir up some shit talk during press and in training camp, people WILL tune in even when they know its a shit fight.

I've only been in the sport for 7 or 8 years but I was always a lover of Macca because he made it exciting! Pro triathletes should learn a thing or two from him. I assume they don't talk shit because brands (i.e. sponsors) are all stupid conservative and run away from controversy because they think it messes with Sales... but no offense, talk some shit, back it up (even a little) and you'll retain sponsors. Might even get more money.

Exactly! Floyd Mayweather and Connor McGregor have made an absolute fortune out of this.
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like how hard he approaches races and I like the way he talkes. And his background in olympic level rowing and pro Tour riding and the Fach that he learned to swim quickly show his great sporting talent.

But I would like him even more, if he wasn't training with Froome and Sun Yang and if his sporting idol wouldn't be Lance Armstrong anymore.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. I’ve asked on social media and his interview article on ST about his training partners, but haven’t seen a response. I’ve read his comments defending “Froomey” and others multiple times and it’s really sickening. Give me a break. why aren’t the journalist asking this guy tougher questions and holding him accountable?

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wayne@PolarUSA wrote:
Factor in the return of Mr Andrew Starykowicz, and we are going to have a great event.

Except Starky can't run in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Although I agree the sport needs some controversy, or something to stir shit up, I don't think anyone should learn a thing from Macca. The guy is a complete ass. For someone that won 2 world champs, he didn't have much support from sponsors. He literally only kept 2 or 3 for the majority of his career. His shit talking was entertaining but I think it actually harmed him in many ways. You can talk shit without being an ass. My guess is he talked shit because he had/has a high need for approval or felt he needed to tell people how good he was. So if I was a pro I wouldn't take notes from him, certainly not from his behavior, especially in Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wayne@PolarUSA wrote:

By "great event" do you mean competitive speed walk on way to mid 30s finish?
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By "great event" do you mean competitive speed walk on way to mid 30s finish? //

What's with all the haters here? If you cannot appreciate that a guy like Starky will most likely be in the lead/lead group for the first 5 hours of Kona, setting pace, taking pace, and making others move around him or keep up with, then you are really not fans of the sport. Will he be competitive in the run with the runners, uh no. But that is not his race, he is not there to win. My guess is he will be shooting for a top 10 podium/money spot, which is achievable if he were to put in one of his lowish 3 hour runs he has done in past ironmans.

It is quite possible that there will be a new lead group, ahead of the usual lead group for the first time ever. I can see if all things align that 4 to 6 guys could still be together at mile 80, with the meat of the male pros still in tact many minutes back. Starky would help make that group possible, influence its pace, and perhaps even help the eventual winner stay ahead of the fast closing 2;40 flat guys that are now showing up at every race...
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
By "great event" do you mean competitive speed walk on way to mid 30s finish? //

What's with all the haters here? If you cannot appreciate that a guy like Starky will most likely be in the lead/lead group for the first 5 hours of Kona, setting pace, taking pace, and making others move around him or keep up with, then you are really not fans of the sport. Will he be competitive in the run with the runners, uh no. But that is not his race, he is not there to win. My guess is he will be shooting for a top 10 podium/money spot, which is achievable if he were to put in one of his lowish 3 hour runs he has done in past ironmans.

It is quite possible that there will be a new lead group, ahead of the usual lead group for the first time ever. I can see if all things align that 4 to 6 guys could still be together at mile 80, with the meat of the male pros still in tact many minutes back. Starky would help make that group possible, influence its pace, and perhaps even help the eventual winner stay ahead of the fast closing 2;40 flat guys that are now showing up at every race...

Well, the good news is that there is data that might serve as a guide to how Starky's race might play out. 2014 IMWC he sat up on the road back from Hawi and DNFd on the run. 2013 IMWC he ran/walked 3:25 to 21st OA. While not Kona, at 2015 Roth he ran 4:34 to 26th OA. He does well at regional IMs racing against B squad pros and even then his run pace is pretty recreational. To my knowledge his best run split was at 2013 IMFL in 2:58. This past year at IMWI he ran 3:11 and IMKY he ran 3:09. Both of those courses are easy peasy in easy peasy conditions compared to Kona. Less DNFs his average IM run split is 3:24.

His comeback after getting mowed down by a truck is pretty inspirational. That said, he gets WAY more attention than he deserves as an athlete. TJ Tollakson regularly kicks his ass and yet he has no fanboi club debating about how great the race will be with him in it. Luckily we do not live in North Korea and pointing this does not take away from my "love of the sport."
Last edited by: 1poseur1: Feb 10, 18 13:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
domingjm wrote:

Not sure what to think of him. Definitely an incredible athlete, perhaps one of the greatest of our day. Still, he has a case of oral diarrhea. Not sure what was behind the shot against Cadel Evans. Also, it is highly unlikely that he will ever run 2:40 in kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great interview with Cam! Absolutely talented athlete that is completely serious about his ambition to win Kona. Calls them as he sees them and not afraid to speak his mind. Great addition to the triathlon world. Look forward to seeing him race in 2018!
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ Tollakson regularly kicks his ass and yet he has no fanboi club debating about how great the race will be with him in it.//

Because he would never get to the front of Kona and not really be a factor at the pointy end. Starky on the other hand will be, pretty much guaranteed. Listen I'm not making any predictions on how he will do in the race overall, that would be a fools errand. But I will predict that he gets to the front of the race, probably very early with his swim, and he will be a factor in how the race plays out. Whatever his flaws, they are not that he doesn't go for it and want to be part of that group up front going for it. In the races he has done well in on a smaller scale this is how he races, going sub 8 once I believe.

His race really is not that much different from Wurf's, he basically did a Starky style race except for the slower swim. But for some reason he gets cut a lot more slack, not sure why though?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3h run will def not be enough to be a real factor though. That would land him at 8:10 and maybe a bronze, but I'm guessing not even that. Now if he could run 2:50 off the bike, interesting things would happen as the runners would have to work hard on the bike not to let him go too far.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Cameron Wurf on Breakfast with Bob [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched several of his interviews last night. I like how direct he is. He has confidence and thinks he can win.....pretty sure nobody ever won without thinking they could.
Quote Reply

Prev Next