Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ventum One test ride
Quote | Reply
My bike history is along these lines:

2009 - 2010: get into triathlon, buy Planet X frameset off ST (it was too small)
2011-2012: Cervelo P3
2013-2015: Cervelo P5
2016-2017 Cervelo P3 (also a "classic" P3)

I definitely have exhibited a strong bias towards Canadian triathlon bikes. When I worked at the Cervelo dealer back in NC, it was an obvious choice and I consumed as much of the kool-aid as I could. (FWIW, I don't use "kool aid" negatively, kool aid is a delicious beverage). A post of Damon's here on ST that has stuck with me for some time was about the design of the P5 and how Cervelo had tried unconventional designs (testing against an "optimized" Zipp 2001 I think?) to best the P5 but had been remarkably unsuccessful. In fact, the more you like at and aggregate most wind tunnel data from various wheel, bike, and equipment tests the more a "traditional" tri bike tends to always come out on top. Dimond's data, at best, promotes skepticism. As the other main "unconventional" bike out there that is popular that is obviously the main comparison point to something like a Ventum.

I remember also a huge thread about the "white paper" Ventum provided when they tested at Faster 1-1.5 years ago and there was also skepticism around that data. The more I read and hear about other tests that have not been publicized the more I think the Ventum might actually be pretty damn fast. I still definitely bias towards "conventional" design from an aesthetics standpoint (I still think the P5 in black red and current paint, not the red/white, is a phenomenal looking bike) and is tough to beat aerodynamically BUT the Ventum has definitely left me more intrigued than any other "small" or "boutique" manufacturer to this point.

The sales manager for Ventum was in Tucson today and was kind enough to come by our house so we (my girlfriend and I) could test ride a couple of Ventums. That is a big point for them as far as customer service goes, and we aren't even customers... The roads around our house are pretty crappy save a couple, so the riding was done on our neighborhood circle (maybe a 1/4mi loop), a crappy neighborhood road (lots of gravel washed onto road, rough pavement), and a smoothly paved road (down at the bottom of aforementioned road).

I have to say that I was legitimately impressed with how the bike rode. I'm not a Bicycling magazine author, so I'm not going to go too much into the "feel" of the bike as I think that's mostly crap designed to say things about bikes when you have to fill a 1200 word column. But, I will let myself say that it rode really, really smooth.

I remember when I switched from the "classic" P3 to the P5 I was blown away at the compliance change between those two bikes. My first ride on the P5 was actually a half ironman in White Lake, NC which is generally known for being flat but having pretty frustrating pavement. The P5 rode incredibly well compared to the P3 I had been riding (and I had raced on that course on both bikes). If I remember correctly, the wheels were the same and my tire choice was the same, along with my saddle being the same, so the only real difference was the frameset.

The Ventum feels like that. Incredibly smooth. Most of my "test riding" (I actually hate test riding in general, as confirmation bias is too strong) involved hard accelerations out of turns, braking into turns, etc as that was more how I feel like a tri bikes rides differently than a road bike. All tri bikes go pretty fast in a straight line, the difference is how they ride in between those straight lines. The Ventum SEEMS to ride more akin to a road bike. Most of its weight is nestled just forward of the bottom bracket. A Dimond, for example, has most of its weight out in that head tube area. So an already forward biased bike (like any tri bike) becomes WAY more forward biased. Perhaps due to that, the Ventum felt more "grounded" so to speak. A bit more predictable than most tri bikes I can remember riding (certainly more predictable than my classic P3, which has a super short stem).

The finish quality is extremely good, much better than what I'd expect out of a "small" brand.

(note, this isn't the actual one I test rode, this was the lady's ride)

Two things of note in this picture:

1) The stem junction definitely looks awkward. Even more so with the spacers in there. That's obviously not necessary as the desired armpad stack can be achieved in other ways but yea, the gap between the stem and water bottle is just that, awkward. I'd definitely try to DIY something that fills that in visually. Ideally though, Ventum come up with a clever way to disguise that.

2) Amount of the bike behind the wheel's axle. Dan writes a lot about this, but it definitely seems like something that makes the bike handle quite a bit more predictably. I'm unsure of what the rake angle of the bike is, so I can't comment on that beyond the subjective "it rides real good."

Again, slightly mitigated by the disappearance of those stem spacers but, yuck.

That's a GP4k 700x23 on relatively wide rims, so obviously there's a fair amount of clearance built into the fork/brake. This is a demo bike, so the dirtiness of the bike is not its fault...
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Apr 10, 17 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I hit the limit on attachments, so here's some more. Not a huge fan of the bolt setup here on an otherwise very clean front end. BUT, the flipside is that I guess it'd be easier to live with.

Horizontal dropouts, which are a deal breaker for some (still not sure why), but at least the hanger is replaceable. Obviously a very beefy area of this bike. Pretty huge that you can use it in a stationary trainer. Compared to, say, some other small brand boutique "unconventional" bike designs...

Direct mount rear brake is obviously practically a must on an under-BB mounted brake design. This is a Vittoria Open Corsa 700x25, so obviously pretty tight but could probably run a Conti 25 I guess. Routing/working on the bike seems relatively easy as well with a large BB area hole for the cable to pass through.

So what's the point of my posting, you may ask? Good question. I like bikes. I am totally biased AGAINST a bike like this, but the damn thing is pretty nice. I like that they are (at least currently) adamantly against disc brakes. Dimond gets a LOT of love on this forum, and yet in all likelihood it's actually pretty slow (relative to its price comps). So yea, Ventum is no "underdog" but I suppose I am rooting for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
How would you compare the ride quality to Speed Concept if you have ridden one. Will there be a Ventum One in your future?

Someone recently - in reference to Ventum - said "what's not to like?"

well, the price tag. haha

I've ridden a few SC's around parking lots and that bike always felt very similar to the P5. I do think the SC is a fantastic bike, I just never worked at a place that sold them. The brakes on the P5 (and definitely the rear on the Ventum) are a LOT better than the SC's from a power, modulation, and workability standpoint. The SC's cockpit was a lot more comfortable and adjustable than the P5s, but that involved an ass load of bolts. I haven't taken apart a Ventum so am unsure, but it looks more straightforward (very similar to Enve front end but without tilt adjustment).

If I was buying a new bike at this point, it'd probably be a Ventum (if I could afford it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of the non-traditional designs, I think the Ventum makes a lot more sense than a beam bike. Leaving the down tube but removing the seat tube as far as I can tell just exposes the rear wheel to direct air flow. The leading edge of the tire is not as aero as the seat tube, so this seems like a negative. With the ventum, you keep the rear wheel shrouded by a seat tube and eliminate the down tube and the seat stays. Seems like a possible improvement to me, as long as the extra material at the top tube/seat tube junction and in the chain stays does not negate it.

A large amount of integrated hydration I think is great also as it eliminates the need for a sub-optimal bottle solution like behind the seat (less than comfortable to retrieve and requires getting out of the bars) or an aero bottle in the triangle (not as aero as no bottle!)

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed; I'd be interested to see what happens with the trailing air off the front wheel via smoke or CFD on the Ventum. The thought of just being able to run a BTA for 5-10 hour events is pretty nice (considering the integrated hydration storage). I strongly dislike BTS carriers for a variety of reasons. I cramped (briefly) at Miami 70.3 in 2014 trying to pull my damn bottle out of a Gorilla XT cage! ha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ridden a Dimond?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding bike's center of gravity and how the bike handles, I'd just like to say I agree on that point. It's a very real thing. One of the reasons I love my Shiv is that between the hydration bladder and the flat kit (I forget the weird names for them) all of the bike's weight is very low and centered. It just feels stable. I'm about as much of an aero weenie as anyone else on this board and know damn well the Shiv's weight distribution doesn't make up for the likely aero deficit it has to a Speed Concept but that doesn't change the fact that I *like it*
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I think the Ventum makes a lot more sense than a beam bike. Leaving the down tube but removing the seat tube as far as I can tell just exposes the rear wheel to direct air flow.

I've never quite understood the theory of why a beam bike might be beneficial, in aero, comfort (vs. other forms of suspension), or power transfer. Or at least seen it articulated in lay terms in one place. I can't find one on the Dimond site. They just refer glowingly to the Zipp 2001, but don't really articulate why they would want to use that as a reference design.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 11, 17 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, in the same way I rode the Ventum. Briefly. I've "test ridden" many of the tri bikes made over the past 3-4 years.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Apr 11, 17 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
I think the Ventum makes a lot more sense than a beam bike. Leaving the down tube but removing the seat tube as far as I can tell just exposes the rear wheel to direct air flow.

I've never quite understood the theory of why a beam bike might be beneficial, in aero, comfort (vs. other forms of suspension), or power transfer. Or at least seen it articulated in lay terms in one place. I can't find one on the Dimond site. They just refer glowingly to the Zipp 2001, but don't really articulate why they would want to use that as a reference design.

At one point they were arguing that there weren't any gains to be made in reducing pressure drag (e.g. frontal area and the resulting CdA) and that the only gains to be made were from reducing "friction drag" or "skin drag" (I forget which) by reducing surface area. Personally I think they were better off promoting aero equivalency with increased comfort (I think the comfort thing was real based on a couple of test rides).
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't understand why everyone assumes the dimond is slow without having ever tested it, or ever seen an independent test. Maybe it would be slow, but its impossible to know without testing.
It has had the fastest bike split at Kona (2015?) and TJ & Rapp have both won IMMT on them. Looks like Sam Gyde is back on a dimond as well. Does any of that mean anything? Not necessarily, but I doubt the bike is slow.

The difference in the feel of the ride is undeniable, the beam smooths it out. But if you haven't tried one, you wouldn't know. Doesn't mean its faster, but it is a nice benefit of the design. Just buy the bike you like the look of the most. Thats the one that will be fastest for you anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this post! I've got my eye on one and a phone call with the company today to ask them some questions. Cheers!

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone thinks it's "slow" but I, for one, don't believe their claims it's faster than the P5 or Speed Concept.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Personally I don't understand why everyone assumes the dimond is slow without having ever tested it

It's kind of a tribal over-reaction to the bombardment of assertions about it being incredibly fast, also with very little in the way of independent corroboration (at least that I can find).

Quote:
The difference in the feel of the ride is undeniable, the beam smooths it out

Undeniable, but in my opinion, not good. My experience so far leads me to believe I like a fixed effective seat height. I'll take my suspension in the tires and stays, thank you. Maybe it'd grow on me. But the possibility that it might grow on me sure isn't worth $8K+
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
Personally I don't understand why everyone assumes the dimond is slow without having ever tested it

It's kind of a tribal over-reaction to the bombardment of assertions about it being incredibly fast, also with very little in the way of independent corroboration (at least that I can find).

Quote:
The difference in the feel of the ride is undeniable, the beam smooths it out

Undeniable, but in my opinion, not good. My experience so far leads me to believe I like a fixed effective seat height. I'll take my suspension in the tires and stays, thank you. Maybe it'd grow on me. But the possibility that it might grow on me sure isn't worth $8K+

Assertions of it being incredibly fast..........you mean like every other company has said about their own bike, yes? :)

The feel of the beam - I totally agree that some folks may not like this, it for sure is a different feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know Ventum was wind tunnel testing here at Faster and I heard the frames test great.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I know Ventum was wind tunnel testing here at Faster and I heard the frames test great.

I heard Dimond tested at A2 and the frames test great. So what?

I also watched Weiss turn himself inside out to try to keep his Andean in the lead at Kona..
What does it all mean?? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

I heard Dimond tested at A2 and the frames test great. So what?

I also watched Weiss turn himself inside out to try to keep his Andean in the lead at Kona..
What does it all mean?? :)

Beats me, I got no dog in this. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish there was a guy at Kuota that just trolled everyone with this picture whenever threads head down this road. Maybe they should hire me to do it!
"TESTED AT KONA, FASTEST BIKE EVER! Returning for 2017, the Kuota Kalibur with SRAM Etap now only $12,999!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, back on topic, I wouldn't blame you for buying a Ventum. I came really close, but in the end, I just didn't like the look of the whole stem area. Nothing to do with aerodynamics, just didn't like the way it looked there. But otherwise I love the bike, and love the top tube bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
That's a GP4k 700x23 on relatively wide rims, so obviously there's a fair amount of clearance built into the fork/brake. This is a demo bike, so the dirtiness of the bike is not its fault...

Did you get any word on whether or not it is specced to accept a 25 wheel and tire?

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get any word on whether or not it is specced to accept a 25 wheel and tire?[/quote]==================================================================
i have a new ventum (january) and i have 25cc tires. they and the bike go well. i'm quite satisfied.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum One test ride [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
I wish there was a guy at Kuota that just trolled everyone with this picture whenever threads head down this road. Maybe they should hire me to do it!
"TESTED AT KONA, FASTEST BIKE EVER! Returning for 2017, the Kuota Kalibur with SRAM Etap now only $12,999!

Word on the street is he pushed 315 watts

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised they still haven't created a solution for the 'bottle gap'.

In absolute terms it seems no worse than having a round BTA up the front, but it's a downgrade on what would otherwise be a very elegant bike. A simple piece of plastic would do the job.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply

Prev Next