Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vector vs. Stages?
Quote | Reply
What is the latest in this debate? I am getting a 2015 P2 and want to purchase power as well. I was leaning towards the stages, but then my LBS suggested the Vector S. Seems like their are pros and cons to both.

Thanks!

http://www.tri-ingtokeepwarm.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [akbreezo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am more pro Vector

Vector pros

you can add the other side to have a more accurate PM
easier to move across bikes if they have different cranks on them
no issues communicating with a 910 or 920

Stages pros

Does bluetooth if you have a bluetooth only head unit

There are certainly others. I have Vectors and have been very happy with them
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why no powertap pedals?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
I am more pro Vector

Vector pros

you can add the other side to have a more accurate PM
easier to move across bikes if they have different cranks on them
no issues communicating with a 910 or 920

Stages pros

Does bluetooth if you have a bluetooth only head unit

There are certainly others. I have Vectors and have been very happy with them

I would also add that Stages will allow you to use any pedal type, where Vectors limit you to Look style. Vectors allow you to use any crank type or crank arm length, while Stages limits you to specific crank arms and of course you're stuck with that length.
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I didn't know about power tap pedals. What are the details there?

Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrcooper wrote:
Why no powertap pedals?

They are vaporware at the moment, the same as the chainring powermeter. So if he wants a powermeter soon, he won't have these options.

Personally, I'd skip Stages and get a 4iiii powermeter which they finally started shipping units. Cheaper than Stages, but works similarly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strongly recommend savings your pennies until you can measure both legs.

Power meters are expensive and a lot of hassle to use well, and eventually you will be annoyed that data is confounded by inconsistent left/right balance.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like vector would allow you to start with one leg and then move to two when the penny pile is refilled.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at power2max, their classic system is on sale and you can get a reliable dual leg crank based measurement system for <1000.

I blows my mind that people shop 1/2 a powermeter (stages) against a full powermeter (vector, quarq, srm, p2m, powertap).
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another good option, it looks like.
Brain hurting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for skipping those and going to either a power tap wheel(s) or a power2max

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer to this is a sincere "neither."

If you want a pedal-based PM, wait for the PowerTap pedals. They may be vaporware at the moment, but I would trust PowerTap to get them to market a lot more than an unproven startup, say, Brim Brothers.

If you want a crank-based PM, wait for the PowerTap C1. It looks to be a Stages killer.

If you really need a PM before these products are available, buy a used PowerTap wheel or a used Quarq or something used and relatively cheap and sell it when you buy your P1s or C1.

Or buy something else that you like - the current generation Quarqs are good, same with Power2Max... PowerTap hubs... those are the cheaper options.

Personal disclosure: I don't own a single PowerTap product, I am on Pioneer PMs at the moment. But hard to argue that PowerTap hasn't really shaken things up and the C1 sure looks like a Stages killer (or more likely, a Stages price dropper).

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Mar 25, 15 16:06
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
The answer to this is a sincere "neither."

If you want a pedal-based PM, wait for the PowerTap pedals. They may be vaporware at the moment, but I would trust PowerTap to get them to market a lot more than an unproven startup, say, Brim Brothers.

If you want a crank-based PM, wait for the PowerTap C1. It looks to be a Stages killer.

If you really need a PM before these products are available, buy a used PowerTap wheel or a used Quarq or something used and relatively cheap and sell it when you buy your P1s or C1s.

Or buy something else that you like - the current generation Quarqs are good, same with Power2Max... PowerTap hubs... those are the cheaper options.

Personal disclosure: I don't own a single PowerTap product, I am on Pioneer PMs at the moment. But hard to argue that PowerTap has really shaken things up and the C1 sure looks like a Stages killer (or more likely, a Stages price dropper).

This ^^^^ Powertap is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vector s single side p2m dual side powertap wheel used or wait for powertap chainring
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Honestly, I didn't know about power tap pedals. What are the details there?"

just announced. with prices, and ship dates. per a poll taken last week of slowtwitchers, right at 50% of everybody who is using power meters now favors one of the three power tap power meter platforms. the other 8 or so companies split up the other 50%.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very pleased with the Vectors. I use them on 3 different bikes and once calibrated (very simple). Just ride. Don't appear to be temp sensitive and just a little care mounting them is all it takes. A minute or two per side.
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [ddub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of great suggestions here and I really appreciate all of the feedback.

Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I strongly recommend savings your pennies until you can measure both legs.

Power meters are expensive and a lot of hassle to use well, and eventually you will be annoyed that data is confounded by inconsistent left/right balance.

They are and Garmin knows and is working on changes to the pedals to be released in about 2 months.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every power meter has had issues with their initial release.

Every one.

Some were able to fix their issues quickly and have survived and matured into robust and reliable products.

Some didn't, and we don't hear much about them any more.

The 4iiii or the PowerTap P1 or C1 may turn out to be great products -- but the odds are against the first release being great.

So the first rule of buying a power meter is: avoid low serial numbers. The second rule of buying a power meter is a special case of the first rule: don't predicate a buying decision on an unreleased product. They don't yet even have serial numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, how is Quarq a "full" powermeter. They don't measure on both sides either, unless I've missed something (entirely possible).

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Wait, how is Quarq a "full" powermeter. They don't measure on both sides either, unless I've missed something (entirely possible).

Quarq capture the output of both legs, whereas a left-only PM (Stages, Vector S, ROTOR LT, etc...) only captures the left-leg output. What differentiates Quarq from something like Vector full, or the ROTOR full systems, is that those two can differentiate the outputs between both legs, whereas Quarq cannot measure that (it guesses).

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So quarq measures total power and then estimates half of it, while Stages, Vector S, et al, measure half power and then estimate the total? Bizarre.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
So quarq measures total power and then estimates half of it, while Stages, Vector S, et al, measure half power and then estimate the total? Bizarre.

Simple answer: Basically correct.

Complex answer: In the case of the Quarq, for the left/right estimations it's looking at the portion of the stroke and assigning power to each side based on which portion of the stroke your in. I.e. when pushing down it gives credit to that side, versus pulling up it doesn't really credit you. None of this matters for the full power, which is captures, but just not the left/right assignment. Note that Power2Max does the same, as well the PowerTap C1.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vector vs. Stages? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
They are and Garmin knows and is working on changes to the pedals to be released in about 2 months.

oooh.. firmware or hardware?
if hardware is that the reason stocks are low?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always suggest to people who ask me, a used SRM is the way to go.

Low cost , good reliability, company will most likely be around another 10 yrs for service.
Quote Reply

Prev Next