Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vasa Ergometer
Quote | Reply
I am looking at buying this supplement my swim workouts... I am convinced that a lot of swim problems are caused by upper body weakness and that this could help me.

I am planning on potentially using this during my 3 times a week strength training sessions not as a replacement for swimming. I still plan on swimming 3 days a week.

Any thoughts or experiences would be very helpful...

Joel

http://vasatrainer.com/...-swim-ergometer.html
Last edited by: thomasjd0: Jun 23, 13 3:32
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Ergometer [thomasjd0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thomasjd0 wrote:
I am looking at buying this supplement my swim workouts... I am convinced that a lot of swim problems are caused by upper body weakness and that this could help me. I am planning on potentially using this during my 3 times a week strength training sessions not as a replacement for swimming. I still plan on swimming 3 days a week. Any thoughts or experiences would be very helpful...
Joel http://vasatrainer.com/...-swim-ergometer.html

I've never used one but I've heard good things about them and many top swim programs like Germantown do indeed use these. The power meter output looks a lot like the one on the Concept One rowing ergometer, which I have used, mainly as a substitute for swimming when I was deployed to IRQ and AFG. The only drawback is the boredom factor; the feel of the water when swimming is much more fun than the erg. But if you can put up with it for 30 min 3 days per week, it might really improve your upper body strength in a very swim-specific way.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joel,

I have used the Vasa Ergometer since 2011 when I was deployed to Kuwait with the Army. At the time, I had to almost replace swimming with the Erg and was able to sustain my fitness and build my strength. Since I have been back in the States, I still continue to use the Erg in addition to swimming 3-4 days a week. I use it about 2 times a week, but 3 is totally fine. It requires minimal time and distance, yet the rewards are exponential. For example, you can get on and do 100m WU, 4x100m repeats w/ 30 sec rec, and 100m CD and only do 600m but get a great workout that will translate to the water by focusing on core and upper body swimming strength and power. The Vasa Ergometer is a great tool and a wonderful investment that I will agree to be a must have. Here is a good video with my coach that talks more about the Erg: http://www.timcrowley.biz/...-ergometer-workouts/

Regards,
Nicholas S

Nicholas Sterghos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in college I had to have surgery and was out of pool for ~3 weeks. I did some killer sessions on the Vasa trainer and lots of weights. I put up PRs when I got back in the water. Granted I was a sprinter - but it worked well for me. They didn't have power meters back then.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Jun 24, 13 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I have one. Bought it in February of this year to use as a swim replacement and convenience b/c of busy work and home schedule prohibiting me from getting to the pool.

I use it 2x per week combined with 2 pool swims per week. I do 2-3k workouts on on the ERG made of mostly shorter intervals to build power. I reserve the longer sets for the pool (and yes I use PB and Paddles for 80% of those sessions).

In total my volume is 10-12k per week combined. Result: open water swim times this year are faster than last year.

In short: great investment if you don't mind staring at the floor. If you are focused on results, you won't be disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joel,

We are huge fans of the Vasa (both the trainer and the erg), having used the analog trainer since the early 90s and the erg more recently. We used them a few days a week in age group swimming and through high school and college, both to increase strength and to practice technique. I have an erg and one of my teammates has the trainer. They are great supplements to pool/open water swimming.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
http://www.roka.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Ergometer [rokasports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a used Vasa trainer. Had a chance on an Erg, but missed it.

Any suggested workouts?
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Ergometer [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thought this was interesting myself and to share to those newbies.
History: starting using the vasa ergo at july working on building up to door setting 7. Prior to this no swimming in a pool for 18mth. In the past 10 mths no pool swimming only time I touch the water was in a race. Now nearly a year later back to the vasa to build for the next 70.3 season, so I will have some residue base from my just gone season with the first race in Sept. This time I am aiming for the 70.3 world qualifier on a podium, not on a roll down slot. No training plan purchased for the build phase which is currently 1 week old and 4 weeks since my last OD race during which it has been run/bike. Now serious AeT zone 2 work for 3 weeks till I get to 16 weeks out from A race, then I will buy into Dave Scotts training peaks plan for the build peak taper advance 15hr week. All my vasa AeT work will be accordingly to race distance in this case 2187y, the bike 2.5hrs, the run 90mins all in AeT zone 2 for another 2weeks.

Today: 2187y 36:55mins 1:41/100m Pw:Hr 63.7% 58watts 91aveHr (max108) 42spm... compared to Monday's 1st session
.....2187y 40:16........1:45/100y........... 65% 54w 83Hr

The reason in sharing this is for those newbies starting out is will take several months to build up to door setting 7. Through my reading with Maffatone, Joe Friel, Alan Couzans, et al lots of qulaity consistent AeT will pay off when it come to the peak period in the plan.

Anyway I though it was interesting.

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply