Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Valve extender question
Quote | Reply
I have a Zipp 808 wheel that requires a long valve (92mm). I would really like to find a tube that has the required length valve without having to piece together an extender. Zipp did not know of a one-piece valve that was available for this wheel. I have heard it is better to get an extender with a "removable valve core" to ensure a tight fit with no leaks. Why is the removable core valve a better choice?

If anyone knows where I can get a tube with a 92mm valve without having to piece it together please advise... or if you know of a foolproof way to use an extender without worrying about leaking also please let me know. The last thing I want is to be fixing a flat on the side of the road during a race and having to worry about a valve extender...

And... the million dollar question... why doesn't anyone make these as one piece??
Quote Reply
Re: Valve extender question [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CTYankee wrote:
I have a Zipp 808 wheel that requires a long valve (92mm). I would really like to find a tube that has the required length valve without having to piece together an extender. Zipp did not know of a one-piece valve that was available for this wheel. I have heard it is better to get an extender with a "removable valve core" to ensure a tight fit with no leaks. Why is the removable core valve a better choice?

If anyone knows where I can get a tube with a 92mm valve without having to piece it together please advise... or if you know of a foolproof way to use an extender without worrying about leaking also please let me know. The last thing I want is to be fixing a flat on the side of the road during a race and having to worry about a valve extender...

And... the million dollar question... why doesn't anyone make these as one piece??

I don't know of any tube with a long enough valve. Use a valve extender with removable core. No leaks, no worries, and mostly foolproof. The removable core extender is the better choice because of no leaks, no worries, and mostly foolproof.
Quote Reply
Re: Valve extender question [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silca and Topeak removable core extenders are easy to use and leak free
Quote Reply
Re: Valve extender question [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does a removable core improve leak prevention?
Quote Reply
Re: Valve extender question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By not having to leave the valve open inside the rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Valve extender question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Air pressure keeps the valve closed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should but not always
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past 31 years, I have never seen a normal valve extender leak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past 31 years I've seen about 10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you properly install a valve extender it won't leak. I've got some cheapo valve extenders on my Jet 9 front wheel and it works with no issues. These are a Amazon special that cost me $7 for a pack of 10 (or something, I forget but a bunch of them, 70mm length extenders). Several wraps of teflon tape on the threads and ensured it is nice and torqued down and it works fine with no leaks. I also dabbed a tiny bit so super glue on the valve head locking mechanisam to lock it open. To ensure it doesn't eventually work its way loose and then I can't add any air to it down the road (that has happened to people now and then). That is where the I feel the major advantage of the valve extenders is made for removable cores.

But valves will eventually wear out (with an extender or not). So you've got to replace them eventually.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Nov 21, 17 8:15
Quote Reply