Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado
Quote | Reply
Hey guys had a chance to catch up with Gwen, Pat, and Stanley in Colorado this past weekend. Following her on that run kicked my freaking butt! haha I was out of breath coming from sea level. I will be heading out to do some more videos of her next week.

Do you have any feedback for me on what you guys want to see? Or questions for Gwen. I think we plan to sit down and read some questions to the camera that she is going to answer on (Short videos and post on her facebook). Thanks again for all the support.

Ps share this video on your social media channels it helps me a ton. The more views we get the more videos they want to do (testing stages)! Additionally I am working with 3 other athletes right now on doing youtube videos as well! stay tuned! 😋

Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sponsorship questions would be the first everyone here wants to know. did she drop asic, is she holding out for more money after she proves herself a bit more?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my questions are these:

1. is she in a group? is she training with the bowerman tc or some other enclave of women runners?

2. i believe emily infeld rehabbed a recent injury with a lot of swim/bike. is gwen doing any swim/bike? is there any actual swim/bike making its way into the training of these women? i don't think it's fair, quite yet, to ask a miles-per-week question because there haven't been enough weeks to establish a pattern i don't think. but i would like to know if swim/bike is only a rehab thing or if it's a thing these ladies do when they're healthy too.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t know about sponsorship, but she has some really great slow motion shots of those baby blue Nike shoes!! 😏
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like this video, great job. I prefer this style of video that has more meat to it than some of the more cinematic videos you did, especially in Kona. Keep up the great work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice video! My takeaway was the 10 mile run in 80 min at 6k feet sounds pretty easy for her. Guess it goes to show we should all make our easy days easy to make those hard days count.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
my questions are these:

1. is she in a group? is she training with the bowerman tc or some other enclave of women runners?

2. i believe emily infeld rehabbed a recent injury with a lot of swim/bike. is gwen doing any swim/bike? is there any actual swim/bike making its way into the training of these women? i don't think it's fair, quite yet, to ask a miles-per-week question because there haven't been enough weeks to establish a pattern i don't think. but i would like to know if swim/bike is only a rehab thing or if it's a thing these ladies do when they're healthy too.

He should make a video with the answers to those questions.
Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [scyharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scyharris wrote:
Don’t know about sponsorship, but she has some really great slow motion shots of those baby blue Nike shoes!! 😏

She also has her Red Bull headband turned around so the logo is covered by her poytail. They do make a point of getting a good shot of her Island House tote going into the gym. I assume nothing regarding logos is accidental at this point; she has fewer logos showing than the typical person running on the treadmill at the gym.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just FYI, the STer "mlegrande" posted a link to your video earlier today on the thread about Gwen's first race, which begins with your video #1 in the Gwen series.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha good eye on the island house bag. I did not even notice that. I think thats Gwens go to bag (Stanleys dippers, to her running gear, books ect) no telling what you will find in there, maybe even some snacks from Pat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing video Talbot !!! Great stuff !!

Curious to understand how Gwen prepared herself for the sports transition. There is definitely a lot of frustration from going to the best at what you do without any close competition to doing something new at a very competitive level while dealing with the learning curve. Does she has therapeutic support to grow thru that ? Is it basically her strong power of will?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoy all the videos that you are doing.

I would be curious to learn more about the following:

1. Sponsors, those that have stuck with her with the transition and any new ones, which I can only presume might include Nike given the kicks she is wearing, the group she is training with, and who she is getting some coaching from.

2. Race plans, including whether there are more track races planned, road races, and the distances, and I'm guessing it is still far to early to ask when she might consider tackling a marathon.

3. Training structure, breaking down the number of workouts in a week, what they look like, the long run, whether she is doing or plans to do double run days and if the swims or bikes have any structure or are just added in to flush out the legs.

4. Strength training, and whether she has a specific routine, frequency, and exercises etc.

5. Solo training versus with the Bowman Babes, what's the split?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job mate, keep em coming. Liked this video much more than the more edited ones. I guess it is a question of taste, but I do prefer the more up close and personal ones, they show the super athlete as a more ordinary human. Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [leontuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is definitely a lot of frustration from going to the best at what you do without any close competition to doing something new at a very competitive level while dealing with the learning curve.

Having been around top-level athletes pretty much my whole life, I can tell you that "frustration" is a word you hardly ever hear used. These folks tend to be organic optimists - where they see challenges, they also see opportunities. They also know that, just because you may be #1, and this is particularly so among top triathletes, they know that when they mix and train with single-sporters, who are at their same level in their sport, they are going to be challenged to hang in there - but they are looking at the bigger picture and knowing that, that IS what is going to make them better.

I don't know exactly what's going on inside Gwen's head, but I'm sure the freshness, newness and simplicity of this (just running), are really big motivators.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 20, 18 8:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Colleen Quigley - the 3rd ranked U.S. women's Seeplechaser, and generally a rapidly rising middle distance running star, has in the last year embraced real swimming into her routine - https://www.colleenquigley.org/runner-turned-mermaid/

Pool Running, has historically been a popular way to rehab for runners coming back from various injuries. Less so has been the embracing of real swimming!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 20, 18 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the Colleen Q. link, funny..

"..alternated between swimming and aqua jogging. I figured this might signal to the lifeguard and other legit swimmers that I was really a runner and then they might not judge me so much for my horrible form!"
Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Colleen Quigley - the 3rd ranked U.S. women's Seeplechaser, and generally a rapidly rising middle distance running star, has in the last year embraced real swimming into her routine - https://www.colleenquigley.org/runner-turned-mermaid/
Pool Running, has historically been a popular way to rehab for runners coming back from various injuries. Less so has been the embracing of real swimming!

Hard to tell from just her pictures but her swimming form looks pretty good from what i can see. And her form in her modeling shots is, ummm, pretty good too. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the videos. Keep them coming.

I would like to

-find out about her nutrition. She seems to highlight the importance of adequate and right fueling for performance and injurie prevention reasons. How does that look for her?

-know how the weekly hours now compare to the hours ehe did as a Triathlete. Of course they are lower now. But ho much? And how hard is it to be a runner compared to a Triathlete. (I mean you do less, but the pounding etc. is much harder and you feel can feel more beaten up on less volume).

(And don't listen to the trolls on letsrun. Sure there are hundreds of people that like the vids and keep quiet for every unconstrucrive and dumb comment.)

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
(And don't listen to the trolls on letsrun. Sure there are hundreds of people that like the vids and keep quiet for every unconstrucrive and dumb comment.)
What's ťhat about?
Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If she's getting advice from who she says she is, then those could be "Jerry" miles. 8 minutes = 1 mile for women, no matter what the actual pace was. That said, Gwen has a history of being very disciplined on easy days so the sentiment of "easy days easy to make the hard days hard) remains. Just makes the numbers a touch harder to read into.
Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [nowhere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Video is up! I asked her a some of the questions you guys asked. We are going to make separate videos for facebook to answer those. Not enough time in these to squeeze them in. I hope you guys enjoy. PS this was one freaking hard run. I had to take a 2 hour nap after and I was on a bike! haha

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the only way to make these better would be to add some guest shots with Shalane "Fuck Yeah" Flanagan. Nailed it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well 10k short of running a 2;40 or so marathon, at altitude, in the snow, and a training run. Guess the just running part of the program is over. I would like to see her in some more beefy shoes though, she seems to be spending a lot of time with her Achilles and calfs stretching them, and mentioned they were on edge.

I really hope she doesn't get some coach that pushes her to 100+ miles a week, she would go there in a minute(seems to be in her head already) and probably not really benefit. She will do very well I believe running her 80 to 90 MPW at closer to race pace stuff than slogging an extra 30 miles just to get big mileage in. One just has to take a look back at a lot of the top 10'ers who stepped up to the marathon distance. Most did their best times in the beginning before big mileage took over their programs. I think for her a solid 10k longish program would be her best result for long races, and the least likely to break her down or injure her..

Love the vids, keep them coming!!
Quote Reply
Re: VIDEO** Gwen training at altitude in Colorado [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Well 10k short of running a 2;40 or so marathon, at altitude, in the snow, and a training run. Guess the just running part of the program is over. I would like to see her in some more beefy shoes though, she seems to be spending a lot of time with her Achilles and calfs stretching them, and mentioned they were on edge.

Impressive running for sure. I assume these are the zoom fly which are pretty beefy albeit a race pace type shoe. 8.4 oz, 10mm drop and 33mm under the heel is quite a bit of shoe. They could be the Vapor fly 4% but I would think not? I'm not sure what a heavier shoe would do to help at this stage - seems like it's strength work and preventative stuff. That Achilles stuff is terrible though...

But finally, she's in a Nike shoe...training with Schumacher...being a Nike athlete is the next thing around the corner I assume.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are great, just subscribed to the channel. I'm really interested in following her running career, great to see her running w/ Shalane.
Quote Reply

Prev Next