Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity
Quote | Reply
I currently use a Garmin Fenix 3 Sapphire for all my activities but I think I would like to have a bike computer to get a better and safer view of stats without having to look at my watch while cycling. I know some people rotate the watch face to the underside of their wrists. As clunky as the Fenix 3 is, that is kind of awkward.

Is there some way to use both the Fenix 3 and Edge together and while I perform a longer event like an Ironman and synchronize the results from each device to save battery on my watch? I am not sure My Fenix 3 will last the duration of an Ironman event.

Another question I had was if there was an optimal configuration for the Fenix 3 to maintain battery through a longer event by disabling nonessential features. Has anyone had any success with that?
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [NotSoFast80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used my garmin edge 500 & 735xt at IM Wisconsin last yr. i did NOT have my power transmitted to the watch during the bike. It wasn't a true sync but I did it for the same reason you suggested & nearly got 11 hrs out of the 735.
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not have a power meter yet but use a cadence and HRM chest strap via ANT+. Wish I could sync the two devices into the same event instead of having 3 events. Has anyone had any luck making it through a full IM with a Fenix 3? If so, what was your time and watch setup?
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [NotSoFast80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NotSoFast80 wrote:
I do not have a power meter yet but use a cadence and HRM chest strap via ANT+. Wish I could sync the two devices into the same event instead of having 3 events. Has anyone had any luck making it through a full IM with a Fenix 3? If so, what was your time and watch setup?

Yep. My Fenix 3 made it through 13:57 of IM Mont Tremblant with 11% battery left. That was measuring power and heart rate; GLONASS was off (I think), along with Bluetooth and Wifi. 1 sec recording rate. I also utilized a Garmin 510 as a bike computer for the same reasons...too hard to see what's on the watch face while riding.

Quote | Reply
I haven't picked up my 935 yet but I'd like to try this:
Setup the cycling activity in multi sport as hr broadcast only (no gps). So swim and run are normal metrics and when I get through transition it will broadcast HR to my bike computer.

Not sure if that's possible, and not sure if it's applicable with your fenix, but a thought none the less.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjones2k9 wrote:
I haven't picked up my 935 yet but I'd like to try this:
Setup the cycling activity in multi sport as hr broadcast only (no gps). So swim and run are normal metrics and when I get through transition it will broadcast HR to my bike computer.

Not sure if that's possible, and not sure if it's applicable with your fenix, but a thought none the less.

This is not possible on my 735. Did you read somewhere that it works (or will work) on a 935?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing this for many years. Here's a great way to do it: Have your watch collect everything during the race. Don't pay much attention to it during the bike, except that you've gone from swim to bike successfully. During the bike, use your bike computer for your main display of data. If your bike computer doesn't work correctly, you have a backup computer running on your watch. This comes in handy often.

Upload your data from the race from your watch to Training Peaks or whatever you use and check it out. Did it grab everything and the numbers and graphs look correct? Good, then you can just delete or ignore the bike computer's file. Or even compare them if you want to geek out. Is the bike data from your watch bad? Then upload your bike computer data and keep it instead.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I've been doing this for many years. Here's a great way to do it: Have your watch collect everything during the race. Don't pay much attention to it during the bike, except that you've gone from swim to bike successfully. During the bike, use your bike computer for your main display of data. If your bike computer doesn't work correctly, you have a backup computer running on your watch. This comes in handy often.

Upload your data from the race from your watch to Training Peaks or whatever you use and check it out. Did it grab everything and the numbers and graphs look correct? Good, then you can just delete or ignore the bike computer's file. Or even compare them if you want to geek out. Is the bike data from your watch bad? Then upload your bike computer data and keep it instead.

x2. This is exactly what I do as well, both racing and on every bike ride.

Quote | Reply
If you wanted to with the 920xt you could set the bike to no GPS by editing the bike mode or just set it to import instead of outdoor bike mode. I imagine 910, 735 and the 935 will all do the same thing. However I just leave watch running during the bike and use as suggested above, using my 520 as the principle way to view bike stats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my Garmin Edge on the bike (with autopause enabled) and use it for bike data. I have my Forerunner with my shoes, started up and ready to go, with my running gear. When I get done off the bike, I stop the Edge (hopefully, but I've got the autopause backup plan). I get my shoes and put on/ start the Forerunner to get run data. I upload them separately. The only thing I miss is transition data, which I can get from the race results anyway.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^ This is pretty much what I do.

I do watch for swim, Edge 500 for bike, and watch for run. I'm not really concerned with grabbing transition time. What I'm more worried about is hitting lap at an incorrect time and starting the next section of the triathlon, and then messing up the files that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, haven't tried it. I have no idea if my want is even possible, but would like to try it that way.

I thought the broadcast while recording an activity was fixed with an update, if that's what you are referring to.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

I'm planning to do this with 935/520 this year with the 935 in triathlon mode. Will power meters pair with both devices at the same time? I'd like to record power for race reflection and don't necessarily need it for pacing. Thus, I'd definitely want it on the 935 and if possible, would take a peak at the 520 if I could pair that as well.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b-rudy wrote:
Will power meters pair with both devices at the same time?

Yes. Ant+ devices really don't 'pair' like BT devices do. The power meter is just broadcasting out data and your watch and computer will listen in and record. Therefore, any number of devices within 'earshot' can record/display that data.
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjones2k9 wrote:
No, haven't tried it. I have no idea if my want is even possible, but would like to try it that way.

I thought the broadcast while recording an activity was fixed with an update, if that's what you are referring to.

I just tried, but could not find such a way to do that. It would be nice though. If you figure it out, let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b-rudy wrote:

yes

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Utilizing Garmin Watch and Garmin Edge in Same Event or Activity [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
b-rudy wrote:

Yes. Ant+ devices really don't 'pair' like BT devices do. The power meter is just broadcasting out data and your watch and computer will listen in and record. Therefore, any number of devices within 'earshot' can record/display that data.

Excellent, thanks. All set!

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read on Garmin forum post that you can plug in a USB portable battery during the bike leg and still maintain tracking of efforts. I guess you'd put the watch and USB charger in your bento box if you had the room. I was thinking of maybe leaving the USB charger in my bike SN bag and starting the charge at that point up until T2.

Can anyone vouch for this claim?

I suppose I could try it and see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b-rudy wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

I'm planning to do this with 935/520 this year with the 935 in triathlon mode. Will power meters pair with both devices at the same time? I'd like to record power for race reflection and don't necessarily need it for pacing. Thus, I'd definitely want it on the 935 and if possible, would take a peak at the 520 if I could pair that as well.
As others have said yes this will work. Just make sure that the crank lengths are set to the same on both devices as that can mess them up if they are not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like DC Rainmaker did a video on it actually. This is what I am going to do. Still would like to get an Edge though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9haDnwIuSQ&feature=youtu.be

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When racing, I just put my 920XT on OWS (start of race).....and stop that activity when I reach the swim exit.

I don't use the 920XT again, until I exit T2. When left alone for that amount of time, it'll cycle to the time of day, eventually.

In T1, I power up my 510, then use it for the bike leg. I "try" to remember to hit the end button when I get to T2.

As I said earlier, I then go to Run mode on the 920XT and use it for the run.

I have data for the swim, bike and run legs, it's just on different devices. I'm not really sure what the advantage is to having it on one (although I haven't thought it through, admittedly). I've yet to use the triathlon mode on my 920XT. I know there's no way I could remember to hit the buttons at every mat.
Quote Reply