Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Utah races
Quote | Reply
Hi all, first racing season in Utah and I'm working on my race calendar. I'm in SLC, what are the best local/semi-local races? Any ones I should avoid? Will the reservoirs be full enough? I mostly race sprints and olympics. I'm not doing St. George this year but I'm not opposed to a half either.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Utah races [dirtydan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Utah races [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard good things about the Bear Lake Brawl.
Quote Reply
Re: Utah races [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, are any of those tri utah races particular favorites of yours?
Last edited by: dirtydan: Mar 26, 15 16:55
Quote Reply
Re: Utah races [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, bear lake looks fun. I might get crazy and do both the Olympic and the half
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.racetri.com/the-utah-half/

Toughman Utah, formerly the Utah half I believe, is another option. Has anyone done the Utah half before?
Quote Reply
Re: Utah races [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will second Racetri. They are awesome, all of their races are top notch, great support and amazing medals.

I have done the Utah Half and loved it. Other than swimming in Utah Lake which is kinda nasty, it's a great race and very flat/fast. Doing it again this year, curious to see how it changes being with Toughman now.

http://www.runandtrimommy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Utah races [klimb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard good things about toughman and it looks like their portfolio of races continues to grow. I was between toughman new mexico and utah as they're the same weekend but the way things are looking I'll be heading out and joining you in the utah half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Utah. I'm a middle-aged BOP triathlete, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

With that said, my very favorite event is the Echo Triathlon. The swim can be iffy if the water is low - I once saw a guy walk the entire swim course while making ludicrous 'swimming' motions with his arms to try to disguise the fact - but the bike and run courses are just fantastic. It's very popular by local standards (200 participants in the olympic last year - that's a big crowd around here) and the fast guys tend to show up.

I've never done the Bear Lake Brawl, but I have done the Mountain Tropic tri, which was a half on the same course as the Brawl (Mountain Tropic has since folded, evidently). The course is fantastic but I cannot speak to the organizers. Note that the (super-ghetto) website claims they will run a full distance this year; I wouldn't count on that happening. They announced the same thing last year and then did not run it; Mountain Tropic did the same thing. I think the signups for an independent full-distance tri are just so pitiful that it's not worth putting it on. But maybe this is the year!

I would not recommend the Daybreak Tri. The swim is in a rather unpleasant man-made 'lake' and the bike is a tour of suburbia.

Oh, and you should show up for the Saltair Duathlon. It's a small event and the course is unremarkable except that it fronts the Salt Lake. But as a new guy in town you should visit the lake at least once (just so you know what a cesspool it is - though I can put you in touch with (barking mad) people who swim it regularly if you so desire) and that would be a good excuse.
Quote Reply
Re: Utah races [kvigor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input, I'm liking what I'm hearing about bear lake. A lot of my favorite races are those that are out in the middle of nowhere and have ghetto websites :)

I had Echo on the list so I'll do that one for sure.

I was actually going to do (du) Saltair but my parents are going to be in town that weekend and I'm not sure they can take the thrill of duathlon spectating ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RaceTri events are very well ran. The Utah half is great except for swimming in that extremely shallow lake. The TriUtah events are great as well and they have the points series if you like a little more motivation. I liked the Daybreak Oly but the swim is a little odd since you swim in the man-made lake that was built for the Daybreak community and not swimming.
Quote Reply