Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using iPhone for turn-by-turn navigation on long rides
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm trying to find an iPhone app which would allow me to navigate through a predefined road cycling route (usually as a GPX file) by displaying turn-by-turn directions during the ride on iPhone's screen. I found an app called RideWithGPS which seems to do what I need. However, the problem is battery consumption - when screen is kept on, the battery consumption is about 30% per hour (iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1). Naturally battery lasts longer if I turn the screen off, but that defeats the whole purpose of the app, which is navigation.

In optimal case the app would let the iPhone to lock the screen when no interesting activity is happening and then wake it up again before POIs & turns, but I think that's impossible to do in an iOS app (at least on a non-jailbroken device).

Do you have any good iPhone-based navigation solutions for rides which last several (say, from 4 to 6) hours? Or is the Garmin 800/810 the only way to go?
Quote Reply
Re: Using iPhone for turn-by-turn navigation on long rides [nzhuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to try just the map if you have the 5s. I learned this weekend over in IM Switzerland that if you preload the map (look at the map in all the areas that you ride) that you don't need any cell or internet signal. I preloaded most of the country and went on an 8 hour road trip and the map/gps worked fine with turn by turn. Might help your battery issue considerably.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Using iPhone for turn-by-turn navigation on long rides [nzhuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can also get an external battery pack. Some are quite small, but can still hold another charge or two.

Do not wait till the battery is low to plug it in. If you are losing 30% an hour, even the high-current batteries will struggle to keep up with that drain.
Quote Reply
Re: Using iPhone for turn-by-turn navigation on long rides [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Google & Apple Maps apps are quite good at offline mapping, but AFAIK they don't support navigation of a predefined route. When riding long, new routes a navigation based on predefined route would be quite useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Endomondo and mapmyride with pretty good results, but neither does exactly what you're asking for. With Endomondo I can usually get 3+ hours in navigation mode on my iPhone 4 with ios6.
Quote Reply