Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using Garmin 500 in a race: best starting practice
Quote | Reply
So I get to my bike in T1 after an hour or so following getting kicked out of transition. What's the best way to get the 500 to be up and running? Hit the power button as soon as I get to my bike, hit the timer when I'm on the bike. I get that. How do I stop it from asking to calibrate to my PT wheel? Is that configurable? Just hope that it finds the satellites in a reasonable amount of time?

Any way to keep the power on and do some kind of autostart?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Using Garmin 500 in a race: best starting practice [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the user manual.

1.Press and hold MENU.
2.Select Settings > System > Auto Power Down.
3.Select On or Off

Turn that off, do the calibrate while setting things up. It will be ready when you get back.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Garmin 500 in a race: best starting practice [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In everything up to a half ironman, I set my Garmin to autopause when stopped. When I leave to go swim, I start the Garmin and then it immediately auto pauses. When I get to the bike in T1, I don't have to do anything. I do the same in T2, just rack my bike and it auto pauses. It does record running through transition but that has never been an issue. If you need to, you can always manually crop the file.

Quote | Reply
I had these same questions in my head this past weekend as I raced for the first time with both the 500 and a power meter.

I ultimately turned my garmin on before I got kicked out of T1 and made sure to set it to never turn off and calibrated the power meter at this point.

When I got to my bike in T1 I simply jumped on and hit start.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Garmin 500 in a race: best starting practice [waitebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Genius.

Seriously Genius.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Garmin 500 in a race: best starting practice [waitebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I used a 500 I did this:
I turn the auto shut off - off
Power up before the race and found PM and speed sensor
When I ran out of T1 I hit the start button.
I left the auto-pause on so after the bike portion I just left it alone.

I do the same thing with my 810 now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waitebe wrote:
In everything up to a half ironman, I set my Garmin to autopause when stopped. When I leave to go swim, I start the Garmin and then it immediately auto pauses. When I get to the bike in T1, I don't have to do anything. I do the same in T2, just rack my bike and it auto pauses. It does record running through transition but that has never been an issue. If you need to, you can always manually crop the file.

What do you do for the Ironman distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Using Garmin 500 in a race: best starting practice [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
highflyer wrote:
waitebe wrote:

What do you do for the Ironman distance?

Can't speak for him but I do the exact same thing for all distances, including IM. No issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an 800 and I turn it on before heading into the water. It is set up to not automatically turn off and I calibrate power before the swim as well. Then when I hit the mount line, I start the timer and leave it run till I get to the dismount line at which point I turn off the timer. I leave the unit powered on as I head off to the run.

In some cases I'll have the 800 set to autopause when I stop but then I have a 920XT which is running continuously.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Garmin 500 in a race: best starting practice [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only spectate ironman distances. :)