Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Used equipment economics
Quote | Reply
I just looked up the blue book value of my fully functional car and it had a private seller value of $800.

I just sold a used set of Zipp 404s on eBay for $800.

One went from $20,000 to $800 in 16 yrs. The other went from $2000 to $800 in 8 yrs.

I guess pretty much everything gets to zero value over time. Until it doesn't and gets more valuable again as a "classic".

It got me to thinking about if any "products" that I own have a value over $500 after 20 yrs. The only thing I could come up with is my dads gold watch. I guess I should add the house to that list even though I never consider it a product but I guess I should. So real estate and jewelry.
Quote Reply
Re: Used equipment economics [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds about right, had some watches i have bought and sold and broke even. Everything else gone down

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why it drives me crazy when people say "I'm going to invest in a carbon wheelset."
Sorry, that's not an investment, it's spending.
Unless perhaps you think it's going to make the difference between prize money and not. Personally I have no such delusions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very true, but in the end, health and fun makes it all worth it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Antiques, art, Jewelry (bought at auction, not retail!). Wine, sometimes. But there are no guarantees. Buy what you like, that way you get to enjoy it regardless.
Quote Reply
Re: Used equipment economics [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes its shocking the price difference at auction vs retail for that kind of stuff.

FatandSlow wrote:
Antiques, art, Jewelry (bought at auction, not retail!). Wine, sometimes. But there are no guarantees. Buy what you like, that way you get to enjoy it regardless.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Used equipment economics [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rare books too. retail vs selling. whole worlds apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
I just looked up the blue book value of my fully functional car and it had a private seller value of $800.

I hold the belief that if a car cranks and will pass inspection (if your state has this requirement) then a car is worth $1,000 minimum.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Used equipment economics [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
7401southwick wrote:

I hold the belief that if a car cranks and will pass inspection (if your state has this requirement) then a car is worth $1,000 minimum.

In college me and two roomates bought the jalopy of all jalopies. The tires were so bald they looked like racing tires, it smelled, the engine smoked and it squealed really loudly when you turned. She wanted $500 for it, we said $100, she said $150 and I'll give you a license plate from my other car ( Because it didn't have one). This was in the summer in michigan and we used the car to go to the beach. The first time we went we were so nervous about get pulled over we decided to stay at the beach until nightfall because we figured we would attract less attention in the dark. Whoops, no headlights. Sleeping in the car wasn't an option (the smell was only tolerable with the windows open and air circulating) so we duct taped the two flashlights that were (apparently not randomly) in the backseat of the car. Really.

But we got used to it and actually got a dozen or so trips to South Haven Beach out of it. I bet someone from West Michigan will know exactly who I am talking about here: somewhere near South Haven lived a fine gentleman who would cut his grass on a riding lawn mower wearing nothing but a pink thong. He was kind of a local legend. Well when the car broke down for good it happened to be reasonably close to his house so we had the good sense to walk past 50 other perfectly fine houses and over to his to use the phone (obviously this was pre cellphone). He was not outside on the mowever, we joked that he would come to the door in his thong. We walked up to the door with arms akimbo. We knock. He opened the door a crack. "Can we use your phone, our ummm car broke down?" "Sure, come on in...."

Dude was fucking naked.
Quote Reply