Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Use my wheel cover at WC in Chattanooga or not
Quote | Reply
I'm racing Worlds Sunday and have a little dilemma. I know my rear cover would be faster than my 404 but in the largest rear cog the cover rubs ever so slightly against the jockey wheel frame. My question is that will that little bit of resistance for the amount of time I'll be in the 28 tooth slow me down more than the time savings from running the cover? Any guesses?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Use my wheel cover at WC in Chattanooga or not [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be going up lookout mountain. That is a beast of a climb. That is probably the only time you will be on the 28.
Quote Reply
Re: Use my wheel cover at WC in Chattanooga or not [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
I'm racing Worlds Sunday and have a little dilemma. I know my rear cover would be faster than my 404 but in the largest rear cog the cover rubs ever so slightly against the jockey wheel frame. My question is that will that little bit of resistance for the amount of time I'll be in the 28 tooth slow me down more than the time savings from running the cover? Any guesses?

I would actually like to see some quantification of something like this, and brake rub for that matter. With that being said, it is already on your mind. While it may be more aero when working probably, the mental energy going into it is probably not worth it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you could adjust your L screw a tad to clear up the rub?

I'd run the cover if it really is slight and ONLY on 28 if you can't get to not rub. If you're 2x you've got a bunch of choices.
Quote Reply
Re: Use my wheel cover at WC in Chattanooga or not [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Maybe you could adjust your L screw a tad to clear up the rub?

I'd run the cover if it really is slight and ONLY on 28 if you can't get to not rub. If you're 2x you've got a bunch of choices.

No, can't be adjusted not to rub. Two different mechanics have tried. Yes it's very slight and only in 28. Yes running 2x. I'm leaning towards running it especially since looks like gonna have some wind Sunday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure your RD hanger is straight,if not that could be the cause of the rub on the cover.
It is very possible even with a straight hanger it may rub,I saw this happen before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had athletes with this issue, since limit screw was no help you can try taping the the backside of wheel cover to the spokes to "suck" it in just a touch. Gorilla tape seems to hold pretty well for this.

Best in Health,
Scott Proscia, BS ATC M.Ed ACSM-CPT
IRONMAN Certified Coach
Head Performance Coach
IREP Athletics / The Training Plan Source
http://www.TheTrainingPlanSource.com
http://www.IREPAthletics.com
email - coach@TheTrainingPlanSource.com

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Last edited by: IREPathletics: Sep 7, 17 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: Use my wheel cover at WC in Chattanooga or not [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^This. Taping the drive side to the spokes with duct tape fixed the slight rub that I had.
Last edited by: steve25: Sep 7, 17 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really shouldn't be in your 28T cog unless your running massive chain rings. Even if your little ring is a 39 (which I'm sure yours is a 36) you'd be fine.

Also, why put a cover on a 404? You're covering the wheel so you may as well just use lighter shallower training wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Use my wheel cover at WC in Chattanooga or not [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taping it worked like a charm. Hopefully it will hold.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took mine off for tmrw due to same problem even with taping DS spokes. Fiance's bike was fine today as it seems to fit better than mine does.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Sep 9, 17 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: Use my wheel cover at WC in Chattanooga or not [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the cover weighs more than the carbon used to make the wheel. This is anecdotal, so sorry if I'm wrong, but I've heard a covered Flo 90 is lighter than a covered Flo 60 for this reason. Not sure if it's exactly the same but in the end I doubt you really save anything significant.
Quote Reply
Re: Use my wheel cover at WC in Chattanooga or not [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tape held, no rub. I have a lightweight Raltech carbon cover on my 404. I imagine that combo weighs less than a disc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are only losing watts when you are coasting...and you shouldn't be coasting in your 28.
Quote Reply