Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upgrading my bike
Quote | Reply
In case the picture doesn't show here's a link:

http://www.pinkbike.com/...iew&image=164400

Zipp frame (Large frame, smal beam) Custom Pearl White.
Chris King Head Set
Mizuno carbon fork
Spinergy Rev X 26" Wheels
Zipp F and R Brakes
Flack Jacket Wires
Chinelli stem
3T bar
Syntace C2 Clip on M
Campa Ergopower Chorus
Campa Chorus Front Mech
Campa Veloce rear Mech
Campa Chorus Cranks
Look 5.1 pedals
Campa BB
Seat
Campa Chorus 9spd Casette
9spd chain

What I am looking for is your suggestions when it comes to upgrading different parts. I was thinking about a combination of Campa Record and Dura Ace because I have a thing for carbon but have been informed that the Dura Ace cranks and BB Box is of better quality.
Please give me your 2, 5 or 10 cents regarding any part; wheels, pedals, aero bars...Thanks a bunch :)

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading my bike [Hobbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woops, I'm drooling on my keyboard........

-It's not how fast you are, it's how fast you look

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your photo

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Last edited by: Hid: Mar 2, 04 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading my bike [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Hid!

I got an error when I tried to post it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hobbes, how do you like your spinergy wheels? I don't know much about wheels but keep on seeing these on ebay at a good price. Was thinking of picking them up for race wheels for my Cervelo

Jim

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a lot of contraversy regarding the Spinergy rev X wheels. There have been several reported cases of the spokes breaking resulting in some very bad injuries. Personally, I'd replace them ASAP with a disc rear and a tri spoke front since this is the fastest combo. Might also replace the bull horn/aerobars with a one piece unit as they are more aero and will save you some time.

At a quick clance those are the only performance enhancements that I can see. Changing the things you have mentioned won't make the bike any faster.

There was a website documenting the problems with your wheels but I can't find it at the moment. Here's a comment on them from an expert wheel builder

http://yarchive.net/bike/spinergy.html
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading my bike [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hobbes, how do you like your spinergy wheels? I don't know much about wheels but keep on seeing these on ebay at a good price. Was thinking of picking them up for race wheels for my Cervelo

Jim

Hi Jim

The Spinergy wheels are nice, very nice and worth every penny!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off- damn nice bike, dude!

That said, I'm assuming that you're looking to upgrade for increased speed. I'll go out on a limb here and say that any hardware upgrade over what you already have will be of minimal impact to time. However, judging solely by this picture I'm assuming that you could make a significant improvement in aerodynamics by removing some of those stem spacers and dropping the bars. It looks like your current setup has the armrests more or less at the same height as the saddle (maybe an inch lower?) This is a pretty upright position with a pretty large frontal area. I think that dropping the front end to get a drop in the range that Dan indicates in his formula will net you waaaaay more speed than any of the upgrades you're talking about.

Now, if you're just looking to upgrade for the hell of it, that's a whole different story ;-) In that case I'd go with the Hed aerobars, Renn disk and trispoke for the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading my bike [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A SUPER NICE BIKE !!!

I just love the ZIPPs

hoep
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading my bike [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is a lot of contraversy regarding the Spinergy rev X wheels. There have been several reported cases of the spokes breaking resulting in some very bad injuries. Personally, I'd replace them ASAP with a disc rear and a tri spoke front since this is the fastest combo. Might also replace the bull horn/aerobars with a one piece unit as they are more aero and will save you some time.

At a quick clance those are the only performance enhancements that I can see. Changing the things you have mentioned won't make the bike any faster.

There was a website documenting the problems with your wheels but I can't find it at the moment. Here's a comment on them from an expert wheel builder

http://yarchive.net/bike/spinergy.html

Hi Cervelo

I've read most of what has been said about the rev X and it sounds interesting enough but then again I'm not convinced that they are as dangerous as they are made out to be. I know a few people who have been riding them and never had problems and I'm sure the wheels don't break left and right. I guess I would be more concerned if I had experienced such a disaster personally; but you might be right.

I am looking for upgrades to increase speed but also just "for the Hell of it", so I'll take all the advice I can get from you all and really appreciate it. New Wheels have been noted and I was thinking about the disc/tri-spoke combination as you mentioned. The aero bar I would like the most is the Profile Carbon X; very nice.

I'll see if I can't get a lower/faster and still comfy position by removing spacers that sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for everything so far, please throw in a few more cents...if you like :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope nope nope. That simply will not do. I suggest you start over completely. I'll give you a hand by taking that POS off your hands, no charge to you ;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading my bike [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nope nope nope. That simply will not do. I suggest you start over completely. I'll give you a hand by taking that POS off your hands, no charge to you ;-)
Such a generous offer :-P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I said, it's contraversal. I know a guy who's rode on them for years without problems but these wheels were discussed here previously and someone posted that he had a pair break on him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I'm a generous guy!

Seriously, the only thing I would change is to switch to a bullhorn style base bar, Tektro brake levers, and bar end shifters. That may or may not be a benefit to you, depending on the courses you ride, but normally it is a benefit to have the shifters as close to your hands as possible.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading my bike [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually if you look at the photo, the bike is not level. If you level it out it looks like the bars are about 4 inches below the saddle.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than taking it in for a fitting to ensure that your position is good there is not much to upgrade. I used to have a Rev X rear wheel and upgraded to a Hed Deep. I think that a nice Hed Trispoke set would look great on that ride. I've always loved the looks of the Zipp bikes and the brakes are super high on the cool factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading my bike [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch. It does look better when I tip my laptop to make the picture "level". Still looks like a ton of spacers though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sick dude, just sick. The spacers under your base bar has already been addressed, so I'll go with my usual plug (engine first) and then tack on a few frills.

Start with an SRM Pro Power Meter. Given that you're considering Record carbon cranks, I'm guessing that you ain't hurtin' for bling. But the feedback you'll get from the power meter will make you much faster than any bolt-on upgrade.

Why no disc in the rear? Renn will give you the best bang for buck, but there are a lot of other sexy choices if you've got mad cash to throw around (Corima, Bontranger, Campy...)

Same deal for the front - Spinergy makes a nice wheel, but I'm guessing those are vintage. Replace the front with a Hed3.

Is there a reason for running STI instead of bar-end shifters? Not having to get out of the aero bars to shift will save you time.

Other than that, it looks awesome. (I didn't even know Mizuno make forks?)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading my bike [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... Cerveloguy...

you said, "There have been several report cases of spokes breaking ..." I'm not sure you can quantify the term "several".

I have to disagree... not that there are failures... but, that there are more with Rev-X's than other high performance wheels of simular design/makeup.

There is a lot of good information... but, there is a lot very misleading information (including a few websights that appear to be accurate and informative in nature). It's difficult to say which is which sometimes. But, (IMHO) I am not convinced the Rev-X's are as problematice as some think.

FWIW Joe "the Rev-X horse gets beat again" Moya

BTW, nice bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh, how do you stop that thing? It appears the bars are sawed off drop bars? I'd probably replace the base bar with a flat cowhorn style bar (profile, syntace, etc) and replace the STI levers with some good reverse pull brake levers and bar end shifters mounted on ends of the aerobars. Or, as previously suggested, a really nice one piece base bar/aero bar combo.

Other than that, pretty sweet bike. I, too, ride spinergys and love them.

- Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading my bike [kvelarde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Uh, how do you stop that thing? It appears the bars are sawed off drop bars? I'd probably replace the base bar with a flat cowhorn style bar (profile, syntace, etc) and replace the STI levers with some good reverse pull brake levers and bar end shifters mounted on ends of the aerobars. Or, as previously suggested, a really nice one piece base bar/aero bar combo.

Other than that, pretty sweet bike. I, too, ride spinergys and love them.

- Ken It is actually not a problem braking with that kind of setup. And when you hold on the bares you can have you hands on the ergopower grips, which is more comfortable than using a bull horn bar, I think.
Quote Reply