Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upgrade Road Bike
Quote | Reply
I have two bikes currently, one is a second hand lemond buenos aires with ultegra 9-speed and the other is a speed concept. Most of my specific training for tri is on the tri bike which has a power meter. Lately however I've been doing more rides outside on the roadie and save my tri bike for trainer use or when I need to hit specific power zones.

This brings up my question, should I invest in a power meter for the roadie (probably a powertap hub) or upgrade the components to shimano 105 5800 as I have a spare set of 11 speend wheels on hand. I know the power meter would make better sense for training but the old components are showing wear, especially aesthetically, and I feel I would enjoy the ride more with better components.

I'd like to add that I've had just a tri bike for the last 4 years and just recently got a road bike for more usability.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade Road Bike [tridude93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Both?

Power meter is going to be more beneficial training wise. I would do that first, then worry about going to 105. Shimano stuff is dirt cheap right now as they have flooded the hell out of the market. Also 105 stuff is often taken off of new bikes then sold cheap. If you take your time I bet you could piece together a 105 group for $200 or less with used or almost new parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went through a similar exercise. My tri bike is 10sp, road was 9. Updated the shifters, der and got an extra cassette to Ultegra 10 speed so now if I want to ride my road bike with power I can just swap wheels. Also makes it easy to keep a trainer tire on a wheel all the time if you want to. I think I spent around $250-275 (biggest expense was the shifters) but then turned around and sold the 9 speed gear on craigslist for about $150. That made the cost outlay pretty easy to sell to the wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5800 complete group is 399.99 online right now. I shopped and shopped best I could find was 340.00 complete slightly used.

Only draw back is the complete group doesn't come with cables.

But that's a complete group. Brakes, crank, shifters, chain, the whole deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade Road Bike [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bq2001 wrote:
I just went through a similar exercise. My tri bike is 10sp, road was 9. Updated the shifters, der and got an extra cassette to Ultegra 10 speed so now if I want to ride my road bike with power I can just swap wheels. Also makes it easy to keep a trainer tire on a wheel all the time if you want to. I think I spent around $250-275 (biggest expense was the shifters) but then turned around and sold the 9 speed gear on craigslist for about $150. That made the cost outlay pretty easy to sell to the wife.

Am thinking about a similar path for my road bike. I have a wired power tap on both road and tri bike.

1) upgrade to 10 speed shifters, chain and cassette.
2) upgrade to 11 speed and lose power meter.
3) buy new road bike.

I go back and forth on cheapest route vs new bike lust.
Quote Reply