Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Update on my ANT+ videogame with PICS
Quote | Reply
Hey all, I've posted about my ANT+ 3D video game hobby project several times on here since 2010 ( http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ew_flat;post=3880939 ) and recently quit my job to actually devote my full time to it. Will the fall/winter trainer season coming up on us I figured it was time to post an update. For full disclosure, I've now ended up forming a company with a few other guys who were going for a similar idea. I've spent 15 years in the video game industry working on graphics tech for XBox/Playstation/Nintendo games over the years, and finally figured out how to combine that passion with cycling and *hopefully* making a living at it.

For me this all started back when I had to ride indoors due to family/time constraints, but was too cheap to buy a powermeter to do it properly so I started to write training software for myself to do the simple "virtual power" conversion and show me numbers realtime while dumping all the data to a standard fit file for WKO+/Strava. Eventually that simple software evolved into what it is today, which is what I believe to be the most fun you can have on a trainer. I've seen much of what is out there pop up since I started development and I think it's great to have a multitude of choices, but nothing that's come out has been something I'd really want to use yet so I kept on plugging away at my own software.

The software works with the ANT+ devices you'd probably expect it to work with, as well as the computrainer (thanks Mark L!!) and supports ERG workouts on CT and KICKR. I also think I've improved on the standard equation most people use for virtual power to make a more compelling non-power meter experience for sprint efforts - something I'll elaborate on one day in the future. I've also made an attempt to have a fairly complete physics model being used in the simulation including Crr, CdA, riders mass, slope of the road, and density of the air and the drafting is modeled after what little whitepapers are out there regarding drafting shapes behind riders - and how far those draft areas go back. I'll probably even simulate wheel mass in there at some point just because I can ;) I'm a data nerd so I've tried to stay as accurate as possible throughout, however don't let that make you think the software isn't *fun*.

There will be a more official announcement about this stuff coming soon with loads of details, so in the meantime how about how about a screenshot or two.These are all in-game shots, taken live in the game (which uses my own 3D engine).

Last edited by: jmX: Sep 26, 14 3:44
Quote Reply
Re: Update on my ANT+ videogame with PICS [jmX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great! Keep posting updates, standing by for beta testers requests...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks interesting. I'm curious to hear more about how the gameplay is actually going to work and what options are available.

I do have a few questions. Are you planning on putting it out for PS/XBox or as a standalone thing on its own? Is it just riding or can you simulate races/TTs, etc? Do you have a license to use actual bikes/components? What kind of locations will there be to ride?

Thanks and good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feature idea..

Integrate with Kinect. Use the 3D profile of the player's body as an input to the drag co-efficient :)

That, and the player's avatar could roughly reflect what they're doing on the bike? It might be able to show the difference between being down on the aero bars, vs up on the horns??
Last edited by: ohhorob: Sep 25, 14 21:32
Quote Reply
Re: Update on my ANT+ videogame with PICS [ohhorob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
Looks interesting. I'm curious to hear more about how the gameplay is actually going to work and what options are available.

I do have a few questions. Are you planning on putting it out for PS/XBox or as a standalone thing on its own? Is it just riding or can you simulate races/TTs, etc? Do you have a license to use actual bikes/components? What kind of locations will there be to ride?

Thanks and good luck.

Cheers. For much of what you're asking I'll probably wait to talk about until we have something official. For now I just wanted to give SlowTwitch a bit of a update as to the how the project was going since I had a history of talking about it here.

ohhorob wrote:
Feature idea..

Integrate with Kinect. Use the 3D profile of the player's body as an input to the drag co-efficient :)

That, and the player's avatar could roughly reflect what they're doing on the bike? It might be able to show the difference between being down on the aero bars, vs up on the horns??

Indeed the kinect is cool, but it's expensive and nobody has it plugged into their computers. Probably not worth the time spent for such a select few. What I *do* do is figure out based on cadence, power, slope and speed what position makes the most sense and the rider will change between quite a few (and the cdA does change, thus adding an extra gameplay element to the mix).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks AWESOME. A few notes/questions:

-you might also consider including the Cycleops Powerbeam Pro in your ergometer support.
-what engine are you guys using? (edit: just saw it's your won... curious, why not use something like Unity?... or the Cryengine :)
-do you plan on supporting android/ios or are you just going win/osx?
-a cool feature would be to auto generate a course from a GPS file... but perhaps that would be a bit ambitious.
-you might consider including bike courses from some of the more prominent/iconic triathlons (Kona, Oceanside, Challenge Roth, St. Anthony's... maybe poll the forum members here)
-for ergometers, could you somehow have functionality where you could tell which leg is down and perhaps even get the rider to brake to the appropriate speed prior to the corner? If you don't have the correct leg down and brake to the proper speed perhaps you could penalize the rider by having their bike come to a complete stop and then have to re-accelerate to catch those they're riding against.
-look at some of the functionality in Trainer Road and perhaps try to replicate that with auto-generated courses to match prescribed workouts for certain goals. Instead of "green" the rider would have to stay with a virtual group.

Best of luck! Looking forward to this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. I worked on similar stuff for commercial fitness products several years ago (ala expresso bikes). Two suggestions, implement some functionality where you can see your 'ghost' from previous rides, also make a freeware ad-based version available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks awesome man.
What kind of hardware requirements are you looking at? My go to trainer computer is a low power netbook.
Quote Reply
Re: Update on my ANT+ videogame with PICS [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
This looks AWESOME. A few notes/questions:

-you might also consider including the Cycleops Powerbeam Pro in your ergometer support.
-what engine are you guys using? (edit: just saw it's your won... curious, why not use something like Unity?... or the Cryengine :)
-do you plan on supporting android/ios or are you just going win/osx?
-a cool feature would be to auto generate a course from a GPS file... but perhaps that would be a bit ambitious.
-you might consider including bike courses from some of the more prominent/iconic triathlons (Kona, Oceanside, Challenge Roth, St. Anthony's... maybe poll the forum members here)
-for ergometers, could you somehow have functionality where you could tell which leg is down and perhaps even get the rider to brake to the appropriate speed prior to the corner? If you don't have the correct leg down and brake to the proper speed perhaps you could penalize the rider by having their bike come to a complete stop and then have to re-accelerate to catch those they're riding against.
-look at some of the functionality in Trainer Road and perhaps try to replicate that with auto-generated courses to match prescribed workouts for certain goals. Instead of "green" the rider would have to stay with a virtual group.

Best of luck! Looking forward to this!

Powerbeam Pro sitting right here...I'm on it. Using my own engine because it's awesome, that's why! Seriously though, I'm an engine programmer by trade and I can make the exact engine required for my product. For indies who might make a totally different game every few months, Unity or Unreal is the way to go. I do like your game ideas and I've got similar items on the giant idea list here, it'll just be down to which ones actually end up being fun and what I/we have time for to implement.

I'll have to refrain from commenting on the other stuff for now but I'll be back to share more info soon.

dfroelich wrote:
It looks awesome man.
What kind of hardware requirements are you looking at? My go to trainer computer is a low power netbook.

Hey thanks. Unfortunately for 3d graphics of this sort you'll probably need something better than a netbook. It does run on low end machines like a Mac Mini from a few years ago, but netbooks are not designed for 3D. A cheap modern laptop will run it with reasonable graphics, and it'll scale up from there as your hardware gets better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great!

Have you worked with the Oculus Rift? I have always thought that would really elevate indoor training to the next level, using a first person view.
Quote Reply
Re: Update on my ANT+ videogame with PICS [Benno_Himself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benno_Himself wrote:
Looks great!

Have you worked with the Oculus Rift? I have always thought that would really elevate indoor training to the next level, using a first person view.

Indeed. I added Rift support the night I got my original devkit sometime last summer. It now has support for the latest kit with positional tracking. It's a trip to ride up next to another rider in the world - it really feels like they're right there.

This is a year old screenshot with the old graphics:

Last edited by: jmX: Sep 26, 14 3:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit this looks amazing. When can I buy it?

Suggestion from me - integrate RPG elements and an upgrade system. So you win a race, you get some £s, you can buy some new kit!!! Win some more money, pay for tunnel time, reduce your cda.

But either way (using best Dragon's Den voice) I'm in.

ETA: your market will widen considerably if it can work with virtual power, ala trainerroad etc.
ETA2: oh you already did that ! ;-)
Last edited by: knighty76: Sep 26, 14 3:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG!

By combining my 2 addictions together, you are going to destroy my life and/or my legs... my wife already hates you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a mailing list or I can sign up for to receive updates?
Quote Reply
Re: Update on my ANT+ videogame with PICS [Aleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely interested as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome stuff! Looking forward to it. Please keep posting updates :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to it :-)

Though I guess I'll miss getting my beer money from TdG :-(

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Update on my ANT+ videogame with PICS [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff!

If price isn't too bad (similar to Sufferfest Videos...minus necessary Ant+ interface), I'd be interested.

I wonder if you could team up with Bestbikesplit, to get as many IM and 70.3 courses into that database.

I'd totally love to have Kona in there...since pre-riding that course isn't practical.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the kind of awesome product that makes suffering through a trainer workout not so bad. The only downside I could see is people working out TOO MUCH!

I love the concept & it brings the gamification of regular everyday activities to training. The ability to compete against others who have done the track before (a la Strava) or even live is fantastic.

I will be watching this one closely & when/if a beta program opens up, I will be glad to jump on board!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmX wrote:
. . . . however don't let that make you think the software isn't *fun*.

With Zwift ( http://www.bikerumor.com/...-to-indoor-trainers/), BKool ( http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...latform-updates.html ), Tour De Giro ( http://www.tourdegiro.com/ ), and Tacx (even though they are apparently very buggy), either out or coming out it looks to me like the "fun" part may the the distinguishing factor.

Clearly you are avoiding any specifics, but any hints on what will be the "fun" part?

Ideas: the ability to push over other riders, machine guns mounted on handlebars, random drunk drivers to avoid, alien lifeforms as road kill, etc.
Last edited by: wjc: Sep 26, 14 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trading first born for beta tester status! If nothing else because a kid would just get in the way of the more important things like this thing :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the pics, especially first one. How big is your world?
--------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmX wrote:
...What I *do* do is figure out based on cadence, power, slope and speed what position makes the most sense and the rider will change between quite a few (and the cdA does change, thus adding an extra gameplay element to the mix).

Being able to guess riding position is cool but I think it maybe be too prone to errors. Why not to use USB cam for that purpose? Some of my gaming friends are using it to track the direction they are looking at. So should not be a big problem to use it to track position on bike.
-----------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You hero! I can't wait to try this out. Let me know if you need any beta testers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next