Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Update and Deepest Thanks from Injured Triathlete in IMAZ 2014
Quote | Reply
Dearest friends/dedicated fellow athletes,

There are absolutely NO words to diligently describe how grateful I am for your giving heart, your loving gestures and your selfless acts of kindness that have been showered upon me since my challenging accident on November 16, 2014 at Ironman Arizona.

As a result of this accident, I was in the hospital with a traumatic brain injury and 2 breaks in my right clavicle, 7 fractured ribs on my right side and my body was covered in road rash. After 2+ weeks in the hospital, I was allowed to spend another 2 weeks at home in Phoenix with my family, with more physical, cognitive and speech therapy. I was then cleared to come home to Ohio and have since been only able to work part time, continue with physical therapy and "ease" myself back into training. It's a slow process and while my initial goal this spring was to run a Boston Qualifying marathon, that might not happen this year, but it'll still happen. Someday. I'm physically almost 100% but my fitness fell after being in the hospital for so long and being restricted on movement. Due to my traumatic brain injury, I struggle with fatigue later in the day and I'm told my full recovery on that end might take months. Sigh.

This accident changed my life forever and at times my mood shifts up and down depending on how I resolve all that happened that tragic day. My body is healing well and my emotions at times are still raw as I process all that happened and my thoughts/plans/heart as I gaze into the future. I’m definitely not the same person I was since that difficult day. Most times I see myself with a deeper gratitude and respect for life, and I approach each day as a true gift, recognizing that life is too short to be unhappy, no matter what my bank account says or my achievements in races or relationships. Other days I see this journey as one that is drawing on qualities of myself I have lacked for a long time: patience AND grace towards myself. Both are required of me and pushing myself to be calm and loving towards myself as I regain everything I lost…physically, mentally and emotionally.

When my medical team in Arizona gave me the green light to return home to Ohio, I stumbled upon this quote, which I still read and hold fast to my heart:

“No matter how hard the past, you can ALWAYS begin again.” –Buddha

Even when days are challenging for me and I remember a difficult series of personal events in 2014 leading up to Ironman Arizona and then the accident itself, I remain faithfully certain that I can and will begin again. I will get back to my athletic self once again; I will swim, bike and run once again with passion AND gratitude for being alive AND given a second chance at life. I will pursue my professional and relational future with joy and less fear-based worry. And it’ll be a great time.

So many of you gave selflessly for my wellbeing and it has literally kept me afloat. Almost all of what was fundraised for me has been used on medical bills so only working part time right now is challenging for me but I'll survive. From the bottom of my heart, YOU are the reason I can pay extreme medical bills…felt supported during the darkness, encouraged and loved when I only saw loneliness and defeat. YOU have given me hope and reason to push onward…. with pure bravery.

Much love and admiration to you all,
Amy Avery
"Iron Amy"

www.purebravery.com
ironamy.blogspot.com

"We only go around once.... there’s really no time to be afraid. So stop. Try something you've never tried. Teach it. Do it. Risk it." -Jon "Blazeman" Blais

Last edited by: IronAmy: Jan 29, 15 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: Update and Deepest Thanks from Injured Triathlete in IMAZ 2014 [IronAmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's so great to hear that you are recovering well! I know from reading the original thread you are an inspiration to many. Draw on those fantastic relationships during the tough times and you will come back stronger than ever!
Last edited by: badgertri: Jan 28, 15 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: Update and Deepest Thanks from Injured Triathlete in IMAZ 2014 [IronAmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recover well and get back on the road soon. The tri community are some of the strongest, bravest, more civilized and caring people.

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amy - Sounds like you have a great mental attitude so I would imagine that you will continue to improve your basic physical skills as well as your fitness. Great job on staying positive!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Eric

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go Amy! I raced IMAZ as well and was really sorry to hear about your accident, but happy to see you're bouncing back! Best of luck!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by stringcheese [ In reply to ]
Re: Update and Deepest Thanks from Injured Triathlete in IMAZ 2014 [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasn't trying to plug for athletes, just expressing how an accident can change our views on our future plans and what makes us happy. thanks for commenting :)
Quote Reply
Re: Update and Deepest Thanks from Injured Triathlete in IMAZ 2014 [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
You had me until the coaching plug.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronAmy wrote:

That's actually a quote by Jack Kornfield, and I don't believe that's even the whole quote (though don't "quote" me on that last part, lol). I don't know anything about you, and I'm truly glad you're okay which I gather since you're updating us, but given the "Buddha" quote that you "hold fast in your heart," would I be correct in assuming you're a "20-30-something" white girl?
Quote Reply
Re: Update and Deepest Thanks from Injured Triathlete in IMAZ 2014 [newtotri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw it and was given the quote from a friend. If it comes elsewhere, my apologies, but regardless, it's a good sentiment. And no, I"m in my mid 30's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
screw 'em for all the correcting and pointing out the little crap Amy. Good for you. I hope it goes well for you in recovering.
Quote Reply
Re: Update and Deepest Thanks from Injured Triathlete in IMAZ 2014 [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
griffeyfan04, you're a breath of fresh air! thanks for giving me some grace! geez......didn't know I'd be "graded" lol!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, some of the posts are just furthering the quote from threefire above: "The tri community are some of the strongest, bravest, more civilized and caring people." sheesh.

Good luck in your recovery...having a supportive team around, and a positive attitude helps a ton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very well written. Thanks for the update. Best wishes for a full recovery mentally, emotionally, and physically.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Update and Deepest Thanks from Injured Triathlete in IMAZ 2014 [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
griffeyfan04 wrote:
screw 'em for all the correcting and pointing out the little crap Amy. Good for you. I hope it goes well for you in recovering.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Update and Deepest Thanks from Injured Triathlete in IMAZ 2014 [newtotri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newtotri1 wrote:
IronAmy wrote:

That's actually a quote by Jack Kornfield, blah blah blah

I think that the Buddha might say that who said something is less important than that it was heard.

Amy, thank you for sharing your story. Best wishes on your continued recovery.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amy,

Good luck with the continued recovery from a fellow Buckeye. You're from the Cbus area right? Do you know the story of Steve Wartenberg? Another central Ohioan who is recovering well from a bad bike crash in Nov. '13 - http://www.dispatch.com/...bike-blog/index.html. His blog may provide some inspiration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch being Slowtwitch! I am surprised no one commented on your seat height yet. Glad to hear you are doing well and trying to attack recovery with a positive attitude. Just remember on any down days that you are entitled to them and its perfectly ok. Otherwise, keep fighting, recovering and seeing the silver - it's there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update, Amy! Glad to hear you're recovering well and there is a positive community around you.

Stay strong and keep making improvements each day! We look forward to seeing you out there racing again soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Update and Deepest Thanks from Injured Triathlete in IMAZ 2014 [EnduroPacksTeam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You had a traumatic brain injury. You need to give yourself TIME. Stop worrying about your next race, just stay healthy and stick with your therapy. Brain injuries can often take up to a year to show what level of recovery is possible. Sounds like you are on your way to full recovery. But you cannot rush it. If you try to, you can actually hurt yourself more.

You sure as hell will be back out there racing again. But only when your body is ready. I can't fathom how frustrating it is, but you'll get there. Best wishes on your recovery!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very glad to hear you're well on your way to a full recovery. Ignore the asshats on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMAZ last year and know your story - I'm so glad you're getting better - stay positive and be strong Cactus Buddy!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is good to hear your recovery is progressing.

Don't get discouraged with the head injury, those take time. My wife had a simple slip/fall on ice and was completely out of commission for a month. Then several more weeks of light brain activity and very low exercise. Don't rush it and listen to your doctors.

You'll get there. And now that you are recovering you should be able to appreciate the full Slowtwitch experience that you are seeing on this thread.

See you on the road.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply