Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unweighting the upperbody the harder you pedal
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know much about unweighting the upper body with the forces of pedalling does it mainly happen with a lot of power from hip extension along with a bit more seat setback?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SamYO [ In reply to ]
Re: Unweighting the upperbody the harder you pedal [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:
Does anyone know much about unweighting the upper body with the forces of pedalling does it mainly happen with a lot of power from hip extension along with a bit more seat setback?

In the road cycling world that I grew up in, and still participate in a lot, you adjust your seat position so that you can take your hands off the bars while pedaling and not move (much). You should be pedaling under load. Coasting or easy pedaling will not work. When you can do that then everything in about the right position. It is the first thing I check when someone complains that their hands are going numb on rides. It is almost always the solution.

On a TT bike I don't notice that affect. There isn't a lot of weight on my forearms to start with. I do notice that the weight on the saddle itself decreases during hard pedaling.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:

In my experience, there is more body/rear end unweighting with hard pedaling with a more forward seat position vs a more rear seat position.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the feeling of unweighting your upper body from the bike while riding hard (on the rivet) is from more core engagement. your upper body is fixed by your core so it kind of just "floats" in place. the more you engage your core the more power you can deliver through your legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Unweighting the upperbody the harder you pedal [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clempson wrote:
the feeling of unweighting your upper body from the bike while riding hard (on the rivet) is from more core engagement. your upper body is fixed by your core so it kind of just "floats" in place. the more you engage your core the more power you can deliver through your legs.

you cant sit on the rivit on an selle smp, I have unweighting sensation before, before I lost the bikefit. I dont think there should be core tension in riding either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:
Clempson wrote:

you cant sit on the rivit on an selle smp, I have unweighting sensation before, before I lost the bikefit. I dont think there should be core tension in riding either

There should be core engagement in all activities. It is required for proper power transfer. Without core engagement you would get zero unweight in of the upper body while riding.
Quote Reply