Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unrequited love: 5 years outside the US, should I reunite with my racing bike?
Quote | Reply
Still living outside of the United States in South America, I will finally be spending time at Christmas with family who have been warehousing my beloved 2007 Litespeed Saber (and Les Paul Goldtop). I’ve ridden thousands of miles on a road bike down here in the mountains on ‘roads’ you would hardly believe. But I now have relocated right next to the Andes Mountains in the flat and baking plains, having both alpine mountain climbs and endless flat roads available starting at low, oxygen rich elevation. Twelve months of outdoor riding and only sharing the roads with 6,000 petroleum trucks and 11+ UV Index.

Five years apart, and I still have ZERO bike envy of any other TT bike.

So, should I even open the box of my Litespeed Saber when I’m in the US, knowing that my lifestyle now would only allow me to race a Latin American Duathlon once a year? (No triathlons, as we share freshwasher lakes and rives with large serpentine and dragonlike creatures). If I look at the bike, I may be tempted to pay exorbitant airline fees to bring it down South. (Same goes for the electric guitar).

Anyone have this kind of unrequited love for a bicycle?
Quote Reply
Re: Unrequited love: 5 years outside the US, should I reunite with my racing bike? [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Les Paul can sit with you in the cabin. I'd definitely take that.
Quote Reply
Re: Unrequited love: 5 years outside the US, should I reunite with my racing bike? [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but the amplifier would be a bit of a stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: Unrequited love: 5 years outside the US, should I reunite with my racing bike? [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UPDATE: I SHOULD have opened up that bike box on the brief visits. Now, after 11 years and a permanent return to the USA, the Ti frame is still exquisite. But the headset, bottom bracket, and wheel hubs were devastated by eleven years of storage. They were all either completely seized up or inoperable from inner corrosion. The repairs took my beloved local bike mechanic, who only does high-end Italian bicycles (but he made an exception for my Litespeed Saber because he'd already restored my 2008 Bianchi)--it took him a month to get it operable. And the labor included the contracting of a third-party, some sort of Cold War alchemy by his "retired Russian engineer friend" [what?], to free the fork from the frame. And it worked.

New Conti GP5000 rubber for the pristinely restored Flashpoint 60 wheelset. New Fizik Transiro snub-nose saddle. New Vision Tech extension arm pads. And new Fizik bar tape (aircraft gray).

She's ready to fly again. I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning (or is it Soyuz rocket fuel?). And I still have ZERO bike envy for any other Tri/TT bicycle out there. Now that's velo love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have two newer road bikes, but I still ride and race a 2005 Litespeed Blade. Absolutely love the bike and will never let it go. Ever.
Quote Reply