Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unexpected ways Ironman has changed the way I tri
Quote | Reply
After over 10 years in the sport I finally did a full this year. Proudly crossing the line at IMMT has been the highlight of my racing! Just thought I'd share my thoughts and see if others have anything to share as well on what has changed when they've done a full.

1) Gatorade- I used to hate the stuff. Still not crazy about it... But since it was on course and I used it all year I got used to it. Can't so maybe it's not my favorite and never will be but it works and you can't argue with the price or giant size of the container! No reason that a triathlete can't switch to it or keep it in the rotation. Bonus, you can save money and find it almost anywhere on earth.

2) Vasaline- I was in need of chamois cream and didn't want to spend $18 on a tube of Chamois Butt'r so I took a risk and used petrolium jelly all year. Worked great! Didn't degrade or stain my shorts, and I even used it *gasp* on my wetsuit and nothing happened. It was like $3 for a huge tub that's still going. Wish I would have known that years ago... But popular opinion steered me away. Bonus, in addition to money saved you can leave a half used tub of vasaline out whenever company comes over and they'll get nervous...

3) Training/racing tires!- Here's the deal... I bought a pair of all arounds on Nashbar special (Michelin Pro4 but that doesn't matter) to replace the Vittoria Zaffarios that came on my bike. They honestly were really good tires until during training I had a pretty bad puncture that left a visible hole dead center of the tire all the way through the cords. Now, for shorter races I probably would have just went back to the Vittoria and took the tiny hit. But bigger races bigger time gap... After weighing a bunch of not so ideal options I went with a pair of race tires, and continue to beat on my Zaffarios. I did some hypothetical math, and this should actually SAVE money in the long run since training tires last so effing long.

Anyone else? Feel free to share.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Unexpected ways Ironman has changed the way I tri [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1- Yes. If you look at the nutrition information of a tub of Gatorade it's surprisingly close to expensive stuff skratch or cytomax. Not my favorite but probably not as bad as I once thought,either.

3- No reason to race on bad rubber. Only downside is you need to change tires every race or get a set of training wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the racing vs. training tires, are you saying you use "training" tires for the IM? I used to do this, until I did the research and switched to conti GP4000sii and latex tubes for my last IM. Definitely less watts to achieve the same speed and didn't have any flats during the race. Had butyl tubes as spares. Switched back to training tires/butyl tubes after the race.

I trained with gatorade for my last IM, hoping to live off the course, but my stomach just can't tolerate it and I ended up puking during the run. I'm also not so sure you can "train" your gut.

Vaseline is great, I try not to use any tri-specific product when there's an equal generic (not sport specific) product out there.

I did an IM after my first year in the sport, so not sure how much it's "changed" the way I tri, but I'll add a few tidbits I've learned as I've gone through several years of training:
1. Race-day wheels are a waste of money
2. Don't skimp on your flat-kit for race day
3. Buy a new pair of goggles for the race (only way to guarantee they won't fog)
4. Maintaining your drivetrain will save you in the long run
5. Pacing matters, stick with your training zones during training.
Quote Reply
Re: Unexpected ways Ironman has changed the way I tri [Consultri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems this is evolving into how IM made me a more frugal triathlete so I can still afford the race fees!

For goggle fogging...I just use the Adidas 3:1 body/face/hair shampoo I use after swimming...smear a little on...wash it off..no fog and cheap!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4) Can't wait to get this year's IM out of the way. I'm never doing another one again. Why? The 100 mile rides is why. Lots of people who like to ride may do one century every summer. Here I am doing them every weekend. It takes basically an entire weekend day away from me. And then I run 2 hours and swim 1+ hour the other day. I could be doing other things with my free time.

About two halfs each season from now on, and lots of sprints.
Quote Reply
Re: Unexpected ways Ironman has changed the way I tri [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
4) Can't wait to get this year's IM out of the way. I'm never doing another one again. Why? The 100 mile rides is why. Lots of people who like to ride may do one century every summer. Here I am doing them every weekend. It takes basically an entire weekend day away from me. And then I run 2 hours and swim 1+ hour the other day. I could be doing other things with my free time.

yep

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

1) Gatorade- I used to hate the stuff. Still not crazy about it... But since it was on course and I used it all year I got used to it. Can't so maybe it's not my favorite and never will be but it works and you can't argue with the price or giant size of the container! No reason that a triathlete can't switch to it or keep it in the rotation. Bonus, you can save money and find it almost anywhere on earth.

IMMT may be different since I remember reading something about that. But all of the Ironman's in the USA server Gatorade Endurance which is much different than standard gatorade. You can find standard gatorade everywhere. Gatorade endurance..... not so much.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert.. really? The commitment, sacrifice and dedication required through the long journey to Ironman is what makes it so rewarding. Like anything else in life, if you don't enjoy the journey ask yourself why you're doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"After over 10 years in the sport I finally did a full this year."

Any race that includes a swim/bike/run is a full triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
4)I could be doing other things with my free time.
Said every triathlete, ever. :D
Quote Reply
Re: Unexpected ways Ironman has changed the way I tri [Johnny21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnny21 wrote:
Dilbert.. really? The commitment, sacrifice and dedication required through the long journey to Ironman is what makes it so rewarding. Like anything else in life, if you don't enjoy the journey ask yourself why you're doing it.

He has asked himself that, and come to the conclusion that it isn't worth it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Why? The 100 mile rides is why. Lots of people who like to ride may do one century every summer. Here I am doing them every weekend.

It's not the 100 miles for me, it's doing it on a TT bike that takes the 'joy' out of cycling - head down, trying to maintain target power, neck and shoulders sore after each one (who actually rides rough public roads looking at the front tyre). I've got a Canyon Endurace SLX on its way, and I think that's going to massively increase my autumn cycling pleasure.

I always say that after Iron dist training, I can start riding for the pure fun of it again ;-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Unexpected ways Ironman has changed the way I tri [Consultri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Race Day wheels are a waste of money." Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean having an extra set of wheels or renting wheels for race day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a big fan of both gatorade and vaseline.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Unexpected ways Ironman has changed the way I tri [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent $150-$200 for the wheels, had an extra couple steps during check in, have to take your bike over to them, get them to switch out your cassette & brake pads, then take your bike to check-in, etc. Also, I had no idea how to change a flat or air up the disc, never used a valve extender or crack pipe. And i was worried my spares wouldn't fit if I flatted, so I ran around the day before the race trying to find spare tubes with extra long valve stems or removable valve cores. All that amounted to me being paranoid I would have a flat during the race, that I didn't focus on pacing/nutrition and just wanted to get off the bike.

Did my bike look fast in the photos, yes. But the wheels didn't help me have a better race. Now if you're close to qualifying and have optimized all the other stuff, go for it, you'll cut a few minutes off your IM time. But for me, I swore I would never do it again until I'm 'close' to qualifying. But at that point, i'll probably own a set of race wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

How many 100 miles rides are you doing during your training plan?
Quote Reply
Re: Unexpected ways Ironman has changed the way I tri [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No tears baby shampoo..$1

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you think they'd just magically swap themselves over to your bike? You didn't know how to use them so they're a waste of money?
Quote Reply