Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unequal Leg Strength, does it matter?
Quote | Reply

I have been using the Computrainer powermeter (the only powermeter I have at this time) for the last few months and I have noticed what I think is a significant difference in my leg strength. My right leg is producing about 70% of my power, the left leg about 30%. I have measured it a number of times over different courses and it stays about that percentage. Is this much difference something to be concerned about? Is there any thing that I can do to increase the strength of my left leg? I know that there are different opinions about this but with this much difference I am seeking input. Thanks.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Unequal Leg Strength, does it matter? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if you're using a stages PM.

Seriously, I'd look at the testing method. That seems like a discrepancy that would be noticed in other facets of life. Other than that, you can try some one legged squats to see if it truly is a muscular strength difference, or there is something in technique producing it.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Last edited by: Devlin: Jul 22, 14 15:19
Quote Reply
Re: Unequal Leg Strength, does it matter? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I KNEW that someone would reply with a Stages powermeter comment! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I KNEW that someone would reply with a Stages powermeter comment! Thanks!

Glad to oblige :)

Did you catch the rest, or just stop at the smartassery?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I have been using the Computrainer powermeter (the only powermeter I have at this time) for the last few months and I have noticed what I think is a significant difference in my leg strength. My right leg is producing about 70% of my power, the left leg about 30%. I have measured it a number of times over different courses and it stays about that percentage. Is this much difference something to be concerned about? Is there any thing that I can do to increase the strength of my left leg? I know that there are different opinions about this but with this much difference I am seeking input. Thanks.

30/70 is a massive difference between the two legs. more than twice the power of your left from your right. is there a major difference in functionality or musculature?
my spinscan indicates about 45/55 and that smooths out when really pumping.
what sort of efforts ore you doing when you have a 30/70 result?
is it any different for other workouts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may also have a slight leg length discrepancy and there may be an issue with bike fit.

Depending on how you were fit, alot of folks only look at one side. If your saddle is on the high side and you have a leg length discrepancy, it may show up as lopsided power.

Also check your cleats - one cleat may be offset from the other which might led to weird pedaling mechanics which could produce weird spin scan numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be coordination more than strength.
I would suggest that you do computrainer rides where you watch the left/right and you try to bring it even.
It will provide positive feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spinscan can't really measure your left / right power balance. It is a guess, and unless you have some known problem your power split is probably not really 70/30

spin scan is mostly just good for making people worry.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Unequal Leg Strength, does it matter? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I understand spinscan has a dubious reputation, but I do have such a split in power. And is doing it's job of making me worry, very well. What started all of this was looking in the mirror after a Computrainer workout and my right let is visably larger than my left, I measured with a tape and there was/is a differnce. I dont rember what the differnce was right now but I thought it signifigant. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Unequal Leg Strength, does it matter? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

No, I stopped at the smatassery! Yes, I did read the rest of your reply, thanks! And I have in the last 2 weeks started squats concentrating on using my left leg more than the right.

Quote Reply
Re: Unequal Leg Strength, does it matter? [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

No abnormalities than I can discern other than leg mass, right is larger than the left. I have started squats and also focusing on using the left leg more when spinning. Not sure if my low cadence 60 - 65 rpms may be the cause or not. Varius Computrainer courses, I like to climb! Spinning, endurance, grinding, I try to mix up the courses.

Quote Reply
Re: Unequal Leg Strength, does it matter? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That's exactly what I have started doing the last couple of weeks. Also, single leg spins (I know, the horror!) and I have noticed how week the left was at first, couldn't left leg only spin for 5 minutes, now up to 3 X 7 minutes each workout so I am getting there. Thanks.

Quote Reply