Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Under appreciated key to swim improvement
Quote | Reply
Do not put your swim off to the last workout of the day....
Quote Reply
Re: Under appreciated key to swim improvement [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true, I squeeze mine in at lunch during the work day, it really makes me look forward to it more than if I had to do it after work. Its kind of like bad food floating around the office, I probably wouldn't eat it if I wasn't at work...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost did that today thanks to one too many drinks last night. Fortunately, I got poked in the ribs at 6 by my ever so responsible fiance.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Early morning and lunch are the only times for swimming during the work week. It would never happen at night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me (and probably many) it's volume. May seem obvious, but so many triathletes aren't great swimmers and try the less is more approach - doesn't translate to good results unless you have a swim background.

Here's my recent example: From October to February I swam once a week - sometimes none if it didn't work with the family (2nd child was born in September). Over that time frame my time for faster 100's dropped by 6-7 seconds. Starting in March I added in a weekend swim before my long run on Sunday morning. By mid April I had gained back around 3 seconds by doing 2x swims a week. During our school spring break last week we traveled, and our time share had a 20m pool that I swam in every morning. After getting in nearly 16k yards in the week, yesterday I was only 1-2 seconds off my faster 100 time from last summer. Upping the yards and having a higher volume week kicked things into gear. Just my personal experience, and I'm sure getting in a third swim would probably get me back to the times I was seeing last season.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Apr 28, 17 8:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always swam first thing of the day. I tried later in the day but never felt right, plus if I had run, no matter how many hours earlier, my feet cramp.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure everything isn't at a comfortable pace. Get outside your comfort zone. Make sure you crush a bunch of 50's or 100's at all out shoulder burning speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race pace work in the pool is more important than getting in lots of OWS.

I only make a big effort to train OW if there is a specific challenge like really cold water.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

Because?

I almost always end up swimming at 9pm because that's the only time available. Is there something I should be looking out for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flip turns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't agree more.

Making sure the swim workout is a high quality session helps to focus on technique while also getting in the volume, just cranking out laps when you're not "focused" won't help drive the pace down.

I got back in the water in February after a long break and made the swim the first workout of the day for 3-4 swims per week. I've since gotten my pace down from 2:00/100 to 1:40/100. It was tough to force myself to get up early and go to the pool and dive into the cold water, but someone's signature line stuck with me: "Chlorine is the breakfast of champions"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three days a week, which one was today, I swim for 1 hour from 5:30 to 6:30. I then spin the trainer for 90 minutes from 7 to 8:30.
I then run a brick for 30 minutes, 10 at 6:30 pace (try), and then 20 for 7:30 pace. (These 30 minutes come from doing the 100/100
and seem to be helping with my running speed.)

I also never run on strong legs. Meaning, I always run after a 90 minute trainer bike ride. Since one races on tired legs, why not train like that?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Under appreciated key to swim improvement [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because your form deteriorates and you end up with a slew of junk sessions "for the sake of the sport."

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm...for me the opposite...I had a far better quality swim in the evening than in the morning. No matter how well I warm up, I'm 1-3 seconds faster/100 in the evening
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 28, 17 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Under appreciated key to swim improvement [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Hmmmm...for me the opposite...I had a far better quality swim in the evening than in the morning. No matter how well I warm up, I'm 1-3 seconds faster/100 in the evening

I am slightly faster in the evenings, too. I just am not good at working out if I haven't been up for a couple hours. Mentally, I wake up quickly, but physically is a different matter. Besides, at 6 AM, the pool is really crowded. Last night I had my own lane.
Quote Reply
Re: Under appreciated key to swim improvement [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
Because your form deteriorates and you end up with a slew of junk sessions "for the sake of the sport."
+1
One should have QUALITY sessions in each of the disciplines each week.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, mixing in some easy relaxing swims is beneficial.
Quote Reply
Re: Under appreciated key to swim improvement [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:

Yep, that is your opinion.

The biggest thing I see most athletes lacking is not this issue. I just see most of them not getting in enough exercise time.
So, IMO, slew of junk sessions is better than no sessions.

Plus, I like to train as close to how I race as possible. I continue to wonder why if how I train is so so bad, why do I do so well
and everyone does not beat me. There are more than 1 way to skin a cat. This is why I would never use a coach. 99% of them
do not fit what they suggest into what works out best for most folks. And since for every AGer this sport is just a hobby, it needs to be
fun and fit into ones life properly.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The appropriately sized Strokemaker paddles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FLIP TURNS

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Under appreciated key to swim improvement [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Head position and stability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim is the first leg in a triathlon. Why would you start a race with tired arms?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
consistency

hard work.

(i always make the swim the last workout of the day, but it's also the first. :-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Three days a week, which one was today, I swim for 1 hour from 5:30 to 6:30. I then spin the trainer for 90 minutes from 7 to 8:30.
I then run a brick for 30 minutes, 10 at 6:30 pace (try), and then 20 for 7:30 pace. (These 30 minutes come from doing the 100/100
and seem to be helping with my running speed.)

I also never run on strong legs. Meaning, I always run after a 90 minute trainer bike ride. Since one races on tired legs, why not train like that?

Good job. I wish I didn't have a full time job and other commitments!

Justin Levy
415 517 7836
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

I'm able to put it off much better than that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next