Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Umeke Bowl Recipe: Make a List (F25-29 reflection)
Quote | Reply

I know many triathletes come to Slowtwitch seeking counsel on how to make their dreams of qualifying for Kona come true. I have read many of these threads at one point or another, because who doesn’t love to read about the trial and tribulations and the ultimate success story of a triathlete seeking to KQ. It is moving and inspirational, as the experiences and emotions which that triathlete goes through are relatable and almost universal in our sport. With the 2014 Ironman Championships in the rearview mirror and the 2015 Kona Qualifying campaign is in full swing, I wanted to share in-brief the story of my road to Kona in hopes that it may stir-up similar emotions and inspire others along their journey.

My quest began Thanksgiving 2013, when I decided I would take one shot to qualify by winning my age group at Eagleman 70.3. At the time, I was in the midst of my surgery rotation as a third year medical student and with residency less than two years away this would likely be my last chance to make the trip to the Big Island for an indefinite period of time. I signed-up for the race, but put training on hold for several more months of demanding rotations on the hospital wards.

My structured training began early February, but before I logged a single workout I wrote down my season goals on a blank index card and tucked them away for future reference. Then day after day, week after week, and month after month I did the work. 8 hour weeks became 12 hours weeks, then 16 hours up to 18 hours of training a week. I was training more than I ever had in the time afforded to me by less intensive outpatient rotations. Things didn’t go perfectly, but I did what I needed to, so that at the end of the day I could say I had done my very best.

On June 8, 2014 I crossed my first goal Win AG at Eagleman=>KQ off of my list. I continued down the five-item list, ticking off the first three and putting an asterisk next to the fourth as a mechanical at the 70.3 World Championships took me out of the race and I was not able to defend my title. My fifth and final goal was Podium at Kona. This was my shoot for the moon goal, the goal that I felt was a longshot, but not impossible. Being my first Ironman, I had no expectations but was confident in both my physical and mental preparation for the race. Come race day I was in the best shape of my life, I was ready to go, and I executed according to plan. My performance earned me fourth place in F25-29 and a spot on the podium, which was unexpected but well-earned.

While talent and luck play their part in the outcome of a race, there is no substitute for setting goals, writing them down, and purposefully working towards them each and every day.

Good luck to all who are racing at IMFL and IMAZ, I look forward to reading about more Kona dreams coming true. You can read more about my story and my Kona race report on my website.

Emily Sherrard
@EmSher1