Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ui2 issues at IMLP
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever had their ui2 system completely fail? I made sure to charge the battery Thursday night and get a ride in on Friday to make sure there would be no issues during the race. I had a great swim and came out just under my predicted time of 54. Coming out of T1 the rain was coming down in buckets and the thought never crossed my mind that the ui2 system would fail. I would say it was raining hard for the better part of my first 2.5 hrs on the bike and after that it cleared up and the roads actually were drying out. On my second loop right before the turnaround at Ausable Forks my shifters completely stopped working. After a mile of self debate I get off my bike pull the battery notice it's wet inside the compartment,attempt to wipe it off reconnect the battery and I was off. It worked. So I had only lost 30 seconds no big deal.
A mile down the road right at the turn around no more shifters. I'm in the big ring and the middle of my cassette. I push and hold the adjustment button and nothing no sign of power. I try this a couple more times nothing. I ride into jay and stop right before the right hand turn pull the battery wipe everything dry but it appeared to be just as wet as it was the first time. Put the battery back hopped on and nothing. I rode another ten miles or so when I was able to flag down tech support. Tech support did exactly what I had done the two previous times and nothing. I asked them to drop me into the small ring as it it pretty much all uphill from there on out. I have to be honest and say that I thought my day was over for the goals I had set. The gear I was stuck in wasn't to bad for climbing but for anything flat or downhills it was useless. Bike ended up at 5:20 which was not what I was hoping for but realized that I had to deal with the race I was having not the race I could have had. Really happy I was able to run my way back into the race and secure a spot to kona.
Mechanical issues suck no matter what and I know it happens to everyone at some point. Just sucks when it's not something you can fix and move on. I would think this is something that doesn't happen often as shimano would test under all conditions. Back home today and taking the bike to the shop and get it sorted out.

Bryn Mawr Running Company
Quote Reply
Re: Ui2 issues at IMLP [mwcoleman1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the first generation Shimano Di2 (7900) system that was, apparently prone to water issues but I have never had any and been out in some horrid conditions including LP this year. I had some concerns about weather before going with the Di2 but in talking to Shimano they DO test the system in all sorts of conditions.

The key I have found is to use a shop that knows what they are doing with the electronic system. Unfortunately this winter I had a tune-up done by a local shop without much experience and they broke something in mine. I suspect they hooked the power cable to the rear derailleur when taking the rear wheel off. I was having issues with premature battery drain (but not like you had) until I had a different shop replace the wiring harness. Unfortunately the original system can not be very easily diagnosed. The second generation CAN be. which I suspect you have since the first generation wasn't available for Ultegra on a TT/Tri bike. They should be able to quickly diagnose it.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bike are you riding, and where is the battery located?

I have always wondered if this would be more of a problem for bikes like the Speed Concept with the battery under the bottom bracket.

Maybe this is a good reason to switch to a seat post battery? I have the internal battery on my road bike and it has been out in some seriously nasty conditions with no problems.
Last edited by: MattAune: Jul 31, 14 5:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing buddy of mine had Di2 and his went out on last lap of IMTahoe. Thought it was his battery too even though it was totally charged up. Ended up having to send into Shimano, said there was a short or something in the system that was sucking all the juice out of the battery. They had to replaced the system.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ui2 issues at IMLP [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a 2013 shiv pro. Battery is mounted on the bottom of the non drive side chain stay. So very exposed.

Quote Reply
Re: Ui2 issues at IMLP [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard of one other person with wet/rain related issues with Di2. They have a brand new 2014 Speed Concept 9 series.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know Shimano's opinion on using Di-Electric grease on the connectors to get a more water tolerant connection?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwcoleman1980 wrote:
Its a 2013 shiv pro. Battery is mounted on the bottom of the non drive side chain stay. So very exposed.

That is where mine is as well. I'm not sure that by itself would be an issue. I have dragged mine through some pretty miserable conditions.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:

I have always wondered if this would be more of a problem for bikes like the Speed Concept with the battery under the bottom bracket.

Maybe this is a good reason to switch to a seat post battery? I have the internal battery on my road bike and it has been out in some seriously nasty conditions with no problems.

Same here. I have had my bike on the rack through a few 4 hour full on downpour soaking wet car rides. I was scared as hell that it was going to have a problem. My battery is in the seat tube, below my seatpost. Also got caught out for 10 miles or so this past weekend in a full on downpour, no problems.

I have hooked my RD cable on my trainer as I removed it as well... Damn, now I'm paranoid that I've done something to damage the connector. Wonder if there's anyway to "waterproof" the RD/FD Etube cables.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwcoleman1980 wrote:
Has anyone ever had their ui2 system completely fail? I made sure to charge the battery Thursday night and get a ride in on Friday to make sure there would be no issues during the race. I had a great swim and came out just under my predicted time of 54. Coming out of T1 the rain was coming down in buckets and the thought never crossed my mind that the ui2 system would fail. I would say it was raining hard for the better part of my first 2.5 hrs on the bike and after that it cleared up and the roads actually were drying out. On my second loop right before the turnaround at Ausable Forks my shifters completely stopped working. After a mile of self debate I get off my bike pull the battery notice it's wet inside the compartment,attempt to wipe it off reconnect the battery and I was off. It worked. So I had only lost 30 seconds no big deal.
A mile down the road right at the turn around no more shifters. I'm in the big ring and the middle of my cassette. I push and hold the adjustment button and nothing no sign of power. I try this a couple more times nothing. I ride into jay and stop right before the right hand turn pull the battery wipe everything dry but it appeared to be just as wet as it was the first time. Put the battery back hopped on and nothing. I rode another ten miles or so when I was able to flag down tech support. Tech support did exactly what I had done the two previous times and nothing. I asked them to drop me into the small ring as it it pretty much all uphill from there on out. I have to be honest and say that I thought my day was over for the goals I had set. The gear I was stuck in wasn't to bad for climbing but for anything flat or downhills it was useless. Bike ended up at 5:20 which was not what I was hoping for but realized that I had to deal with the race I was having not the race I could have had. Really happy I was able to run my way back into the race and secure a spot to kona.
Mechanical issues suck no matter what and I know it happens to everyone at some point. Just sucks when it's not something you can fix and move on. I would think this is something that doesn't happen often as shimano would test under all conditions. Back home today and taking the bike to the shop and get it sorted out.

Pretty amazing to still ride 5:20 and also KQ - nice work!!!

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:

The new SC has the battery in the seat post. Much better than under the BB with the Gen 1 SC.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ui2 issues at IMLP [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Thomas! Really pleased with the race other than the mechanical. Definitely left it all out there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sounds like you were forced to dial back the bike and then you were able to unleash the run to KQ. Seems like it all worked out in your favor. I I wish I had those kind of problems. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwcoleman1980 wrote:
Really pleased with the race other than the mechanical.

Wouldn't that be an 'electrical'? Smile

mwcoleman1980 wrote:
Has anyone ever had their ui2 system completely fail?

While obviously no system is full proof, I have raced cyclocross on Di2 equipped bikes with internal seat post batteries in miserable conditions from solid/heavy downpour to deep, soup-like mud and the only issues I ever encountered where of my own doing. Prime example was not using the wire tool to insert connectors resulting in no shifting during practice laps because the cable connector for the rear derailleur was not completely seated. Since cross racers typically race on the hoods, with my fingers wrapped around the shift lever hoods, I had put enough tension on the tape over the wire that it pulled almost out of the indentation where it connects. That said, while I know it has become common, there is no such thing as Ui2. The 'Di' in 'Di2 stands for Digital Integration, and besides, Shimano 6770, 7970, 6870, 9070 is much more concise and helps narrows things down when trying to find answers to Di2 component issues.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Aug 1, 14 6:45
Quote Reply