Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Uberman - catalina channel swim, then bike to Death Valley and run badwater
Quote | Reply
Just saw this today. Holy shit

http://www.uberman1.com/#our-story-1
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - catalina channel swim, then bike to Death Valley and run badwater [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone I know who has swum Catalina would only be described in the of kindest terms as podgy. Not too many ultra runners carry that weight. Guess you'd drop a few of the excess pounds on the bike leg though.

In reality, without a wetsuit it would be pretty difficult to train for, trying to maintain an appropriate level of body fat for Catalina while logging the cycle and run miles.

Yes, wetsuit swim for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - catalina channel swim, then bike to Death Valley and run badwater [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard about this a while back in the news. I thought they already raced one of these last year? Anyway, three body types sure makes it a lot easier (if it can be called easier?).

http://www.vcstar.com/...ugh-county/88689816/

Regardless, this is... interesting.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think why the hell would you do that....then think of the early Everest climbers....

....because it's there...

Good luck to all those crazies attempting that! Chapeau!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a good one. Relay makes sense, because any one of these events is a career-topper.

I'm not aware of controls over swimming the channel from Catalina, or biking from the coast to Badwater. Those can be done by anybody with the training and support on the public waters and roads.

But putting on a race in Death Valley is another critter. Don't anybody put your money down until you see the National Parks Service permit to run through Death Valley. That's gonna be hard to do under the radar, and with, really, only one road through there, an under-the-radar Badwater is not in the cards.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - catalina channel swim, then bike to Death Valley and run badwater [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to put your money down, it is free to enter. As noted, they did it last year so it has already been done.

Looking at their results page, one solo (just shy of 8 days) and one relay (about 4 and a half days) finished.
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - catalina channel swim, then bike to Death Valley and run badwater [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah perhaps there's no real problem if it's just some random person running on the road but the Badwater Race had to be changed a few years back due to the problem with park service and Death Valley although from the webpage it looks like its back to the original course. Either way that's an amazing mind-blowing prospect of grouping them all together.

I thought I was planning something significant with a simple short 200 mile multi-day ultra but this is beyond...just WOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya I saw that race last year. And to do Catalina you have to get a permit and have a sizable crew with officials. It is not horrible, but it costs about $4k minimum I would say. And lot of guys I know who have done it could do this kind of race as they were ex Ironman guys. I crewed for a guy that did the channel on a bad night in 10 hours, could probably do the 508 in a little over 30 hours, and finish badwater( he was a 30 minute 10k runner) Couple other AG guys would be in the same ball park, just a bit slower.

Hell there is that gal Haley I think it is, probably do an 8+ hour channel crossing and then be huge on the other two events, as they would lend themselves to smaller endurance people.
Quote Reply