Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil
Quote | Reply
On pace for a new ironman world record.....second place over 20 minutes back. He biked 4:06.
Last edited by: Tricoastal: May 28, 17 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Tricoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some great biking there, hope he saved some

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
44 swim, 4:06 bike. not including transitions, Don would only need a 2:54 run to take down Sanders's record! wow

and a 2:45 for Frodeno's record

OK, course legit?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: May 28, 17 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, course legit? //

I will say with 95% confidence that the answer is no. First of all Tim Don is a very good triathlon pro, uber biker, uh no. That is a term that few are deserving of, I can only think of about a dozen or so going way back to the beginning.

I will begin my list, others can add or amend as they see the term used; (and I will of course give my blessing, or not.. (-;

Lionel Sanders
Sebastain Keinle
Starky
Cameron Dye
Bjorn Anderson
Marino Van Honniker
Norman Stadler
Chris Leito
Torbjorn Sinballe
Steve Larsen
Craig Walton
JurgenZack
Thomas Helleriegal
Mike Pigg
John Howard

Last edited by: monty: May 29, 17 10:11
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many times down Don have to bike close to 2 in 70.3's and close to 4 in iron distance races until you'll grant him access to that club? Or, do we accuse him of drafting the moto every time he cranks out an amazing bike time? Or, does it only count if it's Hawaii? Or, should he have scrapped Brazil and put everything on the line at St. George to gain entry into that club?

monty wrote:
OK, course legit? //

I will say with 95% confidence that the answer is no. First of all Tim Don is a very good triathlon pro, uber biker, uh no. That is a term that few are deserving of, I can only think of about a dozen or so going way back to the beginning.

I will begin my list, others can add or amend as they see the term used; (and I will of course give my blessing, or not.. (-;

Lionel Sanders
Bjorn Anderson
Norman Stadler
Chris Leito
JurgenZack
Thomas Helleriegal
John Howard

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
44 swim, 4:06 bike. not including transitions, Don would only need a 2:54 run to take down Sanders's record! wow

and a 2:45 for Frodeno's record

OK, course legit?
Crazy he's on 2:36 pace

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From ironman.com

"Tim Don has now gone through 13k running a pace of 5:59 per mile. If he holds up this pace he's literally going to break every record in the books today!"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
From ironman.com

"Tim Don has now gone through 13k running a pace of 5:59 per mile. If he holds up this pace he's literally going to break every record in the books today!"

unless those measured km's for that 13k split are also short

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITs not always the time that matters, courses are not always accurate. An uber biker is the dude that shows up when there is a huge field, tons of great bikers, and rides off the front of them all. Tim Don is not that guy. When a dozen guys broke 2 hours in clearwater one year(fast and accurate course) they of course had the benefit of a huge semi legal draft pack. There were some really great bikers in that group too, including Michael Ralert. But guess what, one guy rode away early from that group and went 1;58, that is your uber biker. Tim sits in that group(as he should) because that is as fast as he can go.

The problem now is that there are so many races all around the world, and the fields are super diluted and it is easy to think so and so had a miraculous bike ride, when all they did was what they usually do, just not much there to compare them with.

And I just remembered someone I missed; Starky. will add him in an edit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was just about to ask about Starky..

but, in races this year, Don has ridden off of the front. So, looking just at this year alone, Don is putting out some amazing bike performances. The field he rode away from today in Brazil was not weak. I do agree that I'd like to see him race this well in a deep race. Until he does that, I get not clumping together with the folks on your list, but I would place him up there with folks like Andreas Raelert (who is racing today), Andreas Dreitz...

does Wolfgang make that list?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does Wolfgang make that list?

No Wolfgang does not make my list, similar to Don in their ability on the bike. Same with the Ralerts, although at one time I thought one or both of them might just make that status. But something happened to Michael, injury I'm guessing. He was on the verge of becoming such a dominating 70.3 guy and then just fizzled out. Same with Andres. Now don't get me wrong, those two have had great careers with some very stellar results, but when they broke out I imagined them to go on and completely dominate for the next decade. I figured them to he the long course version of the Killer B's...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, if I ever bike 4:06 just once and even if the course is 12 miles short and at some local YMCA triathlon, I'm on the f'n list

Last edited by: milesthedog: May 28, 17 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can start an AG list for you if you want, maybe even break it down to actual birthdate...(-;

You can make that list for sure I bet!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
How many times down Don have to bike close to 2 in 70.3's and close to 4 in iron distance races until you'll grant him access to that club? Or, do we accuse him of drafting the moto every time he cranks out an amazing bike time? Or, does it only count if it's Hawaii? Or, should he have scrapped Brazil and put everything on the line at St. George to gain entry into that club?
Just out of curiosity - Did you consider Tim Don a uberbiker last year (at the same race) when it was McMahon that was sitting behind the lead vehicle?

Last year Brent biked a 4:11 while Tim biked a 4:22.
This year Tim went 4:06 and Brent did 4:29.

You do the math. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna add Mike Pigg to my list...
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Kristoffer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kristoffer wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

Just out of curiosity - Did you consider Tim Don a uberbiker last year (at the same race) when it was McMahon that was sitting behind the lead vehicle?

Last year Brent biked a 4:11 while Tim biked a 4:22.
This year Tim went 4:06 and Brent did 4:29.

You do the math. :)

but, but the Don is more aero this year!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 miles is the total length of the YMCA triathlon bike leg :0)

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
\

The thing about IM Brazil is that it's infamous for the aerotow provided to the front biker. Last year when Tim went 4:22 on the bike there were videos posted of Brent Mcmahon enjoying the heck out of the lead moto and going 4:11. It looks as if perhaps it's possible that Tim learned a lesson from that and went right to the front from the get go. I'm sure we'll eventually get reports of how the front end of the race looked to others like we did last year.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is Sebi not on that list?
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is Sebi not on that list?

You are right, like I said, I figured there would be about a dozen or so. I just threw very quickly at what was at the top of my head to get it started, good catch
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
\

The thing about IM Brazil is that it's infamous for the aerotow provided to the front biker. Last year when Tim went 4:22 on the bike there were videos posted of Brent Mcmahon enjoying the heck out of the lead moto and going 4:11. It looks as if perhaps it's possible that Tim learned a lesson from that and went right to the front from the get go. I'm sure we'll eventually get reports of how the front end of the race looked to others like we did last year.

So, if and when he breaks either or both Sanders's and/or Frodo's iron distance record(s), how will it be considered in comparison?

legitimate? not so? only in comparison to Frodo's (Roth being short and there being a moto to draft) but not Sanders's Arizona iron distance time? or did Sanders benefit from a moto and/or short course distance(s)?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
latest from ironman.com, "Tim is still flying out there as he goes through 23k having run the last 10k in 38:41. He could still slow quite a bit and get Lionel Sanders's Ironman Record from last years Ironman Arizona of 7:44:29."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or did Sanders benefit from a moto and/or short course distance(s)/

Unless I'm mistaken, haven't we already determined that AZ was on a short course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is great seeing Tim riding better this year for the most part and you can see his position improvements. I hope he crushes the run and is able to keep up his pace on the run. This is going to be amazing. Is Brent on course to break 8 hours again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't trust a record 100% unless its at Kona. Don't understand why they dont properly measure all courses

Quote Reply

Prev Next