Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
US Cycling Nationals
Quote | Reply
Who do you have for the TT this morning and the Road Race tomorrow?

I think Phinney is the crowd favorite for the TT, althought his TT at the Tour of California was a bit behind Talanskiy's (who is not riding).

Phinney then Zirbel are my 1 and 2 picks.

Road race tomorrow. I've got no clue who will win. Brookwalter? Phinney?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would be sweet to see Phinney take both. I think the form he was on before his injury was good enough to do it. I don't know about now.

I would like to see Reijnen finally win it after taken 3rd a bunch of times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buddy just texted me from the race...Mini-Phinney took Zirbel by ~25".

Hopefully he gets to show the Stars & Stripes this time!

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like he crushed it.

1:10 better than Zirbel.

PHINNEY Taylor
BMC Racing Team
01:02:45

ZIRBEL Tom
Rally Cycling
1:10

VERMEULEN Alexey
Team LottoNL - Jumbo
1:12

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taylor was absolutely flying. After I flatted on leg 2/4, I was able to watch some of the guys fly by. It was impressive to say the least. He was also using the Giro Aerohead without the visor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw SlowTwitch poster Kevin Metcalf missed the win by 1second in the 55-59 category. That's a hard margin to lose by because you can always think of something you didn't do as well as you should/could have.

Wishing him the best of luck next year!
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Taylor was absolutely flying. After I flatted on leg 2/4, I was able to watch some of the guys fly by. It was impressive to say the least. He was also using the Giro Aerohead without the visor.

He started with the visor, then either took it off or it came off (unlikely from what I've heard about the magnets) during the ride. Anyone know the story?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taken at different times.
Nasal strip in pic 2, but not in pic 1.
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [mtbmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just harder to see in the first pic (but it's there).

Other photos from the race: http://www.journalnow.com/...ode=image&photo=

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That first doesn't look like it's from the course we rode yesterday, but then I was head down a lot (it was in a very rural area with no buildings). It also felt a lot hotter than what the temperature indicated and I think that is why he dumped it as he did have it at the start house (photos and reports indicate this). However, I'm not sure if he started on course with it or took it off at the start, as I had already left at that point.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to BrianB of ST, who was asking me night before if he should switch rear tires. I said no. Don't know if he did or if it was the right choice.

I think several master amateurs had some good meltdowns out there, myself included, tho mine was stupidly self induced :) bad prep for the event

but, I think the H3 is still relevant too. :) in line with other comments on phinney
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I saw SlowTwitch poster Kevin Metcalf missed the win by 1second in the 55-59 category. That's a hard margin to lose by because you can always think of something you didn't do as well as you should/could have.

Yeah, Kevin had a rough road race. Older team mate of mine took 26th in RR with Kevin missing the break and back 60 something (just under 100 starters I think). I think he skipped the crit (which was likely a good idea with LOTS of crashes on the 35 mpg straight away into "the turn" and then dominated the TT. 1 sec though. Damn.

Re: US Cycling Nationals [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
to BrianB of ST, who was asking me night before if he should switch rear tires. I said no. Don't know if he did or if it was the right choice.

yes, will give you credit for talking me down from switching. Stayed with Conti SS 23 f&r, at 100/105 psi. Teammate told me to go higher, you suggested lower, so I split the difference.

Pretty sure my power was higher going out than back too, which was not the plan. Not account enough for the heat I think. Most annoyingly the Garmin decided to freeze when saving the file so I do not have a ride file.
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as I was coming back, the road just felt so, rough. I probably should have gone a few lower in the psi myself(87/107)(r/f)

out on easy ride today... I bonked again, not enough juice in the system
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
didn't realize they moved the races from Monday to Saturday. Will have to watch the replays, if they are available. Greg Daniels and his Hagens Berman teammates are something; at least the next generation of American cyclists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:

He started with the visor, then either took it off or it came off (unlikely from what I've heard about the magnets) during the ride. Anyone know the story?

My photos show him with the visor at the start but without it at the midpoint turnaround, which was at the start/finish. I suspect he pulled it off and tossed it as it was very warm and humid by 9 in the morning when he rode. I rode at noon - it took a lot longer than normal to recover after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Yeah, Kevin had a rough road race. Older team mate of mine took 26th in RR with Kevin missing the break and back 60 something (just under 100 starters I think). I think he skipped the crit (which was likely a good idea with LOTS of crashes on the 35 mpg straight away into "the turn" and then dominated the TT. 1 sec though. Damn.

I wont go so far as to say the road race course was "bad", but there was nothing to keep it from being a negative chase fest. I tried to get away on a number of occasions but was pretty heavily marked and none of the hills were long enough or hard enough to force a selection. Then other guys who were worth taking note of (Dan Shore in particular) were allowed to roll away. Then it became a game of chase anybody who goes after them and then sit up and let the break roll further away... It's an old story.

I tried a last few times on the last lap, but had no luck and then just said fuck it and towed the field from about 4km to go until they started coming around with 1km to go at at that point I just got out of the way. We got pretty close and I was hoping that a friend of mine might be able to pull something off in the sprint. If others would have done something instead of sitting in to sprint for 20th place we could have caught the leaders. Maybe not Dan the winner, but... I had no interest or aptitude to be part of that group sprint.

I like doing criteriums, but opted out of this one due to it being so close to the TT (6:30pm the night before) and the risk of this course. I went out and watched my team win the 45+ race and came up with the idea that Wednesday was the National Criterium Championship (Long Course) and Thursday was the National Criterium Championship (Short Course). Sometimes I crack myself up.

As for the TT. Congrats to Brian. And yes it sucked a great deal to lose by 1.06 seconds! In retrospect I think I went out too hard and was certainly paying for it on the way back. Afterwards I packed up, drove to Charlotte and flew home. My wife picked me up and we drove down to some friends house where I unpacked and built up my TT bike, then on 5 hours sleep went out to do a local low key TT with my wife at 7:30am. I had a good ride and my legs felt pretty good, which to me kind of backs up the idea that I melted a bit the day before and that it wasn't so much my legs. But the guy who win's is the guy who puts it all together on race day and that is what Brian did.

BTW, I think only one guy (my team mate Dan Bryant) did not get chicked by Carmen Small. It may have been cooler when she rode and that may have helped, but she did a hell of a ride!

One last try in August for the hill climb for me...

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Last edited by: nslckevin: May 29, 16 5:20
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feldman did not get chicked either. 7sec from it, but still clear.
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

One more thing on the road race.

I really think that they need to give us longer road races at nationals. If I was to go to worlds, even as a 55 year old my road race would be close to 100 miles. A couple of years ago the world's masters road race was 150km with 10k' of climbing and finished on an HC Giro climb outside of Trento. Two years ago I bitched about the super short road race for my group in Ogden and somebody on our NorCal mailing list brought it to USAC and they increased the max distance for 50+ from 90 to 110km. That helped, but it's still too short.

On the other hand I understand the logistical issues. As it is, they had two days of road racing for master's, tandems and para cyclists. If you add another 20 or so miles to each of those races it's tough. But the national championship should be at least kind of hard and a flat 55 mile road race just isn't.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:

One more thing on the road race.

I really think that they need to give us longer road races at nationals. I

Based on participation USACycling should just throw in the towel on junior, category, and pro racing and just making it an all-masters sport. And maybe break it down from 5 year categories to 2.5 year to reduce some of the crit course overcrowding.
Last edited by: trail: May 29, 16 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
Feldman did not get chicked either. 7sec from it, but still clear.

BTW, I was shocked to see the 45+ podium shot with all five medalists. Feldman is somewhat infamous for not showing up to awards when he doesn't win.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how about that difference between 3rd and 4th in 45-49.....0.13sec makes your margin look huge! :) those margins are for the folks that think every little detail matters. :) or :( depending on which side you fall

am told in 60-64 Painter broke chain at start and took 3.5 min +/- to get it fixed. that would suck, but not quite as bad as friend from Chicago whose steer tube snapped before start(well not sure when exactly he didn't say, just sent me the pic of bike)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely agree. Perrino was telling me the same. Hell, we just raced 2 x 1 +hour crits today.

Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
how about that difference between 3rd and 4th in 45-49.....0.13sec makes your margin look huge! :) those margins are for the folks that think every little detail matters. :) or :( depending on which side you fall

am told in 60-64 Painter broke chain at start and took 3.5 min +/- to get it fixed. that would suck, but not quite as bad as friend from Chicago whose steer tube snapped before start(well not sure when exactly he didn't say, just sent me the pic of bike)

I talked with him a bit afterwards. He was bummed. He's coming out to Loyalton for our district TT in a couple of weeks. I expect that a new 60+ national record will help sooth that wound.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: US Cycling Nationals [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super thrilled for my friend Megan Guarnier - the US 2016 women's national champ ( and 3x national champ), the current leader in the Women's World Tour, and going to the 2016 Olympics this summer!!

I heard the crit course was just a little crazy. A NorCal friend crashed out in the ended up in the hospital. He has multiple broken ribs and a pneumothorax so they can't fly home. Luckily he won the road race prior to the crit so he's coming home with one Stars & Stripes Jersey.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: May 29, 16 14:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next