Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge"
Quote | Reply
The CEO of usa cycling sent out an email today highlighting next year's licensing fees.

Added to the list is a new "anti-doping surcharge" of $5 for Cat 2s and 3s and $25 for Cat 1s and mtb pros. Pro road is a $50 fee. http://www.usacycling.org/...schedule-of-fees.htm

As a cat 1, at first I was irritated, then I thought it might be a good thing, but after thinking about it all day I'm back to just being irritated at now having to pay $95 just to get a license to race road domestically.

I'm wondering if this will actually change anything in any measurable way.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
The CEO of usa cycling sent out an email today highlighting next year's licensing fees.

Added to the list is a new "anti-doping surcharge" of $5 for Cat 2s and 3s and $25 for Cat 1s and mtb pros. Pro road is a $50 fee. http://www.usacycling.org/...schedule-of-fees.htm

As a cat 1, at first I was irritated, then I thought it might be a good thing, but after thinking about it all day I'm back to just being irritated at now having to pay $95 just to get a license to race road domestically.

I'm wondering if this will actually change anything in any measurable way.[/quote

If it makes u feel any better we pay about $800 as pros for triathlon

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I admit that I dope, can I skip the surcharge?
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

It doesn't. I only race for fun, not a paycheck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent front door brag ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:

You probably still make more money than most triathlon pros. From just prize purses, not your real job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then how much do you pay for WTC races and how early do you have to sign up? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coming to a sport near you soon (e.g., triathlon)

I wish it wasn't necessary, but, in AG with "T" being so advertised and easy to obtain...

Testing is necessary.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a waste of time and resources.

I have said it before, I will say it over and over and over..

Stop testing AG athletes! The PITA factor is not worth it.

I don't even give my chickens and turkeys antibiotics, so I am the last guy (and far too cheap) to dope. But, I don't give a damn if my fellow FOP triathletes are doping. I really don't care.

I certainly don't want to subsidize the tests that will crush their already soft egos.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

USAT license is $800 or is that just WTC?

If you're talking WTC, that's exaggerating, since you no longer pay race fees. That is, unless, you're racing in a non-pro race. Or did you pay for that one (half-pink font?)
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah... It's definitely not an $800 anti doping fee. You get to race as many wtc races as you want with that $800.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:

You probably still make more money than most triathlon pros. From just prize purses, not your real job.

Yikes! Hope not!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to think the best of people. I like to think that they, are taking part in, what for all intents and purposes, is a recreational activity, clean and competing by the rules. However, the last few years have been disappointing. I see an obsession and a relentless, ruthlessness in amateur endurance sports, that was previously the preserve of the Professionals. For the Pro's it's ALMOST understood (but still not right), but for amateurs, for what really is a recreational hobby?

I qualified for the Ironman World Championships a number of times, and raced in Hawaii twice. For me when I did that, it was an achievement, but it did not seem like that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Life went on. A few years ago I was at a party and was talking to a guy, who after we had swapped a few stories, told me he would do ANYTHING to qualify for and race in Kona. I could tell from the look in his eyes, that he was not kidding! He REALLY meant that . . . and that's how we arrive at the need for drug testing in amateur endurance sports!
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 25, 15 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:

Yikes! Hope not!

Just going off this. Just by winning a stage race and being a cash prime-whore I wasn't all that far away from the "top 15%" in the pie chart. And I'm a Cat 3 / 1-3 40+ hack. (though staring at an automatic 2 upgrade)

That's the difference between category (non-Pro) cycling and age-group triathlon. Category cycling is designed to give as much possible back to the cyclists. Age-group triathlon is designed to extract as much money as possible from the triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I like to think the best of people. I like to think that they, are taking part in, what for all intents and purposes, is a recreational activity, clean and competing by the rules. However, the last few years have been disappointing. I see an obsession and a relentless, ruthlessness in amateur endurance sports, that was previously the preserve of the Professionals. For the Pro's it's ALMOST understood (but still not right), but for amateurs, for what really is a recreational hobby?

I qualified for the Ironman World Championships a number of times, and raced in Hawaii twice. For me when I did that, it was an achievement, but it did not seem like that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Life went on. A few years ago I was at a party and was talking to a guy, who after we had swapped a few stories, told me he would do ANYTHING to qualify for and race in Kona. I could tell from the look in his eyes, that he was not kidding! He REALLY meant that . . . and that's how we arrive at the need for drug testing in amateur endurance sports!

x1000. I would gladly pay an additional $50 per year for serious AG testing. But, it really wouldn't be fair to the majority of triathlon participants that really are just participating. A "Competitive amateur" division could be an answer. Unlike USAC, though, I don't think a category system makes sense for triathlon for many reasons debated elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
rubik wrote:

Yikes! Hope not!

Just going off this. Just by winning a stage race and being a cash prime-whore I wasn't all that far away from the "top 15%" in the pie chart. And I'm a Cat 3 / 1-3 40+ hack. (though staring at an automatic 2 upgrade)

That's the difference between category (non-Pro) cycling and age-group triathlon. Category cycling is designed to give as much possible back to the cyclists. Age-group triathlon is designed to extract as much money as possible from the triathletes.

I had never thought of that difference between USA cycling and AG triathlon. Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with respect to WTC. But, I'd also argue that the Grand Fondos are becoming the equivalent of Ironman. Ex-pros lining their pockets with over-priced entry fees.

But, low cost grass-roots racing does exist in triathlon, although it appears to be on the decline (though still at a healthy level.) Race fees for triathlon will always be higher than cycling. A local crit is far easier and less expensive to organize than even a sprint tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:

I'm wondering if this will actually change anything in any measurable way.

If if bothers you that much, you can always request a downgrade to Cat 2 and save $20. Being Cat 2 vs 1 is not going to appreciably change the races you are able to do/enter, is it? :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a Cat 1 or Pro who races for 'fun'. OK, you must have a lot of discretionary time to maintain that level of fitness. Seeing that you choose to spend your time training (all the power to you), and not working, seems like you are all set with your finances. So, we are griping over less than $100? It costs that much in gas to get to some races?

rubik wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new one day pricing structure is a bit expensive. $10 for lowest categories for a one day. $25 for a one day for former racers to get into higher categories; can be done once only.
Overall, those policies make it a pain for someone who wants to race a couple of times per year (or whose races are only sanctioned by USAC a couple of times per year)
International license fee went up $25; and I'm considering entering a Masters Worlds event. The increase in license fee to do a one time event for me would be $135
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

If if bothers you that much, you can always request a downgrade to Cat 2 and save $20. Being Cat 2 vs 1 is not going to appreciably change the races you are able to do/enter, is it? :-/

It impacts whether or not I can race NRCs and national championships.

So, yes.

Not really the point in the grand scheme. More a point to it being a waste of my money (in my opinion).
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mfrassica wrote:
You are a Cat 1 or Pro who races for 'fun'. OK, you must have a lot of discretionary time to maintain that level of fitness. Seeing that you choose to spend your time training (all the power to you), and not working, seems like you are all set with your finances. So, we are griping over less than $100? It costs that much in gas to get to some races?

There is a difference between a cat 1 and a pro. They are not in any way interchangeable. Please don't let your ignorance make so many erroneous inferences next time.

I train about 10 hours a week, a good chunk of that commuting. I have a day job. It doesn't pay all that much, but that's my income. I race for fun and in a good year come out about even on expenses through prize money and sponsorship, but it's only a hobby. Nothing is dependent on my racing, least of all whether or not a fellow cat 1 down the road is doping or not. I don't feel I should be responsible for paying for his testing at a local event.

Nationals and NRCs, sure. There's something on the line there. It's where athletes are looking to be at their best, whether through nefarious means or not. Local/regional races? I think it's a total waste. Of course, other regions of the US may have issues that make this a necessity, but I don't know about those..
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, I'd also argue that the Grand Fondos are becoming the equivalent of Ironman. Ex-pros lining their pockets with over-priced entry fees.

Again, as I have said before, these events Granfondos, are much more costly to put on than they appear to be. Road closures, permits, and police required can be VERY costly! They are not the massive money makers that people think they are or they appear to be doing some quick up-front math.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling's new "anti-doping surcharge" [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
The new one day pricing structure is a bit expensive. $10 for lowest categories for a one day. $25 for a one day for former racers to get into higher categories; can be done once only.
Overall, those policies make it a pain for someone who wants to race a couple of times per year (or whose races are only sanctioned by USAC a couple of times per year)
International license fee went up $25; and I'm considering entering a Masters Worlds event. The increase in license fee to do a one time event for me would be $135

Yeah, DBH mentioned they were looking at running at a loss for next year. Sounds like usacycling has been pretty mismanaged for a while and he's looking at improving the business model and getting back in the black while helping development and all.

I can understand that. I just can't get on board with amateurs paying for amateur testing. Get the pros and national teams sorted out first. Still a massive chasm to cross, there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Say it's a weighted average of $7 surcharge for each race licence say ($5 for the bulk of members who are Cat 3/2 and higher surcharge for smaller number of Cat 1 riders).

That's not quite enough to pay for 0.01 dope tests per licence holder per year on average.

El Oh El

I'm not sure how that's going to make much difference. Sounds more like a PR stunt than an anti-doping initiative.

I'd have though the $5 and $25 amounts should be added to every race. Then you might start to get some $ worth talking about, enough for a dope test ratio average greater than 1 per licence holder per year and team/staff to manage an independent intelligence and investigation unit, the latter being a way to better target the testing and ID other doping breaches not related to failing a dope control as well as other anti-doping strategies. The money however cannot be channelled via a sporting admin body since they have demonstrated through history a conflict of interest and an inability to take anti-doping seriously.

BTW - race licence fees in USA are cheap compared to Australia. Ours are 3-4 times the price.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible comparison. No validity.
Quote Reply

Prev Next