Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT kudos
Quote | Reply
last night i panicked when i realized i wasn't registered for olympic nationals , which i was sure i had registered for in December, but i hadn't and now it is past the registration deadline. i contacted them and they were super helpful and im now registered - whst a relief! it is a huge race and im very grateful that despite being on the ground in Omaha and super busy, they helped our this very panicked triathlete.

i know usat had caught some flak from some, and i just wanted to give them a public shout out and thanks.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: USAT kudos [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They generally are pretty prompt, accommodating and helpful. Congrats on getting registered!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT kudos [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also - they can hardly give those slots away, so I'm sure they were more than happy to accommodate the OP, to get another warm, paying body participating in the race.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: USAT kudos [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Also - they can hardly give those slots away, so I'm sure they were more than happy to accommodate the OP, to get another warm, paying body participating in the race.

10 years ago yes. but in recent years haven't they had 4,000 or 4,500 registrants? that sounds like quite a few. but maybe that's old news too. educate me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you are there, can you ask them to respond to my emails? Sent 2 in the past 2 weeks (from different accounts just in case one was having a server error) and neither was responded to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

not everyone invited goes. the same is true for IM 70.3 worlds and thus they have a roll down.

but to say USAT needs warm bodies is imo, an insult to both the kind service USAT provided to me AND the many fast athletes who have put in a lot of training and will give their best on Saturday. it is a great race and just because it is not for you doesn't mean you need to dismiss the 4,000 athletes doing this race as merely being there because they are warm bodies. everyone there qualified and i know several going that did a few races trying to qualify. my hat goes off to any triathlete that pushes herself or himself to be their best and race against great competition.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

but to say USAT needs warm bodies is imo, an insult to both the kind service USAT provided to me AND the many fast athletes who have put in a lot of training and will give their best on Saturday. it is a great race and just because it is not for you doesn't mean you need to dismiss the 4,000 athletes doing this race as merely being there because they are warm bodies. everyone there qualified and i know several going that did a few races trying to qualify. my hat goes off to any triathlete that pushes herself or himself to be their best and race against great competition.

I'll be there. I don't feel insulted by Murphy. The continued growth of triathlon is a serious issue for USAT. His comment wasn't worth one getting their panties in a wad. Don't turn outrage into a hobby.

No offense meant to anyone that wears panties day to day. Well, if you're a guy and you wear panties, I might keep some wary distance, but I still won't intentionally offend you.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, overall, USAT does a great job.

Super glad you were able to get in. Have a fantastic race and kick some butt.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT kudos [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Since you are there, can you ask them to respond to my emails? Sent 2 in the past 2 weeks (from different accounts just in case one was having a server error) and neither was responded to.

Yeah, I'd love a reply to any of 3 (or was it 4) emails I sent over the last 6 months. As a member for the last few decades I was always able to get a response--until this year.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT kudos [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

I suspect part of the "problem" may be that there was the youth races last weekend, Nationals this weekend and Worlds the next two weekends. I suspect the key players are a bit busy. I do know Lauren (the TeamUSA contact) did broadcast a message saying to expect delays for exactly this reason. I've always had prompt results in non-prime time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

I've qualified the last 6 years but I never go, wonder what % of qualified athletes don't go?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT kudos [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

I've qualified the last 6 years but I never go, wonder what % of qualified athletes don't go?

Huge I expect, but no big deal.

Until USAT brings Tri Nationals back to the west coast, it will have been 12 years, I will just stay home out of principal. I spend way too much money on this sport
already, .....

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: USAT kudos [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Until USAT brings Tri Nationals back to the west coast, it will have been 12 years, I will just stay home out of principal. I spend way too much money on this sport
already, .....

I really want them to bring nationals to the west coast too, not just because I live out west, but because it is such great racing and beautiful. I actually would be pretty excited about an August race in New England or upstate New York too for the same reasons.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What principal are you standing on? Isnt it more on west coast RD's not bidding for it than anything?

Were you at nationals 12 years ago when it was last on west coast?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 10, 17 4:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Interesting question and I'm going to say the percentage is pretty low... to get a fuzzy number let's say the AG podiums for many races qualify for USAT Nationals... so that's 3 per race times how ever many races across the country.

In Milwaukee my AG was split into two waves (Worlds were in Chicago)... otherwise it tends to float around 100-140sh I think. It's a big overall race but in terms of AG size, the percentage of people that actually go vs. qualified has to be low.

Those that go tend to be pretty diverse as well, you have people that are there to be competitive, some qualified by stroke of some luck be it a small race/whatever(only one in their AG) and people in between.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

My guess is a lot. Qualification really isn't that hard for a national championship. Find a top 33% qualifier or find a race in podunk back country and if you are in reasonable shape you can make it.

Last year 40 percent of male 30-34 were over 2:30 and 30 percent of 25-29. For those age groups that is really slow for a nationals event. But they need people and when they put it in Nebraska not everyone will show up.

It looks like last year they had around 2000 people. If you cut it in half you would have a better competition but paying for it would be tough.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT kudos [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cut what in half? Eligible national champ participants?

2000 people for a national title, I would call that actually below what I thought it would be. If you had asked me how many race AG nats, I'd have easily said on average same as IM ~3k people.

ETA: although with 2 races over weekend one which is open entry that raises the number likely to solid overall race number.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 10, 17 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: USAT kudos [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah to cutting down the number eligible not necessarily 1000 vs 2000 but increasing the qualification requirements. If it's harder to go, my view is, faster athletes would be more likely to show up as it's seen as bigger achievement.

I just don't see qualifying as a big achievement with how easy it is to get in. It should be difficult since it's nationals. But if it does cut down their participant numbers then it's a whole different scenario when USAT has to pitch it to cities to host with less people.

I just don't think the everyone gets to go to nationals methodology is the best way to move AG racing forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So here is the issue. Perception is not reality when you look st the numbers. Because yes I agree with you that Nationals "isn't hard" to qualify. However here is the bottom line numbers that show opposite.

There is apparently 51,000 members. 2000 of those raced in the premeire AG nationals. That's what 3% of the population?

So again I agree it's "easy" to make it, what I don't see happening is making it even harder.

I was shocked when you said 2016 there was 2000 ppl that raced. As "easy" as it is, I'd have put a months worth of coaching that number would have been closer to 4K people.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Yeah to cutting down the number eligible not necessarily 1000 vs 2000 but increasing the qualification requirements. If it's harder to go, my view is, faster athletes would be more likely to show up as it's seen as bigger achievement.

I just don't see qualifying as a big achievement with how easy it is to get in. It should be difficult since it's nationals. But if it does cut down their participant numbers then it's a whole different scenario when USAT has to pitch it to cities to host with less people.

I just don't think the everyone gets to go to nationals methodology is the best way to move AG racing forward.
I agree with you about it being easy... but I race with some people that don't qualify and their perspective is different. They'd love to qualify and even then, they "might" go to Nationals.

I try to remember that we all have different perceptions... my reality is that I've qualified for Nationals in all but the first two races when I got into triathlon back in 2009. Me qualifying at this point means me finishing a race without getting a flat. Some of my tri friends, them qualifying means they had the race of their lives sometimes.

They need the numbers and honestly I feel the spread is there with those that are competitive and those that are in the 2:20 plus crowd. I do think numbers are down this year due to a few things... 70.3 Worlds in the US coming up, Omaha isn't super exciting for many, Worlds next year is Australia.

I like Omaha and I'm excited the weather is looking cool, maybe even wetsuit legal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What principal are you standing on? Isnt it more on west coast RD's not bidding for it than anything?

Were you at nationals 12 years ago when it was last on west coast?

Nope, from what USAT has told me, it is USAT who has to take make the effort to get a city to be involved. The RD is after this.

Yep, I did both the Tri Nationals when they were last on the west coast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:

Not my thinking. I do not care how tough the competition is, just too much money. And if they doubled the entry fee, Nah no one would complain

Quote Reply
Re: USAT kudos [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

I agree with you about it being easy... but I race with some people that don't qualify and their perspective is different. They'd love to qualify and even then, they "might" go to Nationals.

I try to remember that we all have different perceptions... my reality is that I've qualified for Nationals in all but the first two races when I got into triathlon back in 2009. Me qualifying at this point means me finishing a race without getting a flat. Some of my tri friends, them qualifying means they had the race of their lives sometimes.

They need the numbers and honestly I feel the spread is there with those that are competitive and those that are in the 2:20 plus crowd. I do think numbers are down this year due to a few things... 70.3 Worlds in the US coming up, Omaha isn't super exciting for many, Worlds next year is Australia.

I like Omaha and I'm excited the weather is looking cool, maybe even wetsuit legal!

I qualified at a race where I got a flat......

As for the West Coast / East Coat discussion. The races need to be where its "easy" to get to and it doesn't conflict with "Major Events". For example - They hit Du Nats perfectly for 2018. Easy airport for lots of people and drive-able distance for a TON of people. Weekend is perfect as it aligns with a lot of school spring breaks, cheap, but "decent chain hotels". Doesn't conflict with races such as AZ DU or Fly-by-Night.

Cleveland also seems good. Easy airport, drivable for lots of people, plenty of hotels, low cost city, early enough to not conflict with kids school (other than a very few in the south), not to many conflicting events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So USAT needs to go to cities and sell why said city + RD needs to bid on it? Is that the catch for west coast cities?

In essence west coast cities don't see value in bidding essentially. is it from not seeing value/USAT not showing it?

Or just not interested in the process?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 10, 17 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So USAT needs to go to cities and sell why said city + RD needs to bid on it? Is that the catch for west coast cities?

In essence west coast cities don't see value in bidding essentially. is it from not seeing value/USAT not showing it?

Or just not interested in the process?

It is any cities this is the process. Whether no west coast city has been interested, or USAT has not put the effort into find one, no idea, just the end results
is nothing in 12 years now.

Quote Reply

Prev Next