Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT Structure
Quote | Reply
After reading the "we made Susage" report and the "Sausage central" topic posted, I would like to offer a possible solution to the issues everyone has raised.

1) Formalize the Election process for board of Director positions.

We are lucky to live in the day and age where vote by mail is common practice in several States. The USAT should adopt the same format. One person, one vote. Every member is sent a ballot by mail with a two week time frame to return it. There must be a signature line on the ballot and all returned ballots would be archived for a two year period in case of challenge to that Election. Pretty simple, don't know why anyone would be opposed.

2) Conflict of interest provision. Any member who would likely be in a position that voting as a USAT board member could result in a direct financial benefit to themselves would be prohibited from running for the board of directors or serving as an officer of the USAT.

Are you a Race director who may conduct a Regional Championship event? Great, but you can't serve on the board. Bottom line is that there should never be anyone on any board of a non profit that may benefit financially from any vote taken or policy enacted.

All of the other issues that have been raised recently are more of what I would call an operational nature. If you straighten out the Election, and remove the financial incentive to serve, everything else will get taken care of by well meaning triathletes who are just there to give something back to the sport they love.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Structure [Gopre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In response to your position, I served on the USAT Board 6 years, I am a Race Director and have NEVER made a dime from being on the Board. I will show you my Tax records if you would like. You're off base on your assumptions. Walk a mile in my shoes before you blast a race director.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Structure [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your right, I am assuming that there have been votes taken in which some voting member or members have directly or indirectly received a financial gain as a result of the vote they have made. Is that not the case? If there is already such a conflict of interest policy in place. item 2 in my original post is unnecessary. It was not my intent to accuse any specific individual of anything, and if you were offended I'm sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Structure [Gopre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I accept your apology. I appreciate your up front response. On the Board, those Board members that are RD's by practice recuse themselves from any vote that may benefit them directly. At the start of each year ALL 11 Board members are required to sign a disclosure and conflict of interest statement. These are on file at USAT. As Triathlon is a small sport, incest is always a problem but those on the Board honestly try to refrain from being involved in conflicts. That doesn't mean it has not happened or not happen in the future but it is policed. Like any other organization we are made up of people who have great strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Quote Reply