Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT Nationals VIP?
Quote | Reply
Recently got an e-mail a bit different than the standard "Congrats, you've qualified for Nationals"... it seems that when you hit 10 of these qualifications you qualify as a VIP entry with a private check-in/packet pickup, bag check, some sort of gift and a tour of the course by a local coach.

Of all of that the bit about the course preview might be the most interesting to me... especially since pre-riding the bike course isn't something you can do AFAIK. Has anyone taken advantage of this with any feedback or timeline of this course preview? I'm planning on being in Milwaukee on Thursday and racing both events.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nationals VIP? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the invite last year. I liked the private check-in & bag check and the post race food. The bike course is pretty easy to navigate by car. I don't know how much a course preview would help. Maybe to know exactly where the turnaround points are on the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any insight on the bike course? Is it hilly?
I'm doing the sprint but honestly hate cycling especially when hills are involved. Appreciate any feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nationals VIP? [A-tre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a bridge....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a bridge!

Generally fast bike with pavement far superior to what I'm riding on in Michigan. You turn north out of transition, eventually a slight hill up to the turnaround. Headed south you really get some good speed from the slight downhill. Eventually you hit the bridge. It is steep (and a little freaky to bike on an empty highway). Descending was fine, if a little uncomfortable for a flatlander like me.

Following the sprint turn you come back, go over the bridge and into transition. Don't descend too hot, as the turn toward transition is pretty close to the bottom of the hill.

Great venue, great atmosphere, totally worth the trip!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nationals VIP? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a Michigander too. Live outside A2 and work near Lansing 😀 Appreciate these tips since when you look at the bike course elevations they send it looked awful! But then again I am fluent in map speak. How steep is the bridge and approx how long is the climb? And sounds like you go over and back on the bridge for then sprint?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bridge "climb" is less than a mile and maybe 3% grade at the most, so it really isn't much of a climb. Most of the course is flat, straight, with 2 x 180 turnarounds.

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bridge surface is pretty rough as they were doing construction on it last year (flatted).

Human Person
Quote Reply