Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT 2015 Demographic Report
Quote | Reply
Took them absolutely forever to put this out as I pretty much gave up hope of ever seeing it around mid October. But I guess they finally got around to sharing it.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-triathlon/about/multisport/demographics

Pretty awful across the board which everyone knew was coming, always funny how they try to spin the positive. The most notable numbers are,

Total Annual Memberships, -5.14% (down to 161k from 174k just two years ago)

Total Membership Activity (Annual + One Day), -9.49%, third straight YOY decline, was at 511k in 2012, now 432k.

Sanctioned Events, -1.3%. Only second time since '04 there was a decline and the the first since 2012.

# of Clubs, -3.91%, only second time with a decreased number and it was back to back, peaked at 1036 clubs in '13, now 982.

Certified Race Directors, -9.2%, back to back YOY declines, peaked at 603 in 2013, now down to 496.

So as you can see, very little positive. Bleeding across the board right now. With events barely dipping though but memberships tanking, eventually that will catch up and the events will start to go away as they can't make ends meet with much smaller fields and everyone flocking to the name brand events.

In worse news, 2016 is drawing to a close and I can't imagine that this year will have been any better for them. I would imagine they will see declines in membership for the fourth straight year. Guess I'll have to wait another year for them to release this report again.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those numbers would support what I have seen at races, and with talks with folks.

And I agree, 2016 was worse.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just clicked this to see if h2o would somehow make this about himself. Was not disappointed....
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I just clicked this to see if h2o would somehow make this about himself. Was not disappointed....

And the purpose of this comment is what?

In any case, Dave's comment echoes what appears to be happening in the Boston area. The 2017 schedule is out and two of the three of the race producers have dropped events. Talking to one this year, part of the reason is lack of participation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

And the purpose of this comment is what?

In any case, Dave's comment echoes what appears to be happening in the Boston area. The 2017 schedule is out and two of the three of the race producers have dropped events. Talking to one this year, part of the reason is lack of participation.

I beat he voted for Clinton. :)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One stat I would like to see is individual age group numbers from year to year. I would assume that's not a pretty stat as I'm certain the middle aged AG's are becoming increasingly larger from a percentage standpoint and youth/millennial numbers are total shit.

This is triathlons number one issue. There's a lack of new blood. The sport has turned golf elitist and look what's happening to golf right now. Under 30 participation is abysmal.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Dec 2, 16 14:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm throwing this out there, albeit in a much less eloquent way than others might.
I recall that one of the posts (either here or on FB) mentioned the only segment of the tri participants growing is women, trending towards the shorter races.
Suggestions, anyone?
Short term or long term solutions?
Do any of you consider this to be a natural progression of the "business" cycle due to the aging up of the Baby Boomers?
I don't have answers, just wondering what you all think.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
One stat I would like to see is individual age group numbers from year to year. I would assume that's not a pretty stat as I'm certain the middle aged AG's are becoming increasingly larger from a percentage standpoint and youth/millennial numbers are total shit.

This is triathlons number one issue. There's a lack of new blood. The sport has turned golf elitist and look what's happening to golf right now. Under 30 participation is abysmal.

Could not agree more. Luckily, the attitude I see from a few on ST is not what I see at races. But, since many do look at ST, these few sure do lots of damage to our sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You nailed it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the AG that is lacking is likely 24-32ish. Youth and college participation numbers are growing and in fact youth is really exploding.

The issue i think becomes post college triathlon is "training" (no more team runs, team trips, team workouts) and it's an expensive sport (no more mommy and daddy paying for a $1200 bike and 3 races a year).

I think if the numbers come out you'll likely see that the fastest growing AG is u15 and then u19. Not from an "mass" but improvement from year to year and nothing I've seen suggests that will slow down. In fact I think it will only get bigger. USAT now has high school initiative started, so I expect the HS age and younger to keep growing.

It's the specific 2-3 years post college age that isn't coming into the sport anymore.

ETA: USAT also changed the way they did youth memberships. I believe in years past it was rather expensive, or atleast more expensive than paying 1 day licenses, especially for kids who only did 1 youth race a year. So when they looked at "membership" numbers, it was kinda flawed (it meant youth numbers weren't actually showing what the market is really doing). I think a youth membership is $15 annually now, and pretty much means every youth has to get one to race in youth events now.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 2, 16 16:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello justarunner and All,

Maybe triathlon races need to be cheaper.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the big races are expensive. IM brand, and pulling from the short course pool. Usat needs to make the sport more exciting, maybe add more draft legal races and more pathways to compete at a higher level. The sport as a whole is expensive and the payouts are minimal to other major sports.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT in 2017 is pushing short course (sprint and Olympic distance racing) and pool swims (beginner friendly). It seems they kinda realize IM is going to pull athletes but it needs more grassroots type of athlete that become "lifers" not 2 years in sport where you finish your IM and move to something else.

ETA: this was from CEO remarks at Art & science this fall.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 2, 16 19:46
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STConcierge wrote:
I'm throwing this out there, albeit in a much less eloquent way than others might.
I recall that one of the posts (either here or on FB) mentioned the only segment of the tri participants growing is women, trending towards the shorter races.
Suggestions, anyone?
Short term or long term solutions?
Do any of you consider this to be a natural progression of the "business" cycle due to the aging up of the Baby Boomers?
I don't have answers, just wondering what you all think.

An interesting thing just came through my inbox...

Basically the "dairy farmers of Canada" were offering 5000$ (Can) for various initiatives. Basically 5k for something interesting or unique which would provide enhanced fitness opportunities for women.

One of the tri clubs board submitted and won....stipulation being that you are a woman and have never done a triathlon.

The goal is a sprint triathlon (local)

Various ways to both split and leverage this money...IE day care, team kit, coaching etc...

For reference myself and others will be offering free coaching/services/gear and they/we are (attempting) to leveraging free lanes through the city.

....So it is understood that Some one smart is in charge ;-)

Edit: they have 12 spots which will likely increase members by 20% and women as a portion by more.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Dec 2, 16 20:10
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
You nailed it

Dear Lord, I actually agree with PV!

WTF
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even with the expense, I think that triathlon is full of crusty, old people-type rules that turn off the next generation of athletes. There are far too many "No ______ (insert something that the millennials think is fun)" rules. No headphones. No music. No phones. No selfies. No racing together with your friends. No running along side of your friend for 25 yards. No alcohol at the post party.

USAT needs to make the race itself more appealing to the 20-something crowds. In general, they are far more social than triathlon allows them to be. You can't just pander to Type-A introverts and expect growth.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Even with the expense, I think that triathlon is full of crusty, old people-type rules that turn off the next generation of athletes. There are far too many "No ______ (insert something that the millennials think is fun)" rules. No headphones. No music. No phones. No selfies. No racing together with your friends. No running along side of your friend for 25 yards. No alcohol at the post party.

USAT needs to make the race itself more appealing to the 20-something crowds. In general, they are far more social than triathlon allows them to be. You can't just pander to Type-A introverts and expect growth.

Yea, USAT needs to make races that meet the 20 something expectations. Zero rules. EVERYONE wins!! And I guess they also need to give them all the equipment for free, and provided food, lodging and transportation to the event for free. :)

Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There does need to be more appeal. I think the cost of everything is a huge deterrent. I took 5 years off directly after college and it wasn't all expense related. Although I qualified for an EDR event right out of college, I lived in northern Michigan, didn't really have the means to get to Clermont or pay for a coach to compete at that level.

Bringing the sport to the NCAA level for women is a start, too, although there needs to be more acress for high level athletes and the rest will follow. Maybe even more payouts just for AG races? increase computation, give people on the edge a way to sustain the sport.

I believe more draft legal races need to be around, develop more people, create a separator friendly event in conjunction with longer or non-draft events. I know most people here are all long course racers but think of the average age of everyone here.

Or it's one of two things:

Crossfit or

America is just getting lazy.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, USAT didn't include the following very relevant charts and calculations. Either because USAT is not very good at data analysis, or they'd prefer to hide the bad news. Who knows. Regardless, I made these charts by going back to the 2014 report to get annual membership for age groups.

USAT tries to paint a picture of "flat membership numbers," but they do it by ignoring the details The real story is that youth and younger adult membership is tanking, and ages 45+ are growing (maybe even booming).

Quote Reply
Re: USAT 2015 Demographic Report [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little more detail is seen by dividing out the sexes (women make up about 37% of annual members). Women membership is growing very quickly in the 50+ ages, and a little bit at college age.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How relevant are those growth/loss figures? The age groups growing (45-99, and 18-19) comprise 41% of all annual members.

The age groups declining represent 59% of all members.

Considering that the age groups that are declining are the younger cohorts, it's easy to predict a long-term decline in membership unless changes are made to attract youth and younger adults.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The USAT report hides the severe decline in youth membership by combining those numbers with overall membership. Here's a chart of youth membership changes.

From 2014-2015, youth membership declined 16%. In 2015 it was down 22% since its peak in 2013.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if the same trend is occurring outside of the US? It seems like triathlons receive a little more mainstream coverage in other countries. Wonder if Gwen's Olympic gold will have any positive impact to the numbers.

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Considering that the age groups that are declining are the younger cohorts, it's easy to predict a long-term decline in membership unless changes are made to attract youth and younger adults. "

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the 30-39 and 40-49 AG ever did a triathlon when they were in their 20's. I would guess that the majority of the 40-49 AG were not triathletes when they were younger. Triathlon wouldn't have worked well with my lifestyle when I was in my 20s. Once I was married, with kids, living the dream, it was the perfect outlet for me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next