Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UPDATE: SAVE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON SWIMMING & DIVING
Quote | Reply
Triathlon Community,

My name is Hailey Nievergelt & I am the daughter of former professional triathlete, Juli Nievergelt. Having been raised around the sport of triathlon, compassion and love of sport is in my blood. I took my passion and put it in the pool. I was fortunate enough to end up swimming Division 1 at the College of Charleston, in South Carolina. What I did not expect to happen as a collegiate athlete was to find a family, a team is unlike any other. As a senior, over the past three and a half years, I have made a ‘family’ of goofs, geniuses, first-rate athletes, artists, competitors, idealists, motivators, coaches, advice-givers, my best friends. These people are more than my teammates- they are my life-long comrades. If I could wish anything for the next generation of college swimmers and divers, I would wish they could have the same experience I have been fortunate enough to have.

On, November 6, 2014, in a tear-filled meeting, my wish was threatened when the team received the news that the College of Charleston Department of Athletics is considering disbandment of the teams due to costly repairs of the Stern Center Pool facility. While I will be able to end my swimming career as a Cougar, it breaks my heart to think that current recruits, prospective athletes, and unknowing young swimmers who would one day realize that CofC is for them, will not be able to have the life-changing college experience which I have been afforded.

Moreover, Stern Center is the only pool accessible to students, faculty, and staff at the College. Shutting down the pool would not only dissolve a team, but also drown a fitness opportunity for many novice swimmers. With a mere six months before the proposed repurposing of the pool, swimmers are faced with finding a new home, the college faces losing an amazing team, and students face losing a recreation opportunity. There is hope though; the Athletic Director alluded to the possibility of keeping the program and the facility should adequate money be raised.

I ask that anyone reading this, sign this petition in attempt to save our pool and team. I ask that you rally behind us in demonstrating, to the Athletic department, the amount of heart, competitive sprit, and love for the team and sport embodied in this group of people. I ask that you sign this petition to extend the possibility that young athletes will, one day, be able to find the family they never knew they had as a CofC swimmer or diver. I also encourage anyone who wants to voice their opinions to people in a position of power in the situation to contact the President of the College, and the head of the Athletic Department, Joe Hull. We appreciate every ounce of support we have received & we are determined to fight this battle until the end.

Glenn McConnell:
Office Address: Randolph Hall 66 George Street Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843.953.5500
E-mail: president@cofc.edu

Joe Hull: Athletic Director
Office Address: 66 George Street Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843.953.5546
E-mail: hulljj@cofc.edu

https://www.change.org/p/the-college-of-charleston-department-of-athletics-reevaluate-the-disbandment-of-the-men-s-and-women-s-swimming-and-diving-teams

Thank you for your support, & please help us fight this battle!
Sincerely,
Hailey Nievergelt
Class of 2015
Last edited by: NIEVERGELTHB: Nov 12, 14 15:10
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: SAVE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON SWIMMING & DIVING [NIEVERGELTHB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I give you a lot of credit Hailey and wish you the best in your endeavors. One thing you might include in your appeal to the President and the AD is that swimmers statistically have the highest GPAs of any student athletes (you might double check that fact but I'm 95% sure).

BTW, have you tried raising money on Kickstarter? What about making a business case for opening up the pool to outsiders for a drop-in fee?
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: SAVE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON SWIMMING & DIVING [NIEVERGELTHB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Hailey,

I went to the Citadel and we had a decent pool - have you guys contacted them to try and use their facilities? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to set something up. PM me if you think this is something tenable.

-Bud
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: SAVE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON SWIMMING & DIVING [bvw_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At Charleston SC City Council listening to passionate group of students pleaing for help. Asking the City to build a world class pool for them and the rest of the City
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hailey,
NEW NEW guy here... if you remember that from Hawaii years ago... love to sign and support you but the link isn't working.
dave
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: SAVE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON SWIMMING & DIVING [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New New Guy!!! How cool, think I fixed the link! Please give it a try, its greatly appreciated! Spread the word.

Best Regards,
Hailey Nievergelt
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: SAVE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON SWIMMING & DIVING [90kestrel200] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear that people out in the community care about this situation as much as us! There is a large portion of my team (family) at the City Council meeting this evening, wish I could have been there! Each and everyone of us have impactful stories to tell of how this program has deeply changed our lives. Thanks for listening!

Sincerely,
Hailey Nievergelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They did a great job! You would have been proud of them. Make sure you keep trying to engage City Council members, particularly Council Member Kathleen Wilson. She will champion your cause every chance she gets! I'm on City staff and have personal knowledge of her passion for swimming and just how determined she can be.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: SAVE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON SWIMMING & DIVING [90kestrel200] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any update on the swim program status?
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: SAVE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON SWIMMING & DIVING [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears in this article that things may be looking cautiously optimistic:

http://swimswam.com/college-charleston-swim-team-reaches-agreements-use-local-facilities-plans-place-speak-present-new-case/

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply