Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY?
Quote | Reply
From http://www.slowtwitch.com/...l_Matthews_4906.html - "...athletes with non double diamond frames had to submit images of their bikes to the race organization."

Why are they making athletes do this? Just look up the bike online. And what is the point?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better than denying them permission to race like they did at ITU WC in Edmonton last August :(

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Better than denying them permission to race like they did at ITU WC in Edmonton last August :(

Why? Folks knew that the UCI rules at Edmonton would be enforced so why would anyone bring a non legal bike, helmet, etc.
to a world championship?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
rbuike wrote:

Why? Folks knew that the UCI rules at Edmonton would be enforced so why would anyone bring a non legal bike, helmet, etc.
to a world championship?

It was a new rule as of Feb 2014 and apparently not communicated well by ITU and federations. The two guys I talked to were sent the old rules as part of their package.

It's a really stupid rule. Considering triathlon in general has not applied UCI rules to bikes to all of a sudden pick and choose a few of them to implement is dumb. A non-UCI compliant Speed Concept is OK but a frame that isn't a traditional double diamond is not?

Rodney
Last edited by: rbuike: Feb 25, 15 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would require a sporting federation to use a bit of wisdom and common sense which we all know isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
rbuike wrote:

to a world championship?

It was a new rule as of Feb 2014 and apparently not communicated well by ITU and federations. The two guys I talked to were sent the old rules as part of their package.

It's a really stupid rule. Considering triathlon in general has not applied UCI rules to bikes to all of a sudden pick and choose a few of them to implement is dumb. A non-UCI compliant Speed Concept is OK but a frame that isn't a traditional double diamond is not?

That. It really grinds my gears. Shiv tri with a nosecone is okay but Dimond is not? Makes no sense. UCI rules are byzantine. Let's please not copy them into non-drafting triathlon.

But they could either come up with a similar set of guidelines just more sane, or they could let us ride anything with two wheels of same diameter and no aero fairings. I'd prefer the latter, as would most of us I'm sure. A 56 or 112 mile ITT and then a run is hard enough without getting some lame bike rules added to it.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Feb 25, 15 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
rbuike wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
rbuike wrote:

to a world championship?

That. It really grinds my gears. Shiv tri with a nosecone is okay but Dimond is not? Makes no sense. UCI rules are byzantine. Let's please not copy them into non-drafting triathlon.

But they could either come up with a similar set of guidelines just more sane, or they could let us ride anything with two wheels of same diameter and no aero fairings. I'd prefer the latter, as would most of us I'm sure. A 56 or 112 mile ITT and then a run is hard enough without getting some lame bike rules added to it.

I could agree. But then why did they make the DeSoto Water Rover 10mm wetsuit illegal? Anyone could have purchased if they wanted.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running off a tri bike is hard enough. I can't imagine how bad I'd hurt if I ran off a road bike after 180km!

Triathlon should be staying as far away from the UCI as we can get.

Historically, triathlon has been a great innovator in the cycling world (as has MTB) and the UCI is completely the opposite. Their weight limit is a classic example of that.

Beam bikes, bikes with funky forks etc etc should all be encouraged. If we're not moving forward, we're moving backward.

Thankfully the UCI rule change re the hour record bikes gives us hope that the UCI is at least as progressive as the Catholic Church!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
From http://www.slowtwitch.com/...l_Matthews_4906.html - "...athletes with non double diamond frames had to submit images of their bikes to the race organization."

Why are they making athletes do this? Just look up the bike online. And what is the point?

The rule as it stands now states:
"Non-traditional or unusual bikes or equipment shall be illegal unless
prior approval has been granted from the Technical Delegate, prior to
the start of the competition"

So maybe they're giving athletes with non-traditional bikes a chance to get this prior approval?
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a rule consolidation of a bunch of rules that related to types and thickness of materials. Some federations had a limit, others (USAT for one) had no limit on thickness. There are standardizations of rules and then there are plain old stupid rules.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone enlighten me? Perhaps I've missed something?

I understand the ITU rules, and changes coming for DL in 2016 etc…

But what are the rule implications with non DL races? What is Challenges affiliation with UCI?

Thanks,

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ITU has adopted some of UCI rules in relation to bikes. It's more like the OP meant to say ITU/ETU is reviewing the bikes at Challenge Dubai, not the UCI.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
rbuike wrote:

to a world championship?

Some of the rules were enforced, not a strict adherence to UCI rules. Makes it seem kinda silly.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
texafornia wrote:

The rule as it stands now states:
"Non-traditional or unusual bikes or equipment shall be illegal unless
prior approval has been granted from the Technical Delegate, prior to
the start of the competition"

So maybe they're giving athletes with non-traditional bikes a chance to get this prior approval?

'Non-traditional' is a bit subjective (is a non-traditional bike one with pedals or two equal sized wheels?!?)...and the TD at different races decision may be different from others so you'll have a legal for one race / illegal for another bike -.-
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [thebuzzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not quite that vague. Rules are clear about wheel diameter being equal and pedals :) It's this that catches people...

"The frame of the bike shall be of a traditional pattern, i.e., built around a closed frame of straight or tapered tubular elements, (which may be round, oval, flattened, teardrop shaped or otherwise in cross-section) Non-traditional or unusual bikes or equipment shall be illegal unless prior approval has been granted from the Technical Delegate, prior to the start of the competition"

This is what happens when people who don't know the sport set the rules for the sport :/

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
...built around a closed frame of straight or tapered tubular elements, (which may be round, oval, flattened, teardrop shaped or otherwise in cross-section)...

I could see a patent judge accepting that this complies with that rule.

Otherwise, they better add some language stating that any tubes or construct of tubes meeting at or forming an acute angle may only do so if the opposite ends of the tubes are connected together by another tube or construct of tubes such that the finished assembly forms an enclosed geometric polygon in two dimensions, e.g. triangle or irregular trapezoid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:

Has Dan weighed in on this? I have not seen a story on front page. I think aligning with the UCI is terrible for triathlon. This sport is all about innovation of which Dan is rightly credited as one of the pioneers of triathlon innovation. UCI has stifled innovation in Cycling. This bike was in the Tour in 1997 as was others until the UCI killed it:

Triathlon having anything to do with the UCI is bad for the future of multisport.
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Feb 26, 15 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Built around a closed frame of..." basically means whatever tube you used can't have holes in it - the tube itself has to be closed. That's not the clause they're using against Dimond and other non-UCI frames.

By the way, ITU rules have followed (at least technically) UCI rules since ages. Three years ago when I did my TO course and began officiating event, UCI regulations (including saddle setback) were in the rulebook, though we were explained that enforcing them was only possible with a UCI official at the race, which doesn't happen on local events.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, ITU adopted UCI rules to ease the entry into the Olympics years ago.

Going to royally fuck everything up if they stick with that group for non draft races though.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an ongoing story. Dan is in talks with the head technical delegates at the ITU trying to get a firm answer on this.

It's of particular relevance to me, because right now, i'd be nervous that I can't race ITU LD WC in Oklahoma next year if the ITU takes a hard line on this.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
It's an ongoing story. Dan is in talks with the head technical delegates at the ITU trying to get a firm answer on this.

It's of particular relevance to me, because right now, i'd be nervous that I can't race ITU LD WC in Oklahoma next year if the ITU takes a hard line on this.

Thank you Jordan.

I think this is a terrible idea that impacts the very core of the sport of triathlon.
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the issue here is that the ITU adopted some UCI rules specifically for Olympic/drafting format racing.

Logically it should be quite easy for the ITU to say those UCI rules apply to all draft legal racing but are irrelevant to non-drafting races. HOWEVER, as with most governing bodies I can totally see this very simple action being mired in politics and bureaucracy and eventually getting twisted into some kind of cumbersome ridiculousness.

But, considering bike companies have just started to embrace triathlon specific/non-UCI bikes, perhaps there will be some pressure from the industry to do this right. Not only Ventum, Falco, and Diamond, but also Specialized, Felt, Trek etc. are all producing non UCI compliant "triathlon only" bikes. Considering this, and the annoyance of potential sponsors and triathlon supporters within the bike industry, hopefully IM and Challenge will pressure the ITU to be sane in dealing with this.

In the end, hell, this is triathlon not cycling so obviously UCI rules have no place. The fact that Olympic format racing has cycling-ish drafting rules confuses things...although anyone with any common sense would not be at all confused by the two very different formats.

Its all gonna come down to how controlling the ITU wants to be. Unfortunately they will probably want to use this as leverage over non-drafting events and promoters where historically they have had little to no influence. The ITU sees themselves as the International governing body of triathlon, when in reality they are the International governing body of Olympic format racing and happen to put on some half-assed "World Championships" in a few other formats. I could see them viewing this situation as a way to exert/create authority over triathlon formats beyond Olympic/draft-legal.

Jimmy Archer
Pro Triathlete/Coach/Freelance Writer
http://www.jimmyarcher.com
http://www.dirttri.com
Quote Reply
Re: UCI forcing triathletes to submit images of non-double-diamond frames at Challenge Dubai. WHY? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
I think aligning with the UCI is terrible for triathlon. This sport is all about innovation of which Dan is rightly credited as one of the pioneers of triathlon innovation. UCI has tremendousy stifled innovation in Cycling.

Triathlon having anything to do with the UCI is very bad for the future of multisport.

x 1,000

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply