Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report
Quote | Reply
Hi ST! I'm back with another race report, this time from my foray into ultrarunning. It's like normal running, just ultra-er. More extreeeeeeme. It's the mountain dew of running.

Thanks so much for everything over the years! If anyone ever has training questions about transitioning from multisport to running (or trail racing tips), contact me over the forum or message (or facebook, or Twitter, or carrier pigeon, or yelling really loudly when the wind is just right) anytime.

Bronze medal! 3rd overall on an epic, amazing, muddy course (7000 feet of climbing) in 3:46. Strava GPS file here.

It took a very large treat to get Addie to pose for this photo.

The 50k this year was probably the most competitive trail national championship in U.S. history, and it's not all that close. The players:

Patrick Smyth (U.S. Mountain Champ, 1:02 half marathon, low 13s 5k)
Andy Wacker (2nd at World Long Distance Mountain Champs, 28:xx 10k)
Mario Mendoza (2-time U.S. Trail Runner of the Year, tons of amazing results that could take up 10 pages)
Jared Basset (8:30 3k Steeplechase)
Levi Miller (4 minute miler)
Galen Burrell (Pikes Peak Marathon champ and trail legend)
Ivan Medina (fast as heck marathoner/half marathoner and defending champ)
Sam Robinson (5th at 2014 50k champs, general badass)
Chris Vizcanio (14 minute 5k)
Will Christian (Olympic Trials qualifier)
Ben Stern (Miwok 100k champ just profiled by Competitor Magazine)

And that is just a few! So it was going to be hot at the front. And not just because Pat Smyth and Andy Wacker's running forms are two of the sexiest things a human body can do. Them running is smoother than a Barack Obama speech. I, meanwhile, run like a Donald Trump press conference.

But if Mr. Trump can top the polls, maybe (just maybe), I could bloviate at the front of the lead pack. Donald Trump: empowering dreams! Alternate slogan: Donald Trump: making people run away as swiftly as they can!

Things that make Addie "smile": her parents coming home and a Donald Trump debate performance.

Pre-race:Megan and I have been jet-setting around the globe this summer for real work (lawyer/med student) and fake work (running). We finally arrived back in California last week, where the drought monitor has gone from the color of Donald Trump's skin (in May) to the color of Donald Trump's hair (in August). If it were an old western movie, before the final shootout, a Trump toupee would blow across the road.

I'm guessing the ones labled "Saturday" and "Sunday" are just off to the side of the photo.

I've also become a columnist for Trail Runner Magazine! Here's some links if you want to experience ALL THE POOP JOKES:

Running Form Tips
Hill climbing form
Structuring a Training Week
Strength Training in 5 Minutes
5 Workouts to Build Race Strength
Planning Race Week

I went into the 50k sure I was fitter than ever, but coming off a summer with lots of crappy race results. First, I sucked at the World Champs in July. Then, I was awful at the U.S. Mountain Champs a couple weeks later. Finally, I dropped a delicious sandwich on the ground and Addie won the race to pick it up before the five-second rule expired. Beaten by the world champ mountain runner Francisco Puppi I can understand. But crushed by Addie the actual puppy? MALARKY!

So I had something to prove to myself going into the National Champs. It wasn't so much that I needed a "good" result, just that I needed to enjoy racing on the big stage. Because if running isn't fun, it's pretty darn pointless.

The morning dawned with a steady rain, which is perfect for me. I will always be a fat kid at heart and stomach and flappy bat-wing things under my arms, so it's nice when the weather sweats for me. Megan and I warmed up (aka jogged to a big tree and pooped in private) and kissed (not while pooping). Lots of studs and studdettes lined up, and the gun sounded. We splashed off, and it was really hard not to smile like a kid in rain boots at recess.

Race:The race began on rolling single-track, with defending champ Ivan Medina jumping to the lead. I waited until about a 1/2 mile in and then put my strategy into play. I ran by Andy Wacker (saying "I know I won't beat you, but I've gotta get this moving" as I passed) and jumped to the lead, dropping the pace to around 5 minute/mile for a few minutes. My thinking was this: Andy is a racer and would come with me, which would make Pat Smyth put in a move to stick with Andy. I was hoping the slugfest that would ensue between those two would leave one (or both) vulnerable later in the race. So after about 2 miles, they cavorted off into a fog, destined to spend a romantic morning together in the Marin Headlands. And I began plugging away, alone in 3rd.

"Do you even lift bro?" Ummm...no, clearly not.

With visibility down to 50 meters at times, it was eerily silent on the course. The only sound was my breathing, the occasional curse word from a quick slip, and the frequent fart from a solid carb-loading week. At mile 8, we came to the first aid station, and I was told it was already 2 minutes to the leaders. After I passed through, I waited to hear the cowbells signaling the 4th place runner passed the same spot. It took about 2 minutes, so I knew I was firmly in no-man's land. Just as the cowbell sounded, the course turned up a 600 foot punchy climb and it began to rain even harder. "This is why I run," I thought, sucking down my first Clif shot gel and looking forward to the adventures ahead.

One of the coolest things about the next 5 miles was seeing countless members of the local running community out to cheer the racers on in horrible conditions. They included international trail stars Alex Varner and Jorge Maravilla, who provided a great pick-me-up on the lonely trails. At about mile 13, I filled my handheld flask with Clif electrolyte drink and began the first long climb of the day, up Miwok.

I've had a breakthrough in the last few weeks when I remembered the importance of leaning forward when going uphill. I probably looked like I was taking a break from my day job ringing the bells at the Notre Dame cathedral as I slip-and-slid up Miwok, hunched over and clawing forward. It was completely empty on the mud-slicked trails, with only two pairs of trail-shoe prints to keep me company.

The phantoms up the trail. Credit: Richard Bolt, US Mountain Running.

A couple low-5 minute miles on the descent and we reached the next aid station at mile 16. Another flask refill, some much-needed human interaction, and I headed up the biggest climb on the world-famous Dipsea Trail. Dipsea is like classical music--I understand conceptually why it is so well regarded, but whenever I experience it firsthand, I'm wondering why anyone puts themselves through it willingly.

But boy, in retrospect, it was a fun climb. Rain-slicked roots up 30% grades mixed with California fire roads, never a second to get complacent. It embodied what trail running is all about.

At the Cardiac Aid Station near the summit, trail legend Gary Gellin said I was 1 minute ahead of Alex Varner's previously untouchable course record. But I was 6 minutes down on the leaders! My hope was that the carnage up ahead would start to manifest soon on the technical descent. So I kept plugging away in solitude, loving every second.

My internal monologue for 3 hours: "Puddles! WHHHEEEEEE!"

Well, I loved every second until mile 24, when we hit the final climb. I had gained 1 minute on the leaders over the previous few miles, conveyed to me by 2:28 female marathoner Renee Metivier Baillie, who gave me a big hug as I passed through the aid station. The final climb was up Steep Ravine, famous for stairs, ladders, and possibly velociraptors hiding in the redwoods. A strategic velociraptor attack could definitely get me 1st or 2nd!

Clever girl.

I huffed and puffed up the climb, with absolutely no idea where the chase pack was. But I was barely moving, so they had to be close. "Think positive! Think positive" I thought, positive that I would be caught.

After what seemed like an eternity, we crested the 1600 foot climb and I got the news I was hoping for: one of the leaders was struggling. 6 minutes had become 3 minutes, with 4 miles of switchbacking downhill to the finish. I took off, running toward the leader and running away from the chasers.

The song that best embodies my descending style is a country diddy titled "Let Jesus take the Wheel." In other words, let it fly and hope for the best. Finally, after rocking out to internal country radio, less than a mile from the finish, I saw the man in front, Pat Smyth. It was the first time I'd seen another racer in the last 28 miles.

I ran out of ground, and ended up crossing the finish line about 1 minute behind Pat. Andy ran one of the best 50ks in U.S. history, and I'm so proud of him (he is also an outstanding guy). Pat had made a wrong turn later in the race, and handled one of his first finishes not atop the podium with so much class. Quick bro-hugs, and we waited as streams of incredible runners came through a few minutes later. 4th place was Mario Mendoza, 4 minutes back after fighting through a tough day. 5th was Jared Bassett, 3 minutes after Mario.

I cross the line with a look of constipated consternation.

I was proud that I confronted my fears and went for it in a longer race, solo. But what I will always remember about the finish is not the big $ check (though that is very important for a public interest lawyer!) or even the awesome camaraderie with the racers. No, it was the hug from Megan. She had physical issues and had to drop at the first aid station, one of the only disappointing finishes of her career. Through the rain (and possibly a few tears), she was there for me at the finish line. She looked me in the eyes and smiled, when part of her clearly didn't want to. That salty kiss meant more to me than anything in the world.

Thanks so much to everyone! Special thanks to Richard Bolt of US Mountain Running, Renee for being the best cheerer, Nike for all of the support and the amazing shoes, and Clif for making sure I didn't bonk myself to death. You all are awesome!

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Last edited by: DaveRoche: Aug 31, 15 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work Dave.

Was going to make a comment about the other runners making fun of you for wearing 'bike' shorts, but then saw the others wearing them too. What has trail running come to?
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
Nice work Dave.

Was going to make a comment about the other runners making fun of you for wearing 'bike' shorts, but then saw the others wearing them too. What has trail running come to?

Haha, so true! I think it's just a coincidence that Andy, Pat, and I are wearing spandex. For Pat and I (both sponsored by Nike), the official kit has an option for split shorts or half-tights. The split shorts are seriously the smallest things in the entire world and I cannot wear them when children might be present.

Another stupid trick with half-tights: you can stuff a small bottle halfway down the back when you don't feel like carrying it. Seriously! Mix business with pleasure.

You rock!

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the podium Dave! Great execution.
It sounds like the race gods smiled on you too. I mean, when is the last time it rained in California???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this uplifting post to pull me away from that IM Canada train wreck of a thread! You Rock!
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Congrats on the podium Dave! Great execution.
It sounds like the race gods smiled on you too. I mean, when is the last time it rained in California???

So true! This was Marin though, which is famous for these thick fogs that make it like a rainforest. We Californians still don't do rocks though. When I said the trails were technical, they are still basically twisty single-track roads compared to the Alps or something.

You are awesome!

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get2T2 wrote:
Thanks for this uplifting post to pull me away from that IM Canada train wreck of a thread! You Rock!

That is so great of you to say. You are the coolest.

Also, what happened at IM Canada? Did a nice woman get slandered by mean triathletes? Are they going to jail for a long time for said slander, given that they satisfy the 5 legal elements for an actionable claim? /definitely not written by the woman's lawyer

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More amazing results from Dave Roche.

Your race reports continue to be one of my favorite things on ST.

Keep 'em coming.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2! Congratulations on a great result! Keep posting the RRs - we need more of these on ST.

I've been looking for advice and inspiration to get back to some semblance of running form and a couple days ago I found your articles on Trail Runner's website and I'm trying your 5-min routine now (which takes me no less than 10 min. to finish, but no matter - "...six minute abs?")

How do you keep the rubber side down running so fast on trail descents? That's one of my many weaknesses..(not helped by the fact that I blew out my ankle several years ago)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always enjoy reading your race reports. Fairly rare for one to mention velociraptors.

Spot

Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:

Keep 'em coming.

You are awesome Jason! It's crazy, but it's been 8 years since I started posting these things. I was so proud of my 4th place finishes at local duathlons :)

Also, on the topic of the IM Canada cheater, this race did one of the coolest things I've seen. At the start, they said they would randomly have cameras at a few switchbacks to make sure none of them were cut (which could save you a lot of time on the steeper stuff). I love when racers are actually held accountable!

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Always enjoy reading your race reports. Fairly rare for one to mention velociraptors.

Spot

I generally think a lack of velociraptor references is one of my biggest flaws. I'm trying to replace poop talk with dinosaur discussion. I may end up becoming an honorary paleontologist.

THANKS SO MUCH SPOT!

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyfac06 wrote:
x2! Congratulations on a great result! Keep posting the RRs - we need more of these on ST.

I've been looking for advice and inspiration to get back to some semblance of running form and a couple days ago I found your articles on Trail Runner's website and I'm trying your 5-min routine now (which takes me no less than 10 min. to finish, but no matter - "...six minute abs?")

How do you keep the rubber side down running so fast on trail descents? That's one of my many weaknesses..(not helped by the fact that I blew out my ankle several years ago)

Haha, the Trail Runner articles are a bit simple, but I try to distill things down to the basics. The cool thing about running is that simplicity leads to success. Another thing I recommend during your return to running is daily barefoot bouncing (even just 2 or 3 min in socks on the sidewalk at 15 min pace). Through lots of trial and error, I've found that a little barefoot work can help prevent achilles/knee issues that often pop up when runners start back up.

Regarding staying upright, I don't :) In general, I think the key is to have flexible and strong feet/ankles and to focus on relaxing your whole body. So stretch your feet through child's pose, stretch your calves, do lots of foot circles, and a bit of barefoot running. Then, when you run down hills, let your hips release tension and be sure to raise your feet.

You are awesome!

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaveRoche wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:

Keep 'em coming.

You are awesome Jason! It's crazy, but it's been 8 years since I started posting these things. I was so proud of my 4th place finishes at local duathlons :)

Also, on the topic of the IM Canada cheater, this race did one of the coolest things I've seen. At the start, they said they would randomly have cameras at a few switchbacks to make sure none of them were cut (which could save you a lot of time on the steeper stuff). I love when racers are actually held accountable!

I was going to post in that "other thread" how I had just completed my 40-something consecutive triathlon, all without ever losing a timing chip (amazing, I know)..... but my wife suggested I not wade in to that mess. Some people are just really unlucky I guess :-)

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Last edited by: wannabefaster: Sep 1, 15 6:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, great report, and great performance. Way to be :-)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a firm believer that a shockingly large number of people (even great, normal people) "cheat" if there is little threat of enforcement. Honor codes are pretty useless in my opinion (having been at schools that have them). It applies from test taking to triathlon drafting to endurance sports doping to financial markets. So I haven't followed all of the details of the IMC mess, but my guess is that various types of cheating are a lot more common than people think, and this woman was just a good bit more premeditated and overt with it.

You rock Jason!

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Dave, great report, and great performance. Way to be :-)

-Eric

That is so amazing of you Eric. THANK YOU! "Way to be" is going to be my new congrats to people :)

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaveRoche wrote:
That is so amazing of you Eric. THANK YOU! "Way to be" is going to be my new congrats to people :)

Well, to just keep heaping on the Mutual Admiration Society stuff, you're welcome, and thank you for making me laugh on Strava with the weird random shit you post on your workouts. :-)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
DaveRoche wrote:

Well, to just keep heaping on the Mutual Admiration Society stuff, you're welcome, and thank you for making me laugh on Strava with the weird random shit you post on your workouts. :-)

-Eric

Hahahaha, that is amazing of you. "Weird random shit" probably describes my contribution to the world better than anything :)

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations - another epic adventure straight out of the 'everyone wants to be Dave Roche' cabinet.

Speaking of running - can you confirm that you're running? I saw a Kanye-Roche 2020 bumper sticker on a Black SUV this morning...just sayin'.

Seriously, huge props for another masterful run and race report. Looking forward to what's next.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job, Dave!! When I don't see one of your race reports for a while I get concerned and jump onto your blog to make sure you're not working 80 hour attorney weeks. I love your snippets about your competitors pre-race (race result stalker!!).

What would Dave Roche's scouting report of Dave Roche be??

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
Congratulations - another epic adventure straight out of the 'everyone wants to be Dave Roche' cabinet.

Speaking of running - can you confirm that you're running? I saw a Kanye-Roche 2020 bumper sticker on a Black SUV this morning...just sayin'.

Seriously, huge props for another masterful run and race report. Looking forward to what's next.

Yo Rick, you're great and Imma let you finish, but Kanye-Trump is the greatest ticket OF ALL TIME.

Dude, you are so freaking awesome.

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing these tips, Dave

All the best on your next round of adventures!
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [Lacticbath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticbath wrote:
Awesome job, Dave!! When I don't see one of your race reports for a while I get concerned and jump onto your blog to make sure you're not working 80 hour attorney weeks. I love your snippets about your competitors pre-race (race result stalker!!).

What would Dave Roche's scouting report of Dave Roche be??

If you want to check whether I'm alive, follow me on Twitter or Strava or friend me on Facebook! Or move in to our 400 square foot studio! I like you that much :)

I travel a lot for work, but I've found a few go-to traveling workouts I can do no matter what. I also do lots of very easy shuffling that requires no mental/physical investment (like 9 or 10 min pace!). As for the DR scouting report: inconsistent, persistent, flatulent.

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. 50k Trail Champs Race Report [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyfac06 wrote:
Thanks for sharing these tips, Dave

All the best on your next round of adventures!

WOOHOO! You're so great for saying that.

My next article was just posted on Trail Runner if you're interested, on 3 before-work workouts. These are very applicable to triathletes, who I think should have similar training styles as trail runners.

Article here! http://trailrunnermag.com/...u-can-do-before-work

------
David Roche
Quote Reply