Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two ironmen in one house with small kids
Quote | Reply
Couples that train together stay together...
Before my husband and I had kids, training together and apart worked out really well. But now that we have two kids, the fact that BOTH of us are into endurance sports is a real pain in the ass. So yeah, while we are totally on the same page in terms of "understanding" the need to train and being able to talk for hours about all triathlon/ironman/race stuff (not that we get much talking done with kids around), the truth is, I feel like life would be so much more "convenient" if my hobby was "parenting" like it is for many young moms around me. But for all those moms with small kids that I know who are not into any kind of sports or hobbies, many of their husbands have given up their hobbies as well, either by choice or by "force". Those that gave it up by "force" look pretty miserable. So on the one hand, two triathletes in the family is fun, on the other hand, it is so challenging to manage the time for both of us to train (and we usually just take turns) and it leaves both of us exhausted, and this is on top of the exhaustion of having small kids. On the other hand, we would be miserable if we just gave up training/racing. And while we have not done any full ironman races after baby #2 (just did a couple of 70.3s here and there), focusing on just sprint triathlons is also kind of boring because we have done MANY MANY MANY sprints over the many racing seasons in the past, so they are almost not even worth the bother...
How do two triathletes in a household train and have an "interesting" goal to train towards while balancing full time jobs and kids and not being totally MIA?
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmen in one house with small kids [IronLady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not my situation but we have a young local family here in The Woodlands where both parents are VERY talented athletes. She mainly focuses on Oly's with some sprints and he does some tri's but races bike (road and MTB) at a very high level. For them the key has been a babysitter (plus of course running stroller). They ride long together (with the cycling group) just about every Saturday since their first kid was born. They've made it a priority to have a standing babysitter each and every Saturday morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronLady wrote:
focusing on just sprint triathlons is also kind of boring because we have done MANY MANY MANY sprints over the many racing seasons in the past, so they are almost not even worth the bother...

Unless you are winning the overall race, perhaps that could be your goal and it won't be so boring.

Personally I've found the goal of trying to win is a lot more fun that just completing a long slow day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
focusing on just sprint triathlons is also kind of boring because we have done MANY MANY MANY sprints over the many racing seasons in the past, so they are almost not even worth the bother...

You could focus more on the children and slowly start getting involved in activities they are interested in. It may expand your interests away from triathlons. There are a lot of things you can do with kids, that will give you excellent exercise, you don't have to do triathlons to be fit.

Or, just continue with sprints and work on improving your time.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 29, 16 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It starts by signing up for something together. The training part just gets figured out along the way. To many variables in life to plan to far ahead. IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just a matter of building your life and schedule around training AND your kids. I have three small kids. My wife and I both train. She's a long time runner, but is getting into tris now. My wife and my training is largely invisible to the kids. The kids go to bed at 8 and so do we. I get up between 4-5 and do a 1-1.5 hr workout every day during the week, then do a 30 minute workout at lunch. So during the week, I'm home by the time the kids are up in the morning, and also in the evenings I'm home right after work. My wife doesn't work, and we have a gym that has a daycare. So she either goes there (the daycare is really nice and the kids love it) or does a trainer workout or runs on the treadmill during nap/tv time in the afternoon. On the weekends I get up at 4:30 and I'm back from my long ride/run by 10 then the my wife and kids all have swim lessons, then the rest of the day is ours (typically spent swimming). On Sunday my wife gets up at 5 and does her long run, then I do a brick after she gets back. We're all home by 10am and the rest of the day is the kids'.

So for a 10-12 hr/week baseline training schedule for me, and 7-8 for my wife, and the only time away from the kids is before 10am on the weekends. And in that time one of us is with them, so it's just not BOTH of us.

Things get a little dicey during IM builds, but that's really only the Saturday long ride and that only keeps me out until 12-1ish.

I don't see why so many people think it has to be either or.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After my first baby, I gave up IM training and have since focused on road racing. It's been a blast and although I miss S/ R, dedicating 100% of my time to cycling has allowed me to be pretty good at just one sport, as opposed to going into IM and not seeing my items improve.

After our twins and three kids under 18 months... am okay not being pretty good at anything for some time.

My reco is to readjust your goals. There is life after IM. It's actually a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are into cycling (don't do tri) and it was a part of our lives before having kids and we both still ride but it is challenging as we have three kids. It helps immensely to have a partner who understands why you get satisfaction out of endurance exercise, but you still need to work out how to make the time for it and there are so many things pulling at you already. Sometimes we trade off but then it makes it hard to do things together as a family because one of us is out riding. A baby sitter enables us to ride together and that becomes our form of "dating" on an endurance ride.

But we are talking about just riding and not racing. We are both at the pointy end of the fitness and could be reasonably competitive (we both used to race) but we also know that the demands of racing would add another dimension to the whole thing. Deciding to be fit but choosing to not compete has been a stress relief. So much of this depends on your family dynamic, which is a way of saying if you have helpful family support and your kids roll with it okay. We have virtually no family support and at times our kids are in a phase were baby sitters aren't working out, so it is just another dimension to observe and accommodate. The big challenge is that every time we think we have the formula down stuff changes, which isn't conducive with being a semi-elite athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I used to go on running dates when we were first together. Then did a bunch of races together, 3 70.3's and an Ironman in 2013. She just ran in 2014 and found out she was pregnant the day after setting her marathon PR.

Our daughter is a year and a half and we have another girl on the way. I tried to keep racing and found it made me a worse husband, dad, employee, and triathlete than I wanted to be. Now I am focusing on doing less and doing it better.

I love our family hikes with the dog + baby in a backpack. I run a few days/week and ride when I have time. This will be my first year not racing a triathlon since 2008. And I'm ok with it. Took a while to get here, but I am finding much more enjoyment doing fewer things and doing them better than trying to do everything I/we did before kids.

Obviously every situation is different. We are eyeing 2020 as our "big comeback year"! Maybe I'll even try to KQ in 2021 before I turn 40. Maybe not.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not me, but I've heard of Iron Couples who alternate "big race" years. They both still train, but let one person go for an Ironman or "A" race that requires more time each season, then switch the next season.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmen in one house with small kids [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, i was going to send my wife this thread and say "look, i can still train and race long course". Then i saw your response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband and I do this. We currently have a 6.5 and almost 4 year old. I start racing again when the younger one was an infant. The most important thing we do to manage training with two kids is alternate "Ironman years" (as in, he does an ironman one year, I do one the next). Racing ironmans together is a giant logistical pain that will probably never happen again.

Echoing some of the other posters, we also (1) have a sitter for Sunday morning long rides, which we consider our "date mornings" (2) train early before the kids are up (3) train at lunch (4) train after we get the kids to bed. We can both train for 70.3s and mostly stick to our schedule, and not have too much kid juggling. For reference, I average something like 8 hours a week, and will build to 15 in the couple months before a 70.3, and am competitive but by no means "pointy" (i'd call it FOMOP or BOFOP). My husband is less dedicated to training, and it shows in his results.

It is a little exhausting, and we do sacrifice some of our together time and/or downtime. And the house is constantly a mess. But we are both happy, and we always have something to talk about.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmen in one house with small kids [Jwizzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My husband is less dedicated to training, and it shows in his results.

Ouch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good replies here but having my 4 children grown up now I would recommend what Sanuk said "You could focus more on the children and slowly start getting involved in activities they are interested in. It may expand your interests away from triathlons. There are a lot of things you can do with kids, that will give you excellent exercise, you don't have to do triathlons to be fit.

Or, just continue with sprints and work on improving your time.

And what kjmcawesome said "Wife and I used to go on running dates when we were first together. Then did a bunch of races together, 3 70.3's and an Ironman in 2013. She just ran in 2014 and found out she was pregnant the day after setting her marathon PR.
Our daughter is a year and a half and we have another girl on the way. I tried to keep racing and found it made me a worse husband, dad, employee, and triathlete than I wanted to be. Now I am focusing on doing less and doing it better.

I love our family hikes with the dog + baby in a backpack. I run a few days/week and ride when I have time. This will be my first year not racing a triathlon since 2008. And I'm ok with it. Took a while to get here, but I am finding much more enjoyment doing fewer things and doing them better than trying to do everything I/we did before kids.

Obviously every situation is different. We are eyeing 2020 as our "big comeback year"! Maybe I'll even try to KQ in 2021 before I turn 40. Maybe not.

I did sprints and oly's when they were young/growing up. Probably trained about 5 hours per week. Their mother ran a few road races.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmen in one house with small kids [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my wife and I both are into triathlon, endurance running before, and we have a 9 and 7 year old both into sports. Besides that, I also manage my son's baseball team. It's really about time management. My wife is not a morning person so I'm up at 4 am getting my workouts in before work on the weekdays and before the family gets up on the weekend. Saturdays are usually my long bike days and Sundays belong to my wife. I'm able to get things done and be home by noon and that still gives me the rest of the day with the family. It will be a bit tougher in a few weeks when soccer starts for both kids, but I'm sure we'll manage.

Last year my wife and I both did our first full IM, Tahoe, and this year we are training for IMAZ. It's definitely not easy, but manageable if you just plan with your spouse and work around all the other activities, including work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  1. Parent
  2. Career
  3. Ironman
  4. Spouse

Pick two, or maybe three if you are superwoman, that you want to be good at.

I hope that your first three priorities are 1) parenting, 2) parenting, and 3) parenting. Having kids is not about "convenience," of course.

(I missed the entire 40-44 age group after my first daughter was born)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmen in one house with small kids [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
My husband is less dedicated to training, and it shows in his results.

Ouch!

I know :) It's a running joke in our house - "Why are you training? You know that's cheating". My ironman PR is about 2.5 hours faster than his (where the training dedication really shows), 70.3 PR is 35 minutes faster, but we're pretty much tied at Oly and below. He would blow my PRs out of the water if he ever managed to string together 3-4 months of dedicated training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw it sounds like your kids are young. Once they start activities it becomes a different balancing act
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in a very similar situation - both me and my wife are into some sort of sport hobbies. I have been training and racing since 2012, she has been exclusively running for the same amount of time. We have a 9 year old and a 3 year old. She actually ran a Half Marathon 4 weeks after delivering our second one. And when she isnt running she is lifting and Crossfitting (is that even a word?)
Both of us have demanding jobs, and to top it off, the older one started select soccer last year - so thats 3 practices a week plus school plus tournaments and travelling on the weekends. To add to that this year, both the spawns are doing swim and the little one is starting her own sport.

To be honest, last year was horrendous, she was trying to get to the CF regionals, was trying to run 3 half marathons, I was training for an IM, son was playing soccer- we barely made it through the year with our sanity.

Our schedule is based on division of labor - I train in the mornings, while she deals with getting the kids ready for school. She trains in the evenings, while I deal with driving them back from school and taking them to practices, and dinner, and homework and bed.
Starting this year - we finally arrived at a happy middle - alternate years - for instance, this is her year - she gets to train and race to her hearts content, while I hold down the defenses. Next year, we swap - I train and race, and she holds down the defenses.

Its hard - there are no illusions around that - it will take a lot of planning, and a lot of being on the same page. Being able to keep the shit at work isolated and not bringing it home, lots of communication and being able to read minds, because believe me, there are going to be some days - when you just want to burn the place down, but if both of you work at it together- it is possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmen in one house with small kids [Swim_Bike_Rum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim_Bike_Rum wrote:
It's just a matter of building your life and schedule around training AND your kids. I have three small kids. My wife and I both train. She's a long time runner, but is getting into tris now. My wife and my training is largely invisible to the kids. The kids go to bed at 8 and so do we. I get up between 4-5 and do a 1-1.5 hr workout every day during the week, then do a 30 minute workout at lunch. So during the week, I'm home by the time the kids are up in the morning, and also in the evenings I'm home right after work. My wife doesn't work, and we have a gym that has a daycare. So she either goes there (the daycare is really nice and the kids love it) or does a trainer workout or runs on the treadmill during nap/tv time in the afternoon. On the weekends I get up at 4:30 and I'm back from my long ride/run by 10 then the my wife and kids all have swim lessons, then the rest of the day is ours (typically spent swimming). On Sunday my wife gets up at 5 and does her long run, then I do a brick after she gets back. We're all home by 10am and the rest of the day is the kids'.

So for a 10-12 hr/week baseline training schedule for me, and 7-8 for my wife, and the only time away from the kids is before 10am on the weekends. And in that time one of us is with them, so it's just not BOTH of us.

Things get a little dicey during IM builds, but that's really only the Saturday long ride and that only keeps me out until 12-1ish.

Just wait'll the kids get a little older and you have to start planning your schedule around their activities...

"They've done studies, ya know... 60% of the time, it works EVERY time."
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmen in one house with small kids [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Swim_Bike_Rum wrote:

Just wait'll the kids get a little older and you have to start planning your schedule around their activities...

And his wife doesn't work. OP sounded like both partners worked.

I think ken's advice is spot on.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmen in one house with small kids [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
  1. Parent
  2. Career
  3. Ironman
  4. Spouse
Pick two, or maybe three if you are superwoman, that you want to be good at.

I hope that your first three priorities are 1) parenting, 2) parenting, and 3) parenting. Having kids is not about "convenience," of course.

(I missed the entire 40-44 age group after my first daughter was born)

I do agree with this, but I think you can still have all of these things to some degree. No, you're not going to be an elite triathlete if you hope to be a good parent, spouse, and lawyer/writer/doctor/whatever, but you're going to be a resentful parent if you eliminate all the hobbies that inspire/motivate you. Triathlon training (not even racing so much as the daily workouts) keeps me sane, and my husband understands that. He desperately wants kids, and I'm desperately afraid of my very busy, very active life just suddenly unraveling if we have one. And maybe it will. I'm setting the bar exceedingly low so that I won't be disappointed when my training regimen goes out the window.

Also, I know a couple that has two young kids, and they race ultra marathons at least six times a year. Both parents have jobs. They make it work somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in this boat, although it was relatively easy until recently bc I didn't work full time. I resumed working full time this spring, so I have learned to get a lot more efficient with my time. Here are my top 5 tips for success in a dual athlete/parent/working household:

1. Indoor training. My treadmill and trainer and right next to each other in our laundry room and I use both a lot (less so in summer, but exclusively in winter). Makes it easy to train early or late or when the kids are home.

2. Sitters for long workouts. My husband works some weekends and sometimes I have a race or a long training day I want to do. On those occasions, I get a sitter or try to find playdates for my kids. It takes a village to raise an Ironman, and I have been lucky to have some people who have stepped in when I needed them.

3. Involve your kids. I used to try to make my training "invisible" to my family, but I also like to involve them. My kids have come to the track with me and ridden bikes or scooters while I ran, sat on the pool deck many, many times reading or playing games, and now that they're older, they swim in the lane next to me. We'll head out for a ride and try to get them to do the first big climb with us, or I will have my son keep me company on his bike while I do a brick run.

4. Be creative. Is the family all heading somewhere together? Have one person bike and meet everyone there. We do that type of thing all the time. Just last weekend, we were on vacation, and about an hour before we were ready to leave the beach, I set off on the road for a run and the family picked me up 6 miles down the road. Little things like that help us fit training into our routine without disrupting things too much.

5. Revise your goals. When you have young kids and a career, you may not be able to train and race the way you could before. Have different goals and revise expectations. Cut yourself some slack.

It's hard but I feel like we are setting a great example for our kids about goals, hard work, perseverance, disappointment, and never giving up.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmen in one house with small kids [jenschaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am fortunate in that I did not get the tri bug until I was 59 years old with kids long out of the house. But I will comment that one of my central beliefs in life is that you need to always treat your kids like they are the most important thing in your life. Yes, the reality is that we all have to work and that we like our fitness and other pursuits, but kids were always priority 1 in our house and our family activities while they were in the house centered around things like family camping and supporting their sports activities. My wife calls it "creating memories". Our kids have grown up to be successful and well-adjusted. They enjoy family get-togethers. My son works in psych / chemical dependency and the results of kids whose parents didn't prioritize what is important can be readily seen in broken people and families.

I like some of the ideas discussed here on how to weave training into family events and activities as well as the notion that couples alternate triathlon / training years while the kids are young.
Quote Reply