Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer?
Quote | Reply
Looking to purchase my first bike computer. My longer rides are killing my iPhone battery. I am just getting familiar with routes in my area and having good turn by turn navigation is my number 1 priority. I'm looking for recommendations on the best option for me. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Looking to purchase my first bike computer. My longer rides are killing my iPhone battery. I am just getting familiar with routes in my area and having good turn by turn navigation is my number 1 priority. I'm looking for recommendations on the best option for me. Thanks!

I don't have the answer, but subscribed to your post. I have been wondering this for same thing as a cpu would be way better than a way too long route sheet for long randonnée events like D2R2.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not know about best, but the Garmin 520 does a basic turn-by-turn feature. I have used it, and it works pretty well. The new Garmin 820 supposedly does for real turn-by-turn navigation. DCRainmaker has a decent discussion on the bike computers that offer this and how they perform.
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I should rephrase...If I find a route and download the GPX or TCX file. Which is my best option for turn by turn navigation...e.g. "Turn Right on Maple St."
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until last week, the Garmin 1000 or 810 was the answer.

Now, the nearly available 820 is probably better. If you prefer a bigger device (especially since you are currently using a phone), the 1000 may still be the winner.

Go to dcrainmaker and read the reviews of both. You'll then be very well informed! If you have any further questions, ask away on here and someone will know the answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the process I used on the 520-- downloaded a route that a friend created in Strava. Then, I followed it with the turn-by-turn mapping. From DCR's review, the 820 does this better than the 520. The other good option I have read about is the Wahoo Element.
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin has the market cornered, you only need to figure out which Garmin best suites your overall needs.
I use the 800 and it works great, I have done multiple 60-70 mile rides in new area just by following the Garmin, the key is making sure that your TCX file is done properly, as I have had a few rides where the file was off just by just a fraction and the Garmin went haywire (as far as sending me to the right roads).

----------------------------
http://www.cyclewisecoaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
This is the process I used on the 520-- downloaded a route that a friend created in Strava. Then, I followed it with the turn-by-turn mapping. From DCR's review, the 820 does this better than the 520. The other good option I have read about is the Wahoo Element.

^^This^^ is what I'm looking to do, as well as downloading from Ride with GPS. When you do this, does the 520 tell you when and where to turn, or just breadcrumb directions (e.g. "turn left" but not "turn left on Maple St")

I've been reading DCR but he doesn't seem to address the functionality of downloading routes too well, unless I'm just missing it entirely.
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm. I actually cannot remember. I know it says to turn, but I think that it tells me the street name. It has been a couple months since I used it that way. My two normal outdoor rides require no turns (a rails to trails out & back and a long loop inside a park).
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
This is the process I used on the 520-- downloaded a route that a friend created in Strava. Then, I followed it with the turn-by-turn mapping. From DCR's review, the 820 does this better than the 520. The other good option I have read about is the Wahoo Element.


^^This^^ is what I'm looking to do, as well as downloading from Ride with GPS. When you do this, does the 520 tell you when and where to turn, or just breadcrumb directions (e.g. "turn left" but not "turn left on Maple St")

I've been reading DCR but he doesn't seem to address the functionality of downloading routes too well, unless I'm just missing it entirely.


As far as I know, the 520 will not be able to tell you "turn left on Maple St" because it does not understand the map that you download from Strava and similar.

However,RidewithGPS includes course-points that indicate "Turn on Maple St". It is NOT the device figuring it out, it is additional information that RidewithGPS includes in their download. So, you can have those cues IF you get your map from RidewithGPS.

The 8xx series (and 1000) on the other hand, can actually read the map and come up with their own determination of "Turn right on Maple St.

One place you may notice the difference is that the 8xx and 1000 will have street names in the base maps.The included basemap in the 520 does not, but can be replaced with an open street map. I do not believe the Wahoo Elemnt displays street names nor has the ability for additional basemaps.

The above poster is a physiologist employed by Pearl Izumi. However, statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of PI in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
instagram.com/robertpickels
twitter.com/RobertPickels
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Jul 16, 16 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
ninagski wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
This is the process I used on the 520-- downloaded a route that a friend created in Strava. Then, I followed it with the turn-by-turn mapping. From DCR's review, the 820 does this better than the 520. The other good option I have read about is the Wahoo Element.


^^This^^ is what I'm looking to do, as well as downloading from Ride with GPS. When you do this, does the 520 tell you when and where to turn, or just breadcrumb directions (e.g. "turn left" but not "turn left on Maple St")

I've been reading DCR but he doesn't seem to address the functionality of downloading routes too well, unless I'm just missing it entirely.


As far as I know, the 520 will not be able to tell you "turn left on Maple St" because it does not understand the map that you download from Strava and similar.

However,RidewithGPS includes course-points that indicate "Turn on Maple St". It is NOT the device figuring it out, it is additional information that RidewithGPS includes in their download. So, you can have those cues IF you get your map from RidewithGPS.

The 8xx series (and 1000) on the other hand, can actually read the map and come up with their own determination of "Turn right on Maple St.

One place you may notice the difference is that the 8xx and 1000 will have street names in the base maps. I do not believe the Wahoo Elemnt or 5xx series does. They just show the lines of roads.
Before I lost my 520 I used it for navigating and it will display what street you're on. The base map provided by Garmin may be lacking but it's straightforward to load a map for a decent sized area from Openstreetmap (DC Rainmaker has instructions).

If you pay for RidewithGPS they will add turn indicators a variable number of meters prior to the turn. I didn't find it to be much of an advantage over the free maps generated by Ridewithgps.
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto gregf83... I replaced my 520 basemap with an OpenGPS map with all the detail.
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
I've been reading DCR but he doesn't seem to address the functionality of downloading routes too well, unless I'm just missing it entirely.


I spent way too many hours figuring out the Turn-by-Turn on the Elemnt Bolt a few days ago....[*Edit. And all the intricacies about why it works the way it does, why it won't re-route, and why there's two navigational modes] Losing way too much sleep over where I'd screwed up. Here's the low-down..... because if it can save people the same amount of time it took me to figure out... it's worth putting in a video! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccDMxcW1BuM

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava | Web
Last edited by: gplama: Aug 12, 17 15:55
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Looking to purchase my first bike computer. My longer rides are killing my iPhone battery. I am just getting familiar with routes in my area and having good turn by turn navigation is my number 1 priority. I'm looking for recommendations on the best option for me. Thanks!

So, how long are you long rides?

Seems using ones smart phone with google maps would be pretty good.

I have ordered a smart phone mount for my bike that has an additional battery brick in it that I can use to give me more battery time on my smart phone. Have you considered something like this?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I spent way too many hours figuring out the Turn-by-Turn on the Elemnt Bolt a few days ago

Seriously?

I'm no techno-whiz and was able to figure out in less than 60 seconds of Googling a few months ago. The answer is RidewithGPS. Wahoo has a support article on it that is one of the first search results.
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just expected it would work. Easily. It was far from it. We're 12 months since turn by turn was introduced on the Elemnt... that's a long time in technology. Cues being stripped from Strava, then just 'using' RideWithGPS wasn't any good. That tip in itself isn't the answer. You have to use RideWithGPS to create the cues because that's all the Elemnt/Bolt uses. It does next to nothing on the head unit other than show cues. I wanted a better understanding of why it was so different.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava | Web
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I admit that I haven't done this myself, but I did give it some thought recently, and my THEORETICAL solution (means I haven't tried it yet) would be:

Use your phone + a good external battery pack in a proper phone-visible case

You'd have to DIY it a little bit, but here' what I'd do:

Buy a case like this
https://www.amazon.com/...bike+phone+tube+case
Note how the case allows the phone screen to be visible and used

Buy an external battery pack for your phone. These will be about the same size as your phone, but thicker

Now the DIY part - punch a hole in the case so you can run the microUSB (or whatever charging cable) through to the phone compartment.

Might need to reinforce the phone-cable connections somehow (not sure how myself yet!)

But you'd then be able to run GPS-enalbed Google maps on your phone for 4 hours with a good battery pack!
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
I just expected it would work. Easily. It was far from it. We're 12 months since turn by turn was introduced on the Elemnt... that's a long time in technology. Cues being stripped from Strava, then just 'using' RideWithGPS wasn't any good. That tip in itself isn't the answer. You have to use RideWithGPS to create the cues because that's all the Elemnt/Bolt uses. It does next to nothing on the head unit other than show cues. I wanted a better understanding of why it was so different.

The Elemnt didn't strip the cues from Strava, Strava doesn't properly export them. That's a Strava problem. If you spent hours figuring this out that's on you as the information is very clearly available from Wahoo and others, you just plunged ahead without reading Wahoo's online directions or taking the simple steps necessary to understand your head unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am buying one of these

https://abcotechbrand.com/...hone-holder-charger/

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heheh, thanks...this is an old thread!

Long since figured this out with a Garmin 1000, that I got as a gift. (woohoo!) Syncs to Garmin Connect, Strava and Training Peaks.
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I am buying one of these

https://abcotechbrand.com/...hone-holder-charger/

No phone protector on that one when you sweat on it?!
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm only going to share my recent experience. I downloaded a gpx course off Strava and uploaded it to my Garmin Edge 820. Turn-by-turn was flawless and I also collected all of my power data, etc. During a recent trip for France, I used my Garmin Edge 810 as a dedicated routing computer on my stem and the 820 on the bars for data collection. I know people have had issues with all sorts of computers (including Garmin). Maybe I just lucked out, but I found it to be pretty simple. Not idiot proof, but not that hard.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
I am buying one of these

https://abcotechbrand.com/...hone-holder-charger/


No phone protector on that one when you sweat on it?!

I have never had a sweating issue on the bike that I am aware of. I might find out differently.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I am buying one of thesehttps://abcotechbrand.com/...hone-holder-charger/[/quote[/url]]

Dave
I wonder if, with all the weight hinging on the end mount point, that it might tend to want to bounce a bit more than is good??
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn navigation - Best Bike Computer? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
The Elemnt didn't strip the cues from Strava, Strava doesn't properly export them. That's a Strava problem. If you spent hours figuring this out that's on you as the information is very clearly available from Wahoo and others, you just plunged ahead without reading Wahoo's online directions or taking the simple steps necessary to understand your head unit.

Calm it down mate. I didn't say Wahoo strip them, I said they were being stripped from Strava (responsibility undefined). I then ask Strava to include them in their exports about three times in the video I posted.

So let's call it a draw when it comes to doing our research, ok?

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava | Web
Quote Reply

Prev Next