Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Turf toe from running :(
Quote | Reply
Hey Gang,

A couple weeks before Princeton 70.3 (September) I started to get Plantar Fasilitis. Trying to cure that, I changed shoes and mixed up some things, which turned the injury into really bad turf toe. I'm still struggling with it

I stopped running for 1.5 weeks and it was feeling fine. I ran today and it came right back.

I have googled and not found much about it.

Please share any helpful input and how you successful dealt with it :(

Thanks
Last edited by: elag: Nov 22, 14 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: Turf toe from running :( [elag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well what did you Google? There is a ton of info

"turf toe"
"turf toe taping"
"turf toe recovery time"

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got this when I changed shoes.

First, make sure it is turf toe and nothing something else. My doctors #1 diagnostic procedure is to jump up and down on the affected foot.. if it doesn't hurt, then nothing is broke.. maybe just turf toe.

So he had me do a turf toe tape (many results on google)... basically wrap a ring of athletic tape around the middle of my foot, wrap a ring around my big toe... run some thingers between them. Stopped big toe from bending, let my turf toe recover as I ran over 3-4 weeks.

The downside: No matter how I taped, I got blisters from the tape. So I had to have a lot of blisters as my turf toe healed... when it was healed and I stopped taping, blisters went away and all was well.

Turf toe does take a while to heal, but its not the kind of injury that should 100% sideline you. I went down to 50% mileage as it healed as I didn't really need to do huge miles (was training for an Oly tri).
Last edited by: TunaBoo: Nov 22, 14 13:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turf toe (1st MTP joint capsulitis) is an acute injury, not an overuse one.

Many things can inflame the great toe joint.

Turf toe taping IS helpful for many people (use the porous cloth sports tape like Kendall Coviden and better yet with an adhesive spray) and you should do this for your day to day activities as well for your runs (if you are trying to run through)

Also, a stiff carbon insert with rigid Morton's extension is helpful for a while after until it resolves.

Figure on about 3 weeks at least though. Often as long as 6.

Quote | Reply
Wear shoes with a rigid (not flexible) toe box for at least 3, up to 6 weeks. Don't tape if there is any swelling.
Quote Reply