Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tufo Glue Tape
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used this product yet? Good, bad or indifferent experiences? If I go ahead and use it should I leave a small blank spot like one does when glueing for easy flat changes?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Tufo Glue Tape [JAY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't used it, but I am told that this pressure activated tape will make it tough to change a tire on the side of the road since it will take a while to release. I haven't tried it though. I just stick with regular glue for my race wheels. Yes, it is messy to put on, but no biggie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the tape and the mechanic at my LBS suggested I just put about 5 pieces on around the wheel to make it easier to change the tire. He said it would still hold enough for a tri. I did that but thought the wheels were kind of lumpy so I pealed that stuff off. That was last July and my thumbs still hurt! I'm using glue now and my wheels are still lumpy. I think I just have to get better at glueing. :) About all I can tell you is that tape is really sticky. My experience with it was pretty limited so this probably isn't much help.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never used the tape myself, but recall reading a short review on Canadian pro triathlete Tereza Macel's website. Check out this link http://www.terezamacel.com/go_fast.html and scroll down to the "What's Hot" section. Judging from the rest of the site, her husband, who writes the review, seems pretty knowledgeable.

http://www.bytowntriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tufo Glue Tape [teamwhitedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That link is for a review of the Jantex tape which is now Zefal branded. Tereza's husband, Chris, used to work for me before they moved out West and the Jantex/Zefal tape is what we use in the shop. It works very well. Aside from being much cleaner to work with, especially if you are inexperienced, you can also ride it right away (glue needs to be left overnight) and it is less effected by temperature.

We have a sample of the TUFO tape and, while it is probably fine, we prefer the Jantex/Zefal stuff. We have also used the Simson tape and it is great but now very hard to find. It would leave more of a residue on the rim, making on-the-road tire changes more secure. The one downside to the Jantex/Zefal tape is it sticks almost entirely to the tire when you peel the old tire off leaving nothing behind. So remember, after a tire change on the road, take it easy on the corners and descents until you get home and can tape on a fresh tire properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a decent write up of using this tape on Nimble's site here: http://www.nimble.net/subpages/tufotape.html. They still prefer glue to the tape but I guess they find the tape a reasonable and reliable alternative.
Quote Reply