Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's?
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions for trails/routes (safe ones) for a week of fun & sun while visiting in Tucson, AZ area in early March? Pools/Master's swims, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Any suggestions for trails/routes (safe ones) for a week of fun & sun while visiting in Tucson, AZ area in early March? Pools/Master's swims, etc.

I'm sure you'll get suggestions, but desertdude and 115intheshade are both Tucson residents. You could ping them, Billy (115) is always looking for people to go run/ride with.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For riding, Mt Lemmon, is of course the big thing, and it's everything it's built it up to be. It is one of the classic road mountain climbs in cycling in North America. It does not disappoint at any level!

Other riding opportunities are going to be dependent on where you are situated in Tucson? Will you be riding from the front door? Will you have access to a car?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jan 22, 16 12:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

The shoot-out and twins peaks are two other good routes. Not sure if you can just drop into master's program anywhere but tons of public pools and cheap ($2).

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://clippedin.bike/best-arizona-cycling-routes/

I'm planning an AZ trip for later this year. 1, 5, 10 and 12 were the Tucson rides that interested me, plus the shootout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: Shootout...be careful. 3 guys in front of me went down right across the road and after a near miraculous bunny hop over them I landed elbow first ripping the skin of the elbow for 15 stitches. Thankfully Samantha McGlone and a friend were riding back of the group and that friend was a Dr (from Canada which was cool as I am Canuck) who took my socks off, wrapped my wound with said socks, so I could ride the 30K back to my house and onto the hospital for the stitch up. It was an epic day 1 of camp to say the least. one of the guys i nearly got over was with Endurance Corner and his Zipp 404 took the brunt of collision. pooched wheel last day of his camp sucked too.

This was 2011. Since then i understand the road is paved a bit better as potholes caused the crash.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
... and that friend was a Dr (from Canada which was cool as I am Canuck) who took my socks off, wrapped my wound with said socks, so I could ride the 30K back to my house and onto the hospital for the stitch up.

what, the Canadian doc didn't make you get approval and wait 6 weeks for an appointment?
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i trust you meant that in pink?

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, if the ice skate fits ...
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
hey, if the ice skate fits ...

I believe you meant "if the ice skates fit..." Because skates come in pairs. Like shoes. And they fit...like a glove...not fits....like a troll.

Or not. Depending on where you're from.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since then i understand the road is paved a bit better as potholes caused the crash.

The locals would know better, but there are some sections of the traditional Shoot Out course that have been up-graded and paved.

I've not done the ride myself, but have ridden portions of the roads used on the outer section. The pavement on some sections was Paris-Roubaix brutal! But this was 3-years ago.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input folks. Mt. Lemmon certainly sounds fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had to re-do my training camp in Tucson from 2 years ago again, I would've found a place near the base of Lemmon and then just ride that everyday. Road surface is great, it's a wonderful climb and it's much safer than any of the other routes I tried in Tucson. Running - trail-run Sabino Canyon, any of the canyons actually, and swim, there are a ton of options but U of AZ pool is amazing. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bc I'm old, fat and slow doesn't mean I don't like riding with people;-)

Well people who don't start their rides at the butt crack of dawn of course.

That's just uncivilized.

OP - PM me for info if you want. Be warned though a lot of the roads suck around here. There are good sections as well, but they often link the awesome scenery bad road sections.

I'd say another climb worth doing, maybe more so than Lemmon is Kitt Peak.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just finished arranging travel to Tucson for week of Feb 8th, then searched slowtwitch for stuff to do there. Its amazing this post came up today.

I wont be able to bring a bike so you locals please turn me onto a good place to rent them, both road and mountain. I will also need a good masters group or just a nice pool, and good trail running places. Lastly, any references for a resort type place to stay that will be convenient to the aforementioned activities will be much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [Orbeabikerider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fairwheel bikes by U of A campus rent Specialized carbon bikes. They are great and my fave shop in town.

Triports.com rents bikes too. Far more selection. Closed on Sunday's as I recall? Check their website for hours. They are great too.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you recommend a cushy place to call home? Team GreatScott is considering a trip to Arizona for mid-winter break (February) and debating Tuscon vs Scottsdale. Getting the family (kids 10 and 13) set up at a cush poolside pad is the first priority. Then dad can sneak out for some SBR.

JW Mariott is the top search result at the moment. What say you locals?

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Jan 24, 16 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
For riding, Mt Lemmon, is of course the big thing, and it's everything it's built it up to be. It is one of the classic road mountain climbs in cycling in North America. It does not disappoint at any level!

Other riding opportunities are going to be dependent on where you are situated in Tucson? Will you be riding from the front door? Will you have access to a car?

I can't believe I haven't done it yet. Been wanting to bad. I guess it comes down to cost benefit, except the cost is the pain my wife will put me through for taking another hour and a half each way to get there. Maybe when the kids are older.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The JW Marriott is a great place (I'm a local). It's close to everything in town and to all the rides you want to do except for Mt Lemmon. You'll have to ride cross town (1hr 15min I'd say) for that or drive and park at Le Buzz cafe like a lot of people do.

Definitely check out the Saturday Shootout if you need a good workout. There's a much less famous Tuesday Shootout that's shorter and goes west and up the back side of Gates Pass. Bicycle Ranch has a ride up to the Ritz Carlton, more mellow ride, but much nicer road.
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [russianbear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may want to check out The Lodge at Ventana Canyon. 50 room suite hotel. 8 lane lap pool, resort style pool w/ Jacuzzi. Three miles from Sabino Canyon for running. You can ride east to Mt. Lemmon, South to Old Spanish Trail or west to Oro Valley.

If you are interested let me know. I can probably get you a deal on a room depending on availability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides Lemon, Gates pass and Madera Canyon are great rides.
If you contact Dolphins they may let you drop into their master swim groups. Sundays are great (hour and 45 min) workouts. http://www.dolphinsofthedesert.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [russianbear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russianbear wrote:
The JW Marriott is a great place (I'm a local). It's close to everything in town and to all the rides you want to do except for Mt Lemmon. You'll have to ride cross town (1hr 15min I'd say) for that or drive and park at Le Buzz cafe like a lot of people do.

Definitely check out the Saturday Shootout if you need a good workout. There's a much less famous Tuesday Shootout that's shorter and goes west and up the back side of Gates Pass. Bicycle Ranch has a ride up to the Ritz Carlton, more mellow ride, but much nicer road.

Cool, thanks for the input. Based on this thread (thanks OP!), Fairwheel has a bike waiting for me that I'm planning to take up and down Lemmon 2/19. I'd love to follow that with the Saturday Shootout, but no time this trip.

My next challenge is figuring out what to pack. The weather on Lemmon is all over the place. What do the locals wear / pack for the climb and descent? SS jersey for the climb with knee warmers, arm warmers, a beanie and vest for the descent?

How much time is typical for mortals to do the climb and return to Le Buzz cafe? Should I stop for some pie? What else?

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Jan 29, 16 18:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just call Paul Thomas, the king of Tucson...! pt.gofast@gmail.com

Kenny Souza
Last edited by: kennysouza: Jan 29, 16 18:33
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [kennysouza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks King of Duathlon!
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, AZ rides & runs, pools/Master's? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knee warmers, arm warmers, vest, undershirt, gloves & I almost always wear some sort of wind booties in the winter.

It's about 2:15-2:30 to climb it iirc.

I ride from my house but it's only 15-17 to the base.

The pie is over rated, Le Buzz is ok I guess, but it's the see & be seen place and if not that the starting place for many a rider heading up.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next