Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular latex vs clincher latex air loss rate
Quote | Reply
I used to ride tubular latex about 10 yrs ago , lately I've been trying clinchers with a latex tube in them.

It might be old man syndrome but the tubular would loose air really fast. Pretty much over night they would get to 30 psi. These are road tires so back then I bet I was riding close to 110-100 psi.

Now with the clinchers I'm running about 90 psi and heck 2 days later the have enough air to go for a ride 80-70 psi.

Did something change in latex ability to hold air.? Are clinchers somehow helping them hold more air ? Seems doubtful. Maybe I'm just old and don't remember tubulars that well. Likely.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular latex vs clincher latex air loss rate [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
I used to ride tubular latex about 10 yrs ago , lately I've been trying clinchers with a latex tube in them.

It might be old man syndrome but the tubular would loose air really fast. Pretty much over night they would get to 30 psi. These are road tires so back then I bet I was riding close to 110-100 psi.

Now with the clinchers I'm running about 90 psi and heck 2 days later the have enough air to go for a ride 80-70 psi.

Did something change in latex ability to hold air.? Are clinchers somehow helping them hold more air ? Seems doubtful. Maybe I'm just old and don't remember tubulars that well. Likely.

Probably just better valves? Did you ever check the tightness of your old tubular valves? ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular latex vs clincher latex air loss rate [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My tubular tires with latex inner tube don't lose air that quick. If I pump them up to 110 psi the night before, then they would end up at around 80 psi the next morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular latex vs clincher latex air loss rate [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You aren't accounting for the volume of air that goes into the pump's hose.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Apr 19, 17 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using C02 by chance? If so, the tires lose about 2x faster.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply