Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular Spare/Fix a flat for IM
Quote | Reply
I borrowed someone's Zipp wheels for next weekend and they are tubulars which I have never used before. I could borrow a spare tire but dont know that I want to mess with changing it anyway if I needed to and would probably take me forever. I know they are less prone to flat than clinchers, but wondering what the best plan is as a backup.

How often does race support usually come around? And will they have spares and help change or only help change if you have a spare?

I know there are some products like the slime stuff you spray in and then can refill the tire with Co2. Depending on how far into the race, does that fix most flats and would it be a pretty good solution rather than carrying the spare?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Spare/Fix a flat for IM [the V] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first thing most folks will try is a can of vittoria pitstop or similar (the slime stuff you refer to).
If that doesn't work, time to rip the old tire off, pull the new one on, and inflate with co2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. Is that a good enough approach to bank on this stuff and then wait for support if it comes to that?
Just dont think I am re-gluing a tire quick for the first time. But would like to use these wheels instead of stock ones for the speed gain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pitstop will generally do the trick unless you have a pretty serious gash. You might need an additional co2 after using the pit stop though depending on how quickly it seals. don't even worry about taking an extra tubular tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Spare/Fix a flat for IM [runbikebeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach has a good write up on his blog about tubular spares.

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2011/10/gold-standard-gear-best-tubular-spare.html

Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Spare/Fix a flat for IM [MDSICT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bring a spare and box cutter. You'll change it faster than clincher. It's easier than changing clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding tubulars for 12 im and have never flatted. originally I used the zipp tangent but they lose their air so fast I was never sure what my psi was during the race. I switched to conti competitions which hold their air much better.
I have flatted while training with the conti tubulars and the vittoria pitstop only worked after several hours. this obviously wouldn't work during a race.
now I carry a spare tubular that has a couple of coats of dried glue. the conti competions fit so tight on the zipp disc and 606s I have that this would work during a race If needed.
make sure you bring the needed valve extenders or tools to remove them from the flat. also enough co2.
hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Spare/Fix a flat for IM [bcendrars456] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcendrars456 wrote:
I have been riding tubulars for 12 im and have never flatted. originally I used the zipp tangent but they lose their air so fast I was never sure what my psi was during the race. I switched to conti competitions which hold their air much better.
I have flatted while training with the conti tubulars and the vittoria pitstop only worked after several hours. this obviously wouldn't work during a race.
now I carry a spare tubular that has a couple of coats of dried glue. the conti competions fit so tight on the zipp disc and 606s I have that this would work during a race If needed.
make sure you bring the needed valve extenders or tools to remove them from the flat. also enough co2.
hope this helps
The conti hold air better cause of the butyl tube.
Veloflex for example have latex which hold the air kinda good.
The conti are a pita to get on but are for sure reliable.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Spare/Fix a flat for IM [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks guys, I appreciate the help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use Pitstop and keep the tire on permanently, is it a good idea to drain the Pitstop out after the race? Seems like any liquid in the tire would add extra rolling resistance, and it could turn to solid with enough time. Anyone know how the Pitstop actually works? Curious how it can dry and seal a hole but not dry while exposed to air in the tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Spare/Fix a flat for IM [SPL Tech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's that old adage about not trying anything new on race day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I had my first tubular flat in 4 years yesterday at the 93km mark of a 95km ride. It was a Velofelx carbon tubie with about 600km on it.
I have had so few flats, that I had never had the opportunity to try my can of vittoria pitstop.....so I thought "Great. good opportunity to try this out!".
I use a black zipp valve extender on the Veloflexes, never have any issue pumping them up. So I put the pitstop can on, no go, white stuff starts building up around the top of the valve and pitstop container, would not go into the tire, no idea why. Tire didn't pump up at all. Tried pushing the can on a few different times, no go.
Now, i didn't have the full 'flat kit' I'd normally carry in an IM event, ie. razor blade and extra CO2, spare tire.
So I rode the last couple km's on the flat tire, and thought, "great, when I get home, this will also give me a chance to try the razor blade for the first time. OK, so got home, and was able to make a cut big enough across the tread to get a finger or two in, and yanked. Nothing. lol. Apparently I had this tire glued on well! Took ten minutes of more cutting and wrestling with it. Once I actually cut down into most of the base tape and got a little off the rim, the whole tire started to come off easy...

I'm really glad this happened since I've not yet faced this situation in a triathlon race. Has me thinking:

1. I left a good portion of the tire still connected to the rim, as I plan to perhaps find a better razor to use, and see if I can learn/practice to cut through to the base tape faster. Any particular type of razor/exacto blade you guys use for this without slicing your hand open?
2. I think I used one tube of glue on this wheel. I think it was the white mastik stuff (although I usually use conti glue). So now I'm thinking that even though it will raise the rolling resistance, I may need to use less glue in the future on my race wheels.
3. Not buying Vittoria pitstop any more. I do have a can of the caffe latex stuff, so will carry that from now on, and hopefully have better luck.
or
4. Time to switch to clinchers??? :)

BTW - my method for gluing my tubies over the past several years has been to put glue evenly on rim, pull on new semi inflated tire, straighten, inflate a bit more, straighten, inflate to pressure and leave overnight.
When I read about folks who put like two layers of glue on the rim, one on the tire, 3 days, etc.......I can't imagine trying to get that tire back off the rim after a flat!!!
Last edited by: gibson00: Sep 22, 14 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Spare/Fix a flat for IM [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
Well, I had my first tubular flat yesterday at the 93km mark of a 95km ride. It was a Velofelx carbon tubie with about 600km on it.
I have had so few flats, that I had never had the opportunity to try my can of vittoria pitstop.....so I thought "Great. good opportunity to try this out!".
I use a black zipp valve extender on the Veloflexes, never have any issue pumping them up. So I put the pitstop can on, no go, white stuff starts building up around the top of the valve and pitstop container, would not go into the tire, no idea why. Tire didn't pump up at all. Tried pushing the can on a few different times, no go.
Now, i didn't have the full 'flat kit' I'd normally carry in an IM event, ie. razor blade and extra CO2, spare tire.
So I rode the last couple km's on the flat tire, and thought, "great, when I get home, this will also give me a chance to try the razor blade for the first time. OK, so got home, and was able to make a cut big enough across the tread to get a finger or two in, and yanked. Nothing. lol. Apparently I had this tire glued on well! Took ten minutes of more cutting and wrestling with it. Once I actually cut down into most of the base tape and got a little off the rim, the whole tire started to come off easy...

I'm really glad this happened since I've not yet faced this situation in a triathlon race. Has me thinking:

1. I left a good portion of the tire still connected to the rim, as I plan to perhaps find a better razor to use, and see if I can learn/practice to cut through to the base tape faster. Any particular type of razor/exacto blade you guys use for this without slicing your hand open?
2. I think I used one tube of glue on this wheel. I think it was the white mastik stuff (although I usually use conti glue). So now I'm thinking that even though it will raise the rolling resistance, I may need to use less glue in the future on my race wheels.
3. Not buying Vittoria pitstop any more. I do have a can of the caffe latex stuff, so will carry that from now on, and hopefully have better luck.
or
4. Time to switch to clinchers??? :)

I had a flat a few weeks ago on my tubulars. I had a can of the Hutchinson Fast Air which had the tube and a thingy on the end to attach to the valve. Some came out at the valve but the tire sealed ok and inflated just fine. Rode 10 miles home with no issues and continued to use the tire for a few more weeks until I put a new one one for Savageman. In my n=1 experience, Fast Air works!
Quote Reply